Which textbook would you nominate for the record number of typos!! Watch

Destroyviruses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I think this forum would be useful for people whose confidence is being bashed by careless proofreaders!

I'd nominate

A2 AQA Chemistry Nelson Thornes(although the typos it has are obvious so not too many problems caused)

M2 AQA Brian Jefferson.

These are all I can remember.

Also do you thing the standards of textbook has gone down in recent times? Were typos common in old textbooks too?
Seasick Steve
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My chemistry teacher keeps going on about that book and the mistakes in it. You'd have thought it would have been proof-read at least once!
Lukedavidhopkins1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Destroyviruses)
I think this forum would be useful for people whose confidence is being bashed by careless proofreaders!

I'd nominate

A2 AQA Chemistry Nelson Thornes(although the typos it has are obvious so not too many problems caused)

M2 AQA Brian Jefferson.

These are all I can remember.

Also do you thing the standards of textbook has gone down in recent times? Were typos common in old textbooks too?
I'd have to agree with the M2 book, and maybe not for typos but for record mistakes in the answers the C1 and C2 book by AQA. In C1 they miss out a whole chapter of inequalities
Destroyviruses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seasick Steve)
My chemistry teacher keeps going on about that book and the mistakes in it. You'd have thought it would have been proof-read at least once!
I know! I self teach so it'd be horrible for me if I wasn't as confident! They really should be more aware of the impact it could have on students!
String.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
CCEA Chemistry GCSE.. :/
spocckka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I only ever saw one typo in the A2 Chem book. Lol I'm learning stuff that's wrong then am I?
Destroyviruses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lukedavidhopkins1)
I'd have to agree with the M2 book, and maybe not for typos but for record mistakes in the answers the C1 and C2 book by AQA. In C1 they miss out a whole chapter of inequalities
Oh thats what I mean by typos! The dumb answers, I was being polite :P! I'm glad I used the OCR pure core one to cover the AQA spec! It had NO mistakes AT ALL!!!
Destroyviruses
Rep:
?
(Original post by spocckka)
I only eve saw one typo in the A2 Chem book. Lol I'm learning stuff that's wrong then am I?
Yes unfortunately! But assuming you have a teacher and can answer the exam questions you'll be fine!
Lukedavidhopkins1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Destroyviruses)
Oh thats what I mean by typos! The dumb answers, I was being polite :P! I'm glad I used the OCR pure core one to cover the AQA spec! It had NO mistakes AT ALL!!!
Yeah I self teach too so I know what its like going through a question 10 times feeling certain youre right. Really puts you off for when youre wrong too :l
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My friend actually did some of the proof reading for revision guides when he worked part time in a printing company over the summer. He said they could be pretty bad at times the number of errors that were in them and sometimes he could do several and then look back over a bit he thought he'd sorted and find he'd still missed some.

He always jokingly referred to it as being able to warp young people's minds by putting random incorrect stuff in.

He never did though (obviously), and knowing how good he is at English I doubt he messed up his proof reading for errors.
moody_bum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is more that the answers in the back weren't actually correct.

Destroyviruses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lukedavidhopkins1)
Yeah I self teach too so I know what its like going through a question 10 times feeling certain youre right. Really puts you off for when youre wrong too :l
It does!! You self teach too!! Hi!!! Im doing M2 C3 C4 this june in maths and Bio5!
rsqwerty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This book has many mistakes probably 1 mistake for every 1 or 2.
A2 chemistry nigel saunders, oxford, oxbox.
But the errors are easy to tell if you know whats going on and probably one of the best chemistry books ive ever used.
It seems to be a chem thing with the errors
Destroyviruses
Rep:
?
(Original post by rsqwerty)
This book has many mistakes probably 1 mistake for every 1 or 2.
A2 chemistry nigel saunders, oxford, oxbox.
But the errors are easy to tell if you know whats going on and probably one of the best chemistry books ive ever used.
It seems to be a chem thing with the errors
yay, no pressure on me then! Im always making errors!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.75%
No - but I will (87)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.72%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (541)
47.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise