"Beneath the Atlantic, remains of Air France 447 finally found" (02/05/11) Watch

metro2610
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know the news about Bin Laden kind of outweighs this today, however, I think this is still very important, despite it's lack of media coverage.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/02...-atlantic.html

EDIT: CNN's report (more pictures): http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/eu...der/index.html

Almost two years ago, Air France Flight 447 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean during a severe storm. So far, experts have only been able to make educated guesses about what brought the plane down—with attention focusing on faulty air speed sensors in the Airbus A330-200. Now, there's a possibility that we can learn something more concrete about this crash.

On Sunday, deep-sea robots recovered the flight data recorder from Air France Flight 447.
What a day for news.

Thoughts?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Saw this on the news last night, it's good. Airbus and Air France had both been in for stick about it - some justified, some unjustified - so if we're now going to be able to find out some truth, then so much the better.

Doesn't necessarily help those who lost people, but any way they can get some closure is good.
desku
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Were there any survivors?
metro2610
Rep:
?
(Original post by desku)
Were there any survivors?
All 228 passengers were killed, but not all of their bodies have been recovered.
metro2610
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Saw this on the news last night, it's good. Airbus and Air France had both been in for stick about it - some justified, some unjustified - so if we're now going to be able to find out some truth, then so much the better.

Doesn't necessarily help those who lost people, but any way they can get some closure is good.
Exactly.

The whole event's been in the dark from a media perspective for almost two years and hopefully the discovery will shead some light on how it happened.

Like you say, it wont bring those people back, but at least they are getting nearer to some closure.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm glad that Air France and the French Government stuck with it and held out hope of recovering the flight recorders, maybe we'll finally learn what happened. People forget that flight recorder info isn't just important in investigating that specific crash, but in improving aircraft designs so that lives aren't lost in the future.
Dude Where's My Username
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:lolwut: Why is a story of this magnitude so far under the radar????? :lolwut:
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
It's been completely overshadowed by the Bin Laden news and, to be more of a cynic, it's news that isn't of much interest to the British news networks because there were only 5 British victims.

It is on the beeb's world news page on the 'net, but it's only one of the bylines.
The Cornerstone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bin Laden's story has overshadowed every story today. I don't even know what else happened apart from this!
metro2610
Rep:
?
I know, it's crazy, right?

It came up briefly on CNN this afternoon in between all the replaying Bin Laden reports. But it was 15 seconds worth of footage, seriously. Even on an international news network!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise