Going to university in Scotland? (Edinburgh) Watch

Arcanen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay, so I live in England. One of the university courses I'm considering is at Edinburgh... It's a four year course and it is an MA, this means masters, right? So will I essentially be doing a BA and then the final year spent doing a masters in it?

Also, how do the tuition fees work if you are from England and go to uni in Scotland?

Thanks!
ShadowConspiracy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Living in jockland eh? I'm doing it good luck? The amount of fights/arguments I've had as they dislike a South London accent.
alexmsf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, an MA from Edinburgh is still an undergraduate degree, the name is only because of a tradition in awarding MA degrees, or something along those lines. Do not forget that undergraduate degrees in Scotland are 4 year courses, but they are still undergraduate degrees.

Check the sticky in the University of Edinburgh forum, it explains it a lot better!
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arcanen)
One of the university courses I'm considering is at Edinburgh... It's a four year course and it is an MA, this means masters, right? So will I essentially be doing a BA and then the final year spent doing a masters in it?
No. All undergraduate degrees at the ancient Scottish universities are (by name) MAs. It's still an undergraduate degree (i.e. if you were in England it'd be a BA), the fact that it's called an MA is just tradition, and the fact that degrees here are 4 years is because in Scotland we can go to university a year earlier than in England.
Arcanen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay, thanks guys!
fhennah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
undergraduate degrees are 4 years in scotland due to the 'honours' section of the degree. in england and wales we combine what is essentially the third and fourth year in scotland into one year hence doing a dissertation in the third year. they do not do this until the fourth year in scotland.

i went there and did a second degree last year - undergraduate and the fees were only £1800 so a lot cheaper than wales and england and its quite cheap to live there also
Emmie3303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
English students pay around £1800 per year in tuition fees. You still apply to the English Student Finance people and they pay it in exactly the same way they would have done if you were studying in England .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.71%
No - but I will (55)
7.08%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.01%

Watched Threads