Selective Breeding? Watch

String.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If it were deemed ethical (which it never will be), and selective breeding of humans took place on a regular basis. How far could our civilization advance in say a generation? Or would this have any effect on civilization as a whole at all? Would we create a race of so called 'superhumans'?
Tommo3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seeing as we're ignoring the ethical aspects, I'd imagine the next generation would be much more intelligent, we'd advance quicker. However, how far would civilization advance would really depend on what kind of advancement you're talking about. I suppose it would really depend on what kind of "selective breeding" and what kind of environment they're bought up in.

In the end if you continually select the best genes, then you'd end up with the "best" people so you could say you've created a race of super humans.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You select who you make babies with already. Some people might take into account health, intelligence, looks etc.

Genetics isn't straightforward though.
efn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's obvious every woman want babies with johnny depp, and fair play the dude looks beautiful
Young Spade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol it isn't that simple, I think you've watched too many movies. Yes you can pick people with the best genetic traits (intelligence, strength, wit, good looks) and pair the men and women but we all know genetics doesn't always flow straight down the tree. I think that if we practiced this on a very large scale we could continue to create humans that are superior in many ways to others, but it's pretty much already like this.

Of course we don't call it selective breeding because that would be wrong, nor (on a widespread basis) do we choose who we and others will mate with, however this is done by everyone to produce the most fit and able offspring. Rich good-looking marry rich good-looking. Intelligent people marry intelligent people. It isn't like we are all just hormone crazed baboons running around proliferating as we see fit. You just have to actually look at whats there and you'll start to realize what's going on.
sicarius1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're selective breeding for intelligence it would be very difficult. There are predispositions for intelligence but it's mainly down to how people grow up that determines what they're like.
Don Serious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
id probably just end up mating with every hot woman on the planet, whilst "efn" would have his genetics end with him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.51%
No - but I will (25)
5.52%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (217)
47.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise