Social Work Undergrad' Experience Watch

username571046
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'd like to go on to do social work at university but obviously work experince is necessary. I'm 17, so getting experience in some places is difficult.
I currently have work experience of helping out in a local bible club with children between 3-11, teaching assistant in a primary school, and volunteer work for KMS and Barnardos.
Do you think this is enough? And what sort of exerience did you get?
jellybeanjen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by icnthelpit)
I'd like to go on to do social work at university but obviously work experince is necessary. I'm 17, so getting experience in some places is difficult.
I currently have work experience of helping out in a local bible club with children between 3-11, teaching assistant in a primary school, and volunteer work for KMS and Barnardos.
Do you think this is enough? And what sort of exerience did you get?
Hi icnthelpit (I read your username as "I cn the L pit" rather than "I cnt help it" at first and thought "what's an L pit?" lol, revision is frying my brain!),

I'm intrigued as to how you were a TA at a school as I'd have thought that wouldn't have been too compatible with being in full-time education...do you mean you did a couple of weeks' work experience in a school, as that isn't the same as being a TA, so make it clear in your application next year. Anyways enough of me being picky!

Your experience sounds good to me Depending on what university you apply to, there is normally a set amount of hours/months of experience they expect you to have (e.g. Brunel want 6 months' relevant experience for their BA, 1 year for the MA). You've also got time on your side for trying out some other volunteer work if you want, such as working with older people or disabled people (I have no idea what KMS is so you might already fulfil this). The more direct experience you have with working with people the better. Also you need to start thinking about how this experience fits in with social work values and ethics as that's the way you'll sell yourself at interview. It's all well and good saying I've done this and that, but you need to relate it back to social work. Look here at the social work national occupational standards and here for the General Social Care Council codes of practice and have a think about how you'd work within these if you were on a course and how what you've done already demonstrates the skills necessary for this. Also, have a look at the Community Care website to get some ideas of current issues in social work.

I was 24 when I applied to the MA so my experience is very different to yours. I worked for two years as an administrator in a social services team, and picked up extra responsibilities similar to a social work assistant during that time. It gave me a good knowledge of how social services works, the systems used and the The team were very supportive of me when I decided I wanted to take the plunge and qualify so loaned me books and gave me a lot of useful advice. I also volunteer with Brownies one evening a week to get my direct work with children up, which has helped a lot with my knowledge of how to communicate with children in assessments and also child development. People have all kinds of different experience on my course - volunteering with charities, being a nurse or teacher, working as a carer for the elderly, childminding, working in social services - so there are many fields that are considered relevant to a social work course.

Good luck with getting experience and with your UCAS form when you complete it. If you think I can help with anything just shout.
username571046
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thankyou very much, that was really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise