Am I overreacting? minor health issues Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey, basically i've got two vaguely trivial health issues at the moment. My mum wants me to go and see a doctor but i'm not sure if its anything which can be dealt with....I'm not someone who ever really goes to the doctor or takes medicine so this isn't really usual.
Firstly, for years if I have gotten up too quickly after sleeping or sitting down, I will get dizzy and my vision will blur out. The worst times I go completely blind, fall over and bruise myself and almost faint. I'm guessing cos my feet turn purple just from sitting in one place and i have bad circulation in my extremities that this is related to low blood pressure but is there any point talking to anyone about it?

Secondly, I have over-flexible joints in my wrists, hands, elbows, knees, ankles and shoulders. Generally I don't get any pain from them so it is not a problem, but after exercising I do get pain in my knee joints, and they crack a lot. I have got a really strenuous rowing schedule starting atm and as I know knees are more likely to wear, I don't want to do any permanent damage to them! Should I be wearing some kind of support on them or is this fairly normal?

Sorry for the really long post. I feel stupid going to a doctor about either issue but they have been niggling me for quite a while know so I thought I'd ask for some advice.
Thanks!
EvieMo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Neither of those things sound normal or healthy. I think you need to see a doctor. Either book a double appointment or two separate appointments as there's a lot to discuss. The fainting sounds more urgent. Someone at the rowing club might be able to give you some advice on knee supports, but you do really need to see the doctor about that too.
theonelink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, basically i've got two vaguely trivial health issues at the moment. My mum wants me to go and see a doctor but i'm not sure if its anything which can be dealt with....I'm not someone who ever really goes to the doctor or takes medicine so this isn't really usual.
Firstly, for years if I have gotten up too quickly after sleeping or sitting down, I will get dizzy and my vision will blur out. The worst times I go completely blind, fall over and bruise myself and almost faint. I'm guessing cos my feet turn purple just from sitting in one place and i have bad circulation in my extremities that this is related to low blood pressure but is there any point talking to anyone about it?

Secondly, I have over-flexible joints in my wrists, hands, elbows, knees, ankles and shoulders. Generally I don't get any pain from them so it is not a problem, but after exercising I do get pain in my knee joints, and they crack a lot. I have got a really strenuous rowing schedule starting atm and as I know knees are more likely to wear, I don't want to do any permanent damage to them! Should I be wearing some kind of support on them or is this fairly normal?

Sorry for the really long post. I feel stupid going to a doctor about either issue but they have been niggling me for quite a while know so I thought I'd ask for some advice.
Thanks!
See a doctor lol.
LordBerkut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first thing has been happening to me for years, but I'm drunk and cool so ami insulated from any bad effects, I' m pretty much invincible in fact.#
Sabriella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first problem could be low blood pressure, but it could also be anaemia. Either way, see a doctor. The second issue could cause complications with the first and a tough rowing schedule will also worsen the first problem.

Doctor. Go. See.
Lindchen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you doing too much sport? Maybe your body can`t cope with it...it needs its regenerative times.
RainbowDoll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks!
You could be anemic, see a doctor and they will take your blood. If you are anemic they will give you some iron tablets.
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like you have postural hypotension & possibly Raynauds phenomenon as well. hypermobile joints which click a lot are also just one of those things that some people have. They don't usually cause any problems.

For all your problems, I think the best advice is to learn how to avoid problems which cause you distress - eg avoid getting up too quickly if this makes you feel faint, avoid exercise which causes frank joint pain (or improve your technique).

By all means have a chat with your doctor, it can't do any harm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.59%
No - but I will (74)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (451)
47.62%

Watched Threads