Will the UK or US allow a gay prime minster/president? Watch

Prokaryotic_crap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
will the UK/US be able to tolerate this?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UK moreso than the US owing to our system, I'd have thought.

Don't see the issue myself, if they're the right person for the job they're the right person for the job.

[Some would argue that with Mandelson pulling the strings behind Blair and Brown we've already had one, and wasn't one of the PMs from decades ago gay, just not publicly?]
Lewis :D
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
UK moreso than the US owing to our system, I'd have thought.

Don't see the issue myself, if they're the right person for the job they're the right person for the job.

[Some would argue that with Mandelson pulling the strings behind Blair and Brown we've already had one, and wasn't one of the PMs from decades ago gay, just not publicly?]
Apparently Edward Heath was gay
placebo24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The UK most probably will, but the Americans? I doubt it. Just look at the GOP... many of them would be enraged.

I'm glad we're not as backwards as our colonial cousins.
User414413
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will the people? For US, no. For UK, maybe.
Scott1541
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A homosexual president in the United States WILL get assassinated very quickly.

As for the UK, by that time we would probably have been fed too much PC bull**** to oppose it. There would probably be a TV campaign telling you that if you are against having a gay PM you are homophobic evil or something.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sure someone will point out that we've already had one ages ago but he wasn't openly gay (I assume so anyway - I don't know).

I don't think that britain is particularly homophobic, but I get the impression that the US won't be as accepting.
magnum.opus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by m0man)
I hope not.
:curious:...

Anyway, back to the main point. I don't think the U.S. would allow it :no: There is only a slight majority of Americans who are are pro-gay marriage now, and the election of a gay president would require much more support.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well seeing as we don't elect PMs, it's down to the parties whether and whether they're willing to vote in a gay party leader. I would expect Labour to do so within 20 years, and the Tories to follow promptly afterwards, and if they do it at the right time then it's entirely possible yes.

I don't think that the widespread homophobia amongst the voting population which some people perceive to be there is real. Most of those who are homophobic either vote for non-parties like the BNP or don't vote because they don't understand politics.

I wouldn't vote for someone because they're gay, but I do think it would be a step in the right direction.

However, in the US? Never. The democrats would never risk it, the republicans would be outraged and third parties and independents are almost always unsuccessful at every level of government in the US, let alone the presidency.
Bella Occhi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say that the UK would probably be more permissive than the US for several reasons - we were the first to have a female Prime Minister (they still haven't had a female President), we have several gay or lesbian MPs already (not sure about the US), Britain as a whole seems to be less religious than the US.
Tesphena
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott1541)

As for the UK, by that time we would probably have been fed too much PC bull**** to oppose it. There would probably be a TV campaign telling you that if you are against having a gay PM you are homophobic.
Well if you're against having a gay PM because he is gay that is homophobic. If you're against having a gay PM because you disagree with his or her politics though thats totally fine.

I personally don't think the U.K is ready. Such an election would quickly become more about the candidate's sexuality rather than his actual beliefs.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott1541)

As for the UK, by that time we would probably have been fed too much PC bull**** to oppose it. There would probably be a TV campaign telling you that if you are against having a gay PM you are homophobic.
Well if you're opposed to having someone as your prime minister because of their sexuality, that is homophobic, is it not?
hxecute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the UK will be more open to the idea of a gay PM than the US would be to a gay president, but not by much. The US has never had a female president, but the UK has never had a black PM. Either way, in the near future, I doubt many people will be up in arms about it, especially now that being homosexual is widely accepted.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hxecute)
I think the UK will be more open to the idea of a gay PM than the US would be to a gay president, but not by much. The US has never had a female president, but the UK has never had a black PM. Either way, in the near future, I doubt many people will be up in arms about it, especially now that being homosexual is widely accepted.
49% of Americans think Homosexuality should be accepted by society. 40% think it shouldn't.
71% of Britons think Homosexuality should be accepted by society. 21% think it shouldn't.
http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/258.pdf

I think the UK would be a lot more open towards it
magnum.opus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lewis :D)
49% of Americans think Homosexuality should be accepted by society. 40% think it shouldn't.
71% of Britons think Homosexuality should be accepted by society. 21% think it shouldn't.
http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/258.pdf

I think the UK would be a lot more open towards it
This is 4 years old. The numbers in America right now are like 51% in favor and 38 % against, if I remember correctly. But you're right, the UK is much more accepting.
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would like to think that the majority people would have the intelligence and common sense to vote for a person because of who they are and not what they are.

Maybe im just a dreamer...
tieyourmotherdown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The UK could quite easily, the US I'd imagine would be more problematic. That said, a gay candidate would obviously be from the Democrats, and I imagine the majority of Democrats wouldn't see it as an issue so I definitely wouldn't rule it out.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by magnum.opus)
This is 4 years old. The numbers in America right now are like 51% in favor and 38 % against, if I remember correctly. But you're right, the UK is much more accepting.
Oh thanks, do you have a link for the new one? I found this survey interesting you see, and it would be nice to see a more updated version
Einheri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as they weren't a fairy I wouldn't mind, but I don't think someone effeminate like Louie Spence would be a suitable representative.
DVnotDivvy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bella Occhi)
I'd say that the UK would probably be more permissive than the US for several reasons - we were the first to have a female Prime Minister (they still haven't had a female President), we have several gay or lesbian MPs already (not sure about the US), Britain as a whole seems to be less religious than the US.
We've had female Prime Minister? Oh, do you mean that mannish thing that ruled Britain during the 80s?

But yea, Britain will probably have no problem electing Ed Milliband as PM. As for the US, they will never elect an OPENLY gay President.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads