Budget Gaming PC? Watch

MattA147
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys can anyone reccomend a PC for a maximum £500 which would be able to do limited gaming such as WoW and a few RTS's which isn't overclocked? Thanks alot in advance

Any thoughts comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
ilovedubstep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
WoW requires low spec. You could get a laptop for 500 which would run WoW and some RTS. Which RTS are you interested in specifically.
MattA147
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Probably Napoleon Total War and maybe Dawn Of War 2 but would you be able to tell me a computer so I can research it, I would like the computer to be able to run the games smoothly and hassle free with some day to day computer use as well as gaming thanks
ilovedubstep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MattA147)
Probably Napoleon Total War and maybe Dawn Of War 2 but would you be able to tell me a computer so I can research it, I would like the computer to be able to run the games smoothly and hassle free with some day to day computer use as well as gaming thanks
Yeah, I'm in the same position as you. I might buy a pc for shogun total war 2 and empire total war. And the same budget. I haven't looked around yet. My friends bought laptops for around that much and they could play medieval total war 2 but not empire total war.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

build your own, check siggy or youtube for a how to
McZero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't buy pre built desktop gaming computers computers unless you want to get ripped off.

Do a little research, pick your components carefully and you'll be fine.

Also if you're too chicken to built it yourself you can always call your local tech guy to do it for you, either way you'll get better performance for your cash.
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Go here. Seriously.
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
actually a better choice would be here http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ilovedubstep)
WoW requires low spec.
Why do people always say this? It's not true at all. To play WOW on maximum settings in a raid environment you actually need a pretty good PC. Indeed you'll probably need an AMD Phenom X4 or i5 processor at least to play at these settings.

(Original post by iainvg)
actually a better choice would be here http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30
or here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum-13-322.html

But alas, we shouldn't be advertising other forums on here :p:

Dumachi's suggestion is good. I hope you don't need a monitor too though or you're going to be really limited.

Oh & believe me there is a HUGE difference between playing WOW on medium settings and ultra.
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys can anyone reccomend a PC for a maximum £500 which would be able to do limited gaming such as WoW and a few RTS's which isn't overclocked? Thanks alot in advance

Any thoughts comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Do you need a screen and Operating system?

(Original post by Ewan)
Why do people always say this? It's not true at all. To play WOW on maximum settings in a raid environment you actually need a pretty good PC. Indeed you'll probably need an AMD Phenom X4 or i5 processor at least to play at these settings.
Not for new gpu's. WoW has been easy to run for a while, and the only reason you would get slow down is due to connection issues (internet and waiting for server side lag ) and it being an old engine.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
Not for new gpu's. WoW has been easy to run for a while, and the only reason you would get slow down is due to connection issues (internet and waiting for server side lag ) and it being an old engine.
I didn't mention anything about GPUs, I don't actually know if you need a good one but I would guess probably not. Your processor however has to be very good (well mid range).
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well, i can run that sort of thing pretty well, and I got my PC from Dell refurbished for £500.

I'd say, if you want to buy prebuilt then don't look for a specific gaming PC, just looked for a decent refurbished one and then upgrade the parts that need upgrading. The tag 'Gaming PC' gives companies free license to over charge really
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
I didn't mention anything about GPUs, I don't actually know if you need a good one but I would guess probably not. Your processor however has to be very good (well mid range).
Again, I find this doubtful seeing that it does not have much to work out as most of it is server side eg. AI, what other people are doing etc.
Your computer does not have to do any physics or nut busting state-of-the-art AI.
Also, seeing that you can get a dual core proc @ 3.1 GHz for under £50 means that unless your computer is a relic, anything can run it.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
Again, I find this doubtful seeing that it does not have much to work out as most of it is server side eg. AI, what other people are doing etc.
Your computer does not have to do any physics or nut busting state-of-the-art AI.
Also, seeing that you can get a dual core proc @ 3.1 GHz for under £50 means that unless your computer is a relic, anything can run it.
Well, despite what you may find, this isn't what I've found. If you try and play on old generation core 2 duo processors (even good ones) for instance it's hellish slow. But yes, with the Phenom he should be fine.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Well, despite what you may find, this isn't what I've found. If you try and play on old generation core 2 duo processors (even good ones) for instance it's hellish slow. But yes, with the Phenom he should be fine.
I'm not sure which WoW you're playing; But I'm going to agree with Jimbo. WoW will run well on high settings (Unless you've got a really big monitor with some high frequency refresh rate) on pretty much any computer from the past 2 years. As long as it has some kind of GPU.

It would even run low/medium fine on my old ATI x300se card/pentium 4 combo (it came with my first Dell; back when I was a n00b). And that was a PoS even for its time.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys can anyone reccomend a PC for a maximum £500)
I hope that's just for the box. If you need a monitor, OS and peripherals too... I'd say you were S.O.L.

The first card I've got that runs empire/napoleon nicely is the HD5850 and that was 190 quid by itself when I got it.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Completely off-topic, I'd buy this...

v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That £500 will buy you the parts to make a monster these days... Learn about overclocking if you feel like really juicing your money.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
That £500 will buy you the parts to make a monster these days... Learn about overclocking if you feel like really juicing your money.
We both have very different definitions of monster...
maybe if you had $800 (~£500) and lived in America, you might be able to buy some sort of mid-upper level predator... But if you want a MONSTER you're going to want to put aside at LEAST 800 pounds. That's excluding OS and any peripherals (the monitor, keyboard etc).

I spent 100 quid on just the gaming keyboard.
And that was before the VAT increase.
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by O'Donovan)
We both have very different definitions of monster...
maybe if you had $800 (~£500) and lived in America, you might be able to buy some sort of mid-upper level predator... But if you want a MONSTER you're going to want to put aside at LEAST 800 pounds. That's excluding OS and any peripherals (the monitor, keyboard etc).

I spent 100 quid on just the gaming keyboard.
And that was before the VAT increase.
Then you wasted your money...

A monster relative to what the vast majority of people have. A PC capable of playing anything thrown at it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.2%
No - but I will (41)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.48%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (280)
46.51%

Watched Threads