Funding for graduates studying 5 or 6 year medicine. Watch

Apply82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello!

I have a deferred place to study medicine starting in 2012 and wish to enquire about student finance arrangements to assist with living costs and tuition fee costs.

I am aware that student funding is being revised and updated at present. I am finding it difficult to gain much specific information about support arrangements for graduates studying medicine as a second degree. I am especially interested in finding out about tuition fee support given the 9K fee rate from 2012.

Does anyone know what the situation will be like for graduates doing 5 or 6 year courses?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No-one knows yet what the situation will be - if you follow Student BMJ and Student BMA on Twitter you will hear pretty much as soon as anyone does.

Currently you would get no tuition fee help until the NHS bursary kicked in in year 5 of a 5 yr course (or year 6 of a 6 year course) but you would get the maintenance loan in years 1-4 of a 5 year course (or 1-5 of 6 year course). In the absence of rich parents, look at career development loans to help pay the fees.
Apply82
Rep:
?
Thank you, I will follow those links!
sd91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
look at the last post on the TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...21440&page=261

Basically if you are doing the standard A100, you will have to pay £36,000 just in tuition. Can you not get your entry changed to this september?
Apply82
Rep:
?
I am unable to commence this year due to family committments (parent quite poorly). I had initially applied to start this year, but had to change my start date to 2012. When I tried to find information about fees for next year, information seemed limited, thus I started this thread!! I have a feeling that I will be liable for full tuition fee payment without a loan, as I'm already a graduate, however I am still hoping I may be able to avail of a tuition fee loan. I will need to wait and see I guess. Hopefully ongoing consultation might inform my ability to avail of future loans.
sd91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Apply82)
I am unable to commence this year due to family committments (parent quite poorly). I had initially applied to start this year, but had to change my start date to 2012. When I tried to find information about fees for next year, information seemed limited, thus I started this thread!! I have a feeling that I will be liable for full tuition fee payment without a loan, as I'm already a graduate, however I am still hoping I may be able to avail of a tuition fee loan. I will need to wait and see I guess. Hopefully ongoing consultation might inform my ability to avail of future loans.
Graduates are not entitled to tuition fee loans at all for their second degrees whether this is A100 or the fast track course. The difference at the moment is that with the fast track the NHS bursary covers the fees for the final 3 years but there is talk of this being removed. Contact the school you have an offer from as this is your best bet. My bf now wants to do medicine and is in the 2nd year of his degree atm and was told by southampton, peninsula, bsms and nottingham that if he were apply to a100 he would be charged the full £36k and they recommended he look into the fast track. The further problem is that professional studies loans are being withdrawn from highstreet banks.

The only real way out of this is to work for the next year and use savings, uni bursaries or grants if you can get them but because of the funding issue, so many grads are being priced out of med now is this is what the whole furore surrounding funding for graduates is to do with.
domht
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi

I rang the student loans company with regards to studying medicine as a second degree, and they told me that they do not loan money for a second degree, UNLESS it is medicine or nursing. Hope this helps :-P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (62)
37.58%
No - but I will (6)
3.64%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads