The Student Room Group

French Oral on Wednesday -- having an actual breakdown

Okay, my title is a bit of an exaggeration, but my French oral is on Wednesday morning, and I am so stressed out and feel so nervous. I just feel like there is so much pressure to do well, and because I am one of the top linguists in my class, I always feel like my teacher expects so much of me :confused: So that's my dilemma. I've been doing some practice with my family and friends but I just feel so stressed out when talking to them, I have no idea how I'm going to handle the actual exam. Any tips on how to calm down/ words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
When I had to do both oral exams, I would just write down every possible question I could think of to feel as prepared as possible. Why don't you try just talking out loud to yourself? Why do you feel stressed out when talking to your family and friends? Just think, it doesn't last long at all; I know you feel pressured but you can only do your best! Just try to think positively :smile: you will be fine xx
French Oral sounds so dirty :biggrin:
Reply 3
french oral you say... :sexface:
Hey,
So, first of all, stop worrying! I'm sure you'll do really well!
Here are some tips I found help me speak fluently without feeling uncomfortable;
- Apparently, talking to yourself whilst doing daily tasks gets your brain used to speaking in the language and helps pronunciation. Plus, you might feel a bit more comfortable talking alone rather than in front of/with other people.
-What I did for my Welsh oral (that really helped) was to talk to my friend Sasha (who speaks more Welsh than me). I would talk to her, and she would correct me. It was annoying because she was really picky but it did really help.
-My dad's friend, who speaks fluent French, comes to visit me every Friday and we talk together in French. It makes me feel alot more comfortable whilst doing classroom oral tests and I'm hoping it will be the same when I do the real thing.
You shouldn't feel pressured into doing well for your teacher, you should want to do well for yourself. Sure, it's good if your teacher thinks well of you, but it doesn't really matter if they don't. Do the best that you can do and don't worry about what other people will think. As long as you're happy with the results, that's all that really matters.
Hope I helped good luck in your exam, tell me how you did :smile:
Reply 5
Something that I found really useful when doing my exam were certain words and phrases that you could use as fillers, like ''Je crois que....'' (I believe that...), ''à mon avis'' (in my opinion)...etc :smile:

When using these phrases I felt that it gave me an extra second or two to get my thoughts together. Surprisingly, those two seconds are actually quite helpful although it doesnt seem like a very long time.

Also, if you touch on certain subjects (like the environment or something like that), make sure that you actually have some opinions/ something prepared on that subject. This is what tended to happen during my exam..if you bring up certain subjects, you are expected to be able to talk about them some more. It might be different for your exam, however :smile:

Take some deep breaths before you go in there and just relax! If you get panicky, this may affect your performance because you could forget what you were going to say or you may stutter or something like that.

Seriously though, you'll be fine! :biggrin: It will be over before you know it. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by HappyFrenchy-x
Hey,
Here are some tips I found help me speak fluently without feeling uncomfortable;
- Apparently, talking to yourself whilst doing daily tasks gets your brain used to speaking in the language and helps pronunciation. Plus, you might feel a bit more comfortable talking alone rather than in front of/with other people.
-What I did for my Welsh oral (that really helped) was to talk to my friend Sasha (who speaks more Welsh than me). I would talk to her, and she would correct me. It was annoying because she was really picky but it did really help.
-My dad's friend, who speaks fluent French, comes to visit me every Friday and we talk together in French. It makes me feel alot more comfortable whilst doing classroom oral tests and I'm hoping it will be the same when I do the real thing.
You shouldn't feel pressured into doing well for your teacher, you should want to do well for yourself. Sure, it's good if your teacher thinks well of you, but it doesn't really matter if they don't. Do the best that you can do and don't worry about what other people will think. As long as you're happy with the results, that's all that really matters.

This was really helpful. Thankyou :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by HappyFrenchy-x
Hey,

Thanks for the advice - had the exam this morning and it went really well, a lot better than I though actually :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending