Unusual query- been to uni already- will I be eligible for support? Please read! Watch

Magnolia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I started university in 2006-2007 and studied a course I hated, but tried to stick it out in the hope that I'd eventually get down to some serious work. The university was awful and the course incredibly boring so it was difficult to remain motivated. At the end of the academic year I had temporarily dropped out. I was depressed and suffering from insomnia. I returned for Year 2 in 2008-2009 but didn't complete enough work for me to take the exams and I was barred from taking them. In 2009-2010 I returned once again, but by the end of the year I had finally decided the course and university was definitely not for me. I left completely, having been in and out of university for 3 years.

I have usued up 3 out of 4 years of student finance funding. In 2010 I got a job and took a college course with the aim of going back to university in 2011-2012 to study a course I'm truly passionate about. I am now a mature student. Will I be eligible for student finance again? If not, how will I find myself? Please help me, the university year is coming scarily close... I've gotton my $hit together and I'm committed to completing my course. I just don't know how I'll fund my tuition and living costs.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will be entitled to 1 year. The last year. Up till then you will have to self fund.
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As above with regard to tuition fees - you may qualify for a maintenance loan each year - check with student finance to be sure before you go to register.
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did 3 years at uni 2003-06, totally hated the course by the third year and left with an 'ordinary' degree. I'm hoping to start again this year, and I've been told I can have a maintence loan for the first 2 years of about £3850 (living at home) which will pay the fees and leave very little left over, but I'm expecting full support for year 3.
Magnolia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dam)
I did 3 years at uni 2003-06, totally hated the course by the third year and left with an 'ordinary' degree. I'm hoping to start again this year, and I've been told I can have a maintence loan for the first 2 years of about £3850 (living at home) which will pay the fees and leave very little left over, but I'm expecting full support for year 3.
So did you complete your full degree or drop put in Year 3? How will you get full support in Year 3?

Do you know if tuition fees will have to be paid in full at the start of the year?
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Magnolia)

Do you know if tuition fees will have to be paid in full at the start of the year?
This will depend on the university, they are all different. It's likely you will have to pay at least half at the start of the year, if not the whole amount.
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Magnolia)
So did you complete your full degree or drop put in Year 3? How will you get full support in Year 3?

I didn't drop out, I was registered until the end and sat my final exam, but I didn't hand in a dissertation, and in total I failed 60 credits, convieniently leaving me 300 credits passed which is just enough for an ordinary degree. I should really have failed 75 credits but they fudged it so it wouldn't make their drop out rate look bad.

If I do another degree this year I will have to pay £3375 fees per year split in 2 installments at the start of each semester. This may vary at other Universities though. My LEA told me that the support they offer is the length of your course + 1 year, minus any previous study giving me one years full support which will be the final year.
Magnolia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dam)
I didn't drop out, I was registered until the end and sat my final exam, but I didn't hand in a dissertation, and in total I failed 60 credits, convieniently leaving me 300 credits passed which is just enough for an ordinary degree. I should really have failed 75 credits but they fudged it so it wouldn't make their drop out rate look bad.

If I do another degree this year I will have to pay £3375 fees per year split in 2 installments at the start of each semester. This may vary at other Universities though. My LEA told me that the support they offer is the length of your course + 1 year, minus any previous study giving me one years full support which will be the final year.
I enquired at the university and they mentioned I would have to pay a third of it each term (ie £1,125 of £3,3375 each of the three university terms). I called up Student Finance and they mentioned I would only be eligible for one year of the Tuition Fee Loan but not for the first year of my new degree. This is presumbly to show my committment to completing the course by self-funding first.

Why are you only eligible for maintenence loan for 2 years? They told me I could get one for the 3 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.25%
No - but I will (74)
7.49%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.28%

Watched Threads