Gym prices? Watch

The Stig's student cousin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking of joining the local gym but from what I can gather looking at the website it will be quite expensive. It seems you pay a membership fee of £22 which gets you reduced entry every time you go, for me (not being a student anymore) it will cost £7 each time I go on the face of it this seems alright but I planned on going every day of the week (maybe 6 times at least) to do this I would be paying £49 a week almost ~£200 a month. Is this normal? I thought It'd be something like £30-£50 a month and unlimited entry.

I'll call or pop in if I have time tomorrow but I just wanted to see if this sounds normal beforehand, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to gyms.

Thanks.
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
£30 per month currently but its a subsidised (sp?) rate with Virgin Active due to my workplace.

£200 a month is a ripoff though. Have a look around, or even consider buying gym gear for home if your going to go so much?
areonite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Stig's student cousin)
I'm thinking of joining the local gym but from what I can gather looking at the website it will be quite expensive. It seems you pay a membership fee of £22 which gets you reduced entry every time you go, for me (not being a student anymore) it will cost £7 each time I go on the face of it this seems alright but I planned on going every day of the week (maybe 6 times at least) to do this I would be paying £49 a week almost ~£200 a month. Is this normal? I thought It'd be something like £30-£50 a month and unlimited entry.

I'll call or pop in if I have time tomorrow but I just wanted to see if this sounds normal beforehand, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to gyms.

Thanks.
£200 a month is WAY over the top, even if it was a posh health club like Bannatynes, Roko etc. you'd expect to be paying about £70 max.

My local council gym costs me £37 a month and that gives me unlimited entry to the gym and swimming pool at any time of day. It normally costs £32 if you sign a contract for 6 months, but I only wanted a 3 month contract so it costs a bit more for me. I wouldn't pay more than £45/ month for a standard gym/ pool.
CJ
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Stig's student cousin)

Thanks.
That sounds insane, have you got a link?

I thought over £50 was steep, let alone £200. Madness.
lazy smurf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use your local council ran gym, be much cheaper.
The Stig's student cousin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Turns out that was a membership scheme for occasional users. It'll cost me £40pm.

Thanks for your response.
dosvidaniya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
£200 a month is ridiculous, my old gym went up to £80 a month when I turned 18 and I thought that was overpriced, though it was one of the best gyms I've seen. The gym I go to now is £15 a month and is decent, I'd say anything up to £40 is reasonable.
teriaki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
University and council run gyms are generally cheaper than commercial ones (in Manchester the 3 uni ones are all about 170-190£ for 9 months which works out to around 20£ per month). Secondly university run gyms seem to come with better weight rooms since they cater more to the athletes while as commercial gyms are filled with vibration plates and other such expensive but relatively useless junk.

I'd only pay over 40£ a month for a gym if it had like 10 high end power racks each with their own lifting platforms and complete with Eleiko bars/plates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed