Need some advice on this workout Watch

getin2shape
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm currently trying to lose weight and tone up. I'm very overweight atm (need to lose like 70 pounds.) However something that's really important to me is not losing the weight too quickly so I have folds of skin. First question is what is the best way to ensure I don't have these folds of loose skin when I lose weight ?

I also need peoples opinions on this workout.

10 minutes treadmill (HIIT)
Plank
bicep curl
Crunches
Bench press

Repeat x 3

I was wondering if I should do it this way of do my cardio at some other time of day. I've read conflicting stories on which one is better.

I could probably do something like:

am: HIIT, plan and crunches

pm: warm up on treadmill for 10 mins x 1

then do a "fuller" arm work out.

I'm assuming there are a lot of errors in my thinking/ideas but go easy because I am only just starting out. Lost about 6 inches from my waist (Need to lose 8 more) and 4 from my chest (want to lose 2 more). Also lost inches from my thighs and my arms stayed about the same but I can tell it's less fatty.

However I haven't been serious enough about my workout so far. I am on a gap year and I want to use this year to the fullest extent possible to get the best looking I can (without cutting any corners) before I start uni.

Any help really appreciated guys thanks a lot.
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
How's the diet? What equipment do you have access to? Can you exercise outdoors, in a pool etc?

1. HIIT on a treadmill? Accident waiting to happen. Stationary bike if you have to do HIIT in the gym, perhaps erg - otherwise pool, outdoors, or LISS instead. LISS/steady state may actually be a better idea in the first place considering your starting position.
  2. 2 workouts daily, 7 days a week isn't exactly time or energy efficient. Separate cardio from weight training and do each justice. Factor in rest days - the number of which will depend on your type, intensity, and amount of exercise.
  3. A routine consisting of planks, curls, crunches and benching does not make for a good routine. Think of the vast tracts of muscle you're neglecting in your legs, back etc that are among the most important to stimulate. From the bench press, it sounds as though you have access to a barbell. Heavy compounds are your friend: squat, deadlift, press, row, bench... any messing about with curls and crunches (frankly unnecessary at this point in time) should be accessory to these. A ""fuller" arm work out", as a concept, is dreadful!
  4. Get serious, maintain your resolve, and enjoy it! You will derive huge satisfaction and further motivation as you improve your looks and fitness.
getin2shape
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rainy)
How's the diet? What equipment do you have access to? Can you exercise outdoors, in a pool etc?

1. HIIT on a treadmill? Accident waiting to happen. Stationary bike if you have to do HIIT in the gym, perhaps erg - otherwise pool, outdoors, or LISS instead. LISS/steady state may actually be a better idea in the first place considering your starting position.
  2. 2 workouts daily, 7 days a week isn't exactly time or energy efficient. Separate cardio from weight training and do each justice. Factor in rest days - the number of which will depend on your type, intensity, and amount of exercise.
  3. A routine consisting of planks, curls, crunches and benching does not make for a good routine. Think of the vast tracts of muscle you're neglecting in your legs, back etc that are among the most important to stimulate. From the bench press, it sounds as though you have access to a barbell. Heavy compounds are your friend: squat, deadlift, press, row, bench... any messing about with curls and crunches (frankly unnecessary at this point in time) should be accessory to these. A ""fuller" arm work out", as a concept, is dreadful!
  4. Get serious, maintain your resolve, and enjoy it! You will derive huge satisfaction and further motivation as you improve your looks and fitness.
My diets really good if I do say so myself.

I'm getting 1 pound of protein for every pound of lean muslce mass and I'm eating carbs like brown rice, whole wheat pasta and brown bread (not as much of brown bread).

Protein wise I'm having lots of salmon and cod that I just grill and I'm getting vegetables in. Also chicken breast and turkey breast. Having a protein shake every day.

My equipment is a barbell and some dumbells, a treadmill and a rowing machine.

