What's student life actually like at Hull? What are your experiences? Watch

weusedtowait
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If you go there, could you tell me what it's actually like to be a student there? My questions are...

* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)
* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?
* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?
* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)

Sorry for all the questions, I just want an idea of what student life is actually like there, rather than all this prospectus-type information.
Jellybean91
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okkkk here goes nothing

- the atmosphere, anyone who goes here will tell you, is really friendly! I don't think i've ever been anywhere with such a nice relaxed atmosphere.

- The SU is fab! The student nightclub is fab! they're constantly organising events from freshers week to the end of year ball. They've put on some big names, and of course they have the weekly club nights: tower (weds) and brassick (sat). Tower has a different theme each week and brassick is £1.70 per drink. You can buy tickets as and when or you can buy a platinum card (you'll get a pack with all of this info in) which gives you the freshers wristband, Brassick all year, tower all year, and the end of year ball, oh and theyve just introduced a new 90s night. Weve had 2 so far and they've managed to bring in vengaboys, 3 members of sclub7 and 2 members of Five.
If asylum isn't to your taste though there are plenty of other places you can go: Sugar (they do tshirt events sometimes too, sort of like carnage), Pozition, Welly, Spiders... You'll not be short of a place to go out at night

- Halls - most freshers stay at the lawns which are great, you can be self catered or be semi catered (evening meal only), and the rooms range from shared to single to ensuite. Thwaite is also a popular halls choice but that is fully catered. Needler is about 2 mins away from the lawns, i dont have any experience of it so i can't tell you what its like, but it doesn't look great from the outside... ive heard good things about it though. I'd recommend against not staying in Taylor courts. This is usually for international students, but are all ensuite as far as i know! If you can get into the lawns, go for it! Its a really great and social place, regular buses to town and uni, you cant go wrong with it

- As for local haunts/hangouts - the lawns has its own bar, so if you stay there i'm sure youll find yourself in there a fair amount. But really the most popular places to go tend to be Asylum and when you move out into student houses in 2nd year, you'll hang out a bit more in places like aussie beach, haworth, gardeners arms, cannon junction... theres loads of places on and around bev road / newland ave (the main student areas)

Anyway, I can't recommend student life here enough I hope this answers your questions but if you have anymore just quote me or PM me to make sure ill see it
Just Awful
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Must admit, Hull has an amazing student union and community.
Scarborough on the other hand... all the students are unenthusiastic, hate each other, and the SU is a joke run by the campest man alive who thinks we're on a par with a real university campus.
MoBlo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's so great to hear! Well, about Hull, not about Scarborough
Lango
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
mental, sounds good, i cant wait to go
oh by the way the uni say's for 1st year stundents accomodation is guaranteed does this mean for the lawns? i just want to know my chances of getting into the lawns.
captainox
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lango)
mental, sounds good, i cant wait to go
oh by the way the uni say's for 1st year stundents accomodation is guaranteed does this mean for the lawns? i just want to know my chances of getting into the lawns.
it means all first years are guranteed accomodation. that is in any type of university owned accomodation.

When you come to apply for accomodation you will finda kind of preferences section. For me, I made my 3 choices, all types of room at the lawns and i got a room at the lawns.
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by weusedtowait)
If you go there, could you tell me what it's actually like to be a student there? My questions are...

* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)
* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?
* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?
* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)

Sorry for all the questions, I just want an idea of what student life is actually like there, rather than all this prospectus-type information.
Campus can be loud but it is always always friendly. Very much a community feel.
The union does A LOT of stuff, like different events every week and if you get involved in some societies it just become a different day every day.
Halls are very much different to one another and different every year. Thwaite is considered the one where people just work, the Lawns where they just play, and Needler where its a combination of the two, but that was just my experience.
The local haunts are asylum which is the student nightclub at uni, also spiders, sugar mill, piper and a host of others along with pubs and bars galore.
MoBlo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can't wait for the year to begin!
I moved here about 5 weeks ago and it 's kind of lonely at the moment. Luckily a fellow student from The Netherlands will join me here in September.

Anyone here familiar with the Swimming Club? I am kind of interested, but since the Union Site doesn't really show much to people who cannot log in as a student, there's not much to find out about them (or any other club for that matter).
RachieClare_x
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MoBlo)

Anyone here familiar with the Swimming Club? I am kind of interested, but since the Union Site doesn't really show much to people who cannot log in as a student, there's not much to find out about them (or any other club for that matter).
One of my friends was in the swimming team (she just graduated) and it was a big part of her social life. They drink a lot like any other AU team!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Hull
    Sat, 5 Oct '19
  • University of Hull
    Sat, 2 Nov '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads