Do you think it's possible to pull an all-nighter when it comes to revision Watch

oranges&lemons
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
say you have a lot to learn in a short space of time.
NO2AV
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
pulled more allnighters than anyone on this site, braggin about being nerdy, sayn?
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
I think it can go well, if you half know the stuff anyway.
Also, it usually only works effectively if the exam is early the next morning. say 9.00.
if it's an afternoon one, your engery is usually zomped! if that's a word.
in my experience i was buzzing on adrenaline for the 9.00 exam.
but for the afternoon one i was half sleeping and couldn't concentrate after next to no sleep.
bhonfranco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
a friend of mine did it...we had AS biology exam the next day, at 5am he calls me asking to revise with him. I went and he looked stressed and nervous, he had 4 bottles of coffee and kept drinking it.
Anyway he got a C, while i failed miserably....
alexs2602
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And do the exam the next day?
rbnphlp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oranges&lemons)
say you have a lot to learn in a short space of time.
nope , In Gcse's yes ,A levels maybe /yes , but at uni usuallly a no ..The amount of info you study/understand ,is going to be very limited when you're tierd. Also the chances , are you will quickly forget them like after 1 or 2hrs .So if you're at uni ,dont do it ,

I have assumed you havent covered the material before , if you have then its not that bad.
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I never revise
LadyLondoner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I always pull all nighters, it's the best time to revise for me!

Lol at neg, zero reason for it.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not for me. I think the benefits of being well-rested from a good night's sleep far outweigh any last minute cramming when your brain is exhausted. So I always go to bed early before an exam. That is of course presuming you have actually revised before the exam.

If you've done none then yeah, something is better than nothing, but I guess if you've left it that late then you don't care what grade you get.

If you just mean during your study period (i.e. not before your exam) then I personally don't see the point, and reckon you'll probably forget everything, but you could always try it I guess.
rbnphlp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
I never revise
no ,way you must be super smart
oranges&lemons
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
I never revise
lol - i don't believe you
prescilla
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have done this many times. It depends on, some can do it, some can't. I can stay up whole night quite easily and I can learn stuff quite quickly especially if I'm being nervous about the 'deadline'. That's why it has always worked. But I know that there are people who need several days of revision and still they get fairly poor grades.
phoenix90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahh my mate pulled a near all-nighter - showed real dedication there but unfortunately he overslept and missed the exam the following morning
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's possible, but it's less productive than actually getting in a few hours sleep and waking up that bit earlier instead.
Charlottelisabeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No and I wouldn't advise it either, you're body would probably stop being able to function properly and the chances of you ending up dropping asleep against your own will are high. It's not healthy, nobody wants to deal with the symptoms sleep deprivation, it really sucks.

At least if you do want to cram all your revision into the last possible night before your exam by doing an all-nighter session then have like at least a 2-3hr nap (set an alarm to wake you up). But don't drink caffine to keep you awake all night, you'll probably end up falling asleep in your exam otherwise or you won't be able to concentrate or work to your fullest capacity resulting in a lower grade, it'll be as if you went in a full circle.

Shouldn't have left the revision too late. That's the lesson.
Iorek
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rbnphlp)
no ,way you must be super smart
Nope, I just have no time

(Original post by oranges&lemons)
lol - i don't believe you
Why not? If you understand the concepts then there is nothing to revise.
Anonymous #2
Report 7 years ago
I hope so
snapple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i did and it got me an A in a chem module , that being said when i did go to sleep after staying up for about 40 hours i think i slept for about 18 hours straight. thank god i was my last exam cause i remembr feeling pretty terrible afterwards
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I regularly do. I don't advise it unless 2 or 3 days before you reverse your sleeping pattern so that you wake up at 10 at night or even past midnight then sleep all day from about midday. This means before your exam you will wake up at 10 or so the night before, be up all night in peace and quiet to concentrate on revision but still feel fresh when it comes to your exam.
Arianto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
I never revise
**** yeah. :headbang:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed