The Student Room Group

S1 permutations and combinations help

Hi

I would appreciate help on the following questions:

1. The 6 letters of the word LONDON are each written on a card and the 6 letters are shuffled and lined up, face down. The 1st 2 letters are turned over and they spell LO.

Find the probability that when all of the cards are turned over they spell LONDON

and

2. There are 8 competitors in the final of a 100m race. The first 3 competitors to finish the course will receive an accolade. 2 of the competitors are from the 'Spears Athletic club', and the other 6 represent different clubs.

Find the probability that 'Spears' will at least 1 accolade.

I'm not looking for the answers, just some guidelines on how to approach these questions.

Much appreciated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1

Well, since you don't want the answers exactly I'll use a similar example question with an example solution since I don't really know the theory behind it, I just know 'how to do it' :tongue:

If you have n symbols there are n! possible rearrangements if the symbols were to be shuffled, where n in the amount of symbols.
For example 5 symbols a b c d e would be 5! (5x4x3x2x1 = 120) = 120 combinations. If you wanted to know the probability of one rearrangement of this it would be 1/120.

Apply the same principle to 4 symbols N D O N and that's your answer :smile:

Let's drop all the fancy wording and think of this in a different way. This is just like saying there are 8 balls in a bag numbered 1-8 and 3 are taken out, and the answer is the probability of either (or both) of 2 chosen balls being picked (ball 1 and 2 for example). It's also easier to think of this by 1 being picked at a time, 3 times, instead of all at once. The chance of ball 1 or 2 being picked on the first pick is 2/8. Then the second pick it would be 2/7, and the final pick (if neither have still been picked out), 2/6. The demoninator is decreased by 1 each time because the sample is being reduced by 1 per pick. Just add all the 3 probabilities together and that would be your answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lewk

Well, since you don't want the answers exactly I'll use a similar example question with an example solution since I don't really know the theory behind it, I just know 'how to do it' :tongue:

If you have n symbols there are n! possible rearrangements if the symbols were to be shuffled, where n in the amount of symbols.
For example 5 symbols a b c d e would be 5! (5x4x3x2x1 = 120) = 120 combinations. If you wanted to know the probability of one rearrangement of this it would be 1/120.

Apply the same principle to 4 symbols N D O N and that's your answer :smile:

Let's drop all the fancy wording and think of this in a different way. This is just like saying there are 8 balls in a bag numbered 1-8 and 3 are taken out, and the answer is the probability of either (or both) of 2 chosen balls being picked (ball 1 and 2 for example). It's also easier to think of this by 1 being picked at a time, 3 times, instead of all at once. The chance of ball 1 or 2 being picked on the first pick is 2/8. Then the second pick it would be 2/7, and the final pick (if neither have still been picked out), 2/6. The demoninator is decreased by 1 each time because the sample is being reduced by 1 per pick. Just add all the 3 probabilities together and that would be your answer.

thanks for your help, but i still don't understand :s-smilie:

i guess i will need to know how to do the actual question and how to get the answers :s-smilie: ..sorry for being thick lol
Reply 3
Original post by hatnan
thanks for your help, but i still don't understand :s-smilie:

i guess i will need to know how to do the actual question and how to get the answers :s-smilie: ..sorry for being thick lol

Well my explanation for 2. isn't very good but i'm no good at explaining things so it's the best i can do for that question :/
for 1. though, do you understand factorials, i.e theres 3x2x1=6 possible rearrangements for 3 symbols, 4x3x2x1=24 for 4, and so on and since you're only looking for 1 specific rearrangements of those 4 symbols (NDON) the probability would be 1/(4x3x2x1) (1 in 24)

Quick Reply

Latest