Sorry if my first post didn't mention it but I am squating and deadlifting.

I have been advised to split my cardio and weigth lifting up and I really do have the time so I'm going with that.

I already feel fitter and I look better. I'm still miles away from my goal but I'm seeing results which is a start.

Thanks a lot for your help.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)

What he said, particularly about HIIT on the treadmill, it takes like 30 seconds for it to get up to the speed you need!
getin2shape
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_t)
What he said, particularly about HIIT on the treadmill, it takes like 30 seconds for it to get up to the speed you need!
Well mine has little buttons, like one for 4 mph then one for 7 and it takes all of 5 secondes to get between the two.

I don't suppose you know anything about plateaus (spelling ?).

If I'm obese then will I still plateau after a while or will it have to be when I get closer to a normal body weight ?

If I'm technically overweight I sholdnt plateau right ?
Monkey_Pete
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by getin2shape)
My diets really good if I do say so myself.

I'm getting 1 pound of protein for every pound of lean muscle mass
I'm getting 1 pound of protein for every pound of lean muscle mass
a_t
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well mine has little buttons, like one for 4 mph then one for 7 and it takes all of 5 secondes to get between the two.

I don't suppose you know anything about plateaus (spelling ?).

If I'm obese then will I still plateau after a while or will it have to be when I get closer to a normal body weight ?

If I'm technically overweight I sholdnt plateau right ?
7 mph is not a sprint mate, its a quick jog

Plateaus in what? Weight Loss? Your lifts going up? Packing on muscle mass?
sh1519
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i like turtles.
getin2shape
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_t)
7 mph is not a sprint mate, its a quick jog

Plateaus in what? Weight Loss? Your lifts going up? Packing on muscle mass?
I can't manage faster than 7mph. I don't think you realise how overweight I am. I can't go faster than. The trainer at my gym said that HIIT was about your heart rate and it was all relative, He told me HIIT was different for everyone because everyone has different intensities relevant to them. Is this wrong ? He actually recommended I start of with 3.5mph and 6mph.

Plateaus in weight loss I was talking about. I just wondered if I will plateau while I'm still overweight or will it only be when I get to a relatively normal weight.
a_t
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't manage faster than 7mph. I don't think you realise how overweight I am. I can't go faster than. The trainer at my gym said that HIIT was about your heart rate and it was all relative, He told me HIIT was different for everyone because everyone has different intensities relevant to them. Is this wrong ? He actually recommended I start of with 3.5mph and 6mph.

Plateaus in weight loss I was talking about. I just wondered if I will plateau while I'm still overweight or will it only be when I get to a relatively normal weight.
Fair enough, erm if you carry on adding muscle through resistance training it should be fine as you'll increase your BMR
Bloodbath
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently trying to lose weight and tone up. I'm very overweight atm (need to lose like 70 pounds.) However something that's really important to me is not losing the weight too quickly so I have folds of skin. First question is what is the best way to ensure I don't have these folds of loose skin when I lose weight ?

I also need peoples opinions on this workout.

10 minutes treadmill (HIIT)
Plank
bicep curl
Crunches
Bench press

Repeat x 3

I was wondering if I should do it this way of do my cardio at some other time of day. I've read conflicting stories on which one is better.

I could probably do something like:

am: HIIT, plan and crunches

pm: warm up on treadmill for 10 mins x 1

then do a "fuller" arm work out.

I'm assuming there are a lot of errors in my thinking/ideas but go easy because I am only just starting out. Lost about 6 inches from my waist (Need to lose 8 more) and 4 from my chest (want to lose 2 more). Also lost inches from my thighs and my arms stayed about the same but I can tell it's less fatty.

However I haven't been serious enough about my workout so far. I am on a gap year and I want to use this year to the fullest extent possible to get the best looking I can (without cutting any corners) before I start uni.

Any help really appreciated guys thanks a lot.
Is this the quasimodo workout brah?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise