New car suggestion please...... Watch

Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Decided I will take the offer to change jobs, unfortunately 1 of the downsides is I need to give up the company car.... the position I'm taking does not qualify me for a company car but we are expected to drive a decent one.

I am offered the option to keep the LR Disco, it's only 3 months old now, but I think I am being made to pay a bit more than it's really worth.

Will generally use the vehicle to carry 2-3 others (usually full sized) and will often need to carry their briefcase and or laptop bags plus travel bag, a digital whiteboard (48" diagonal but folds in 2) plus an assortment of files and folders, usually enough to fill the entire boot space of a Mini

Weekends 2-3 golf bags is the norm.

Vehicle must look equally at place at an upscale country estate, a posh golf and polo club or at a farmer's market or a Tesco

So far short listed :-

Audi Q7 4.2l V8.
Porsche Cayenne S
Lexus RX 450H

Fuel economy isn't really an issue.... I will get fuel card.
Price, isn't really all that important as it is subsidized purchased.
Maintenance or insurance isn't really an issue.......can claim

The people I would most likely carry would be rich investors from China or financiers from Germany, Switzerland or Luxembourg. Usually will be bringing them to see some business owner from Britain.

Opinions and suggestions please.
christina077
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
can i have your job?
Iorek
Rep:
?
(Original post by christina077)
can i have your job?
New or old?
christina077
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iorek)
new or old? :d
anyyyyyyy!!!
Iorek
Rep:
?
anyyyyyyy!!!

Look me up when you've graduated
salfordfairy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What job do u do wow ha ha
christina077
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
Look me up when you've graduated
haha, what do you do? i want this job!
pyuicd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As fuel, list price, insurance, maintenance don't matter, its pretty hard to give meaninful advice lol. They are all desirable cars and its going to come down to personal taste. Honestly don't know which one i would pick if I was in your shoes. I would maybe add Range Rover to shortlist though.

A few things on each-

Cayenne- best if you are a petrolhead, divisive looks but I like it
Lexus- less likely to break down (not for cost but for your time), also more tame image
Q7- Good all rounder i guess, am i right in thinking you can get it with 7 seats?
Range Rover- I think its beautiful, ultimate luxury, perhaps less reliable. Supporting UK industry too
miike1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
Decided I will take the offer to change jobs, unfortunately 1 of the downsides is I need to give up the company car.... the position I'm taking does not qualify me for a company car but we are expected to drive a decent one.

I am offered the option to keep the LR Disco, it's only 3 months old now, but I think I am being made to pay a bit more than it's really worth.

Will generally use the vehicle to carry 2-3 others (usually full sized) and will often need to carry their briefcase and or laptop bags plus travel bag, a digital whiteboard (48" diagonal but folds in 2) plus an assortment of files and folders, usually enough to fill the entire boot space of a Mini

Weekends 2-3 golf bags is the norm.

Vehicle must look equally at place at an upscale country estate, a posh golf and polo club or at a farmer's market or a Tesco

So far short listed :-

Audi Q7 4.2l V8.
Porsche Cayenne S
Lexus RX 450H

Fuel economy isn't really an issue.... I will get fuel card.
Price, isn't really all that important as it is subsidized purchased.
Maintenance or insurance isn't really an issue.......can claim

The people I would most likely carry would be rich investors from China or financiers from Germany, Switzerland or Luxembourg. Usually will be bringing them to see some business owner from Britain.

Opinions and suggestions please.
All of those cars listed look like upmarket cars, turning up at a farmers market in a porsche cayenne may raise an eyebrow. Your discovery is one of the best cars I can think of for fitting that criteria, closely followed by the Range Rover (not the sport) if you wanted a 4x4.

If you're not bothered about the stigma then I can't recommend the Porsche Cayenne S enough, as long as you're looking at the new face lifted model. The previous gen looked ugly but the new one actually looks very attractive and the interior has being significantly improved. I drove one last year and it was an incredible car to drive, how porsche made a car that big, handle that well, is beyond me. It's also just a nice place to sit, which if you're transporting wealthy investors, is vital.
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would also like to add Range Rover to the list :coma: better than all of the previously mentioned cars!

(Also, tell us your job )
Iorek
Rep:
?
haha, what do you do? i want this job!
Venture capital funding / business development / investor relations.

(Original post by pyuicd)
As fuel, list price, insurance, maintenance don't matter, its pretty hard to give meaninful advice lol. They are all desirable cars and its going to come down to personal taste. Honestly don't know which one i would pick if I was in your shoes. I would maybe add Range Rover to shortlist though.

A few things on each-

Cayenne- best if you are a petrolhead, divisive looks but I like it
Lexus- less likely to break down (not for cost but for your time), also more tame image
Q7- Good all rounder i guess, am i right in thinking you can get it with 7 seats?
Range Rover- I think its beautiful, ultimate luxury, perhaps less reliable. Supporting UK industry too
TBH, prior to this I've never ever considered buying a car without considering the running cost and depreciation even where it was a company car.

The Q7 is indeed a 7 seater, but if you use the 3rd row seats then you would have minimal boot space, and it's only suitable for midgets or kids

Range Rover..... tbh this is among my dream cars, but I work for a Swiss organisation. Generally the Range Rover has somewhat a negative image in Switzerland and Germany..... unreliability, poor residuals, high running cost and generally has a "gangsta" image to it. Me driving one might not go down well with a lot of the people from these countries that would be working with me, and most of my counterparts in those countries normally are Mercedes users.

We looked at the Lexus today, I was expecting it to be a better ride than the Cayenne I had driven just moments before. Surprisingly it wasn't anywhere near as refined. The gearbox felt a bit funny, but the biggest surprise to it was it is actually quite tight on space. Would be a challenge to if I were to carry 3 adults and their briefcases together with my whiteboard. Surprisingly unlike the Audi and Porsche that did not feel as if you were buying just an upscale VW Touareg, the Lexus definitely gave the feel that you were buying an upscale Toyota.

(Original post by miike1234)
All of those cars listed look like upmarket cars, turning up at a farmers market in a porsche cayenne may raise an eyebrow. Your discovery is one of the best cars I can think of for fitting that criteria, closely followed by the Range Rover (not the sport) if you wanted a 4x4.

If you're not bothered about the stigma then I can't recommend the Porsche Cayenne S enough, as long as you're looking at the new face lifted model. The previous gen looked ugly but the new one actually looks very attractive and the interior has being significantly improved. I drove one last year and it was an incredible car to drive, how porsche made a car that big, handle that well, is beyond me. It's also just a nice place to sit, which if you're transporting wealthy investors, is vital.
I tested the Porsche today, it isn't the model I'm planning on, they only had a Turbo for test drives.... I must say I think I could definitely get used to it. Build quality and refinement is miles ahead of my Disco. Even the ride comfort is way better.

Definitely a way better vehicle than the previous generation and finally they got rid of that froggy look. Only thing I don't like all that much is the rear end, especially that big letters. Looks as if they copied Volvo.

As for needing a 4WD, it's a bit difficult to load everything into a regular 4 door saloon especially where I've got to bring 2-3 adults and their luggage plus my whiteboard.

(Original post by tface)
I would also like to add Range Rover to the list :coma: better than all of the previously mentioned cars!

(Also, tell us your job )
Better in what way?
fruit_n_veg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Audi/Lexus/Porsche are good but they have no place on a country estate! Range Rover is the only way to go!
pixitroll
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You want a Range Rover, not them!

It's pretty much the best car in the world - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/Land%20Rover-Range-Rover
Iorek
Rep:
?
(Original post by fruit_n_veg)
The Audi/Lexus/Porsche are good but they have no place on a country estate! Range Rover is the only way to go!
You would be surprised, these days you find more BMW X5s, Mercedes M-class and to a certain extent Toyota Land Cruisers rather than Range Rovers.

Surprisingly too, you find lots of VW Touaregs as well.... many of the people in country estates with money to roll rarely ever buy Range Rovers these days.

(Original post by pixitroll)
You want a Range Rover, not them!

It's pretty much the best car in the world - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/Land%20Rover-Range-Rover
Sales figures say it all....... residuals on them are somewhat horrific... and you would be surprised outside of Britain hardly anyone ranks a Range Rover as highly.

Reliability hasn't been all that good either, my Disco which has the same engine and gearbox has been back to the garage to fix a leaky gearbox twice.
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Range Rover (Sport), Dodge Caliber, BMW X5/X6, Nissan Navara, Ford S-Max, Grand Cherokee, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lancer Sportback?
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just thinking about it slightly differently, does it have to be a 4x4? Could it be an upmarket estate instead? I'm thinking the likes of the Mercedes C or E class, BMW 3 or 5 series, Audi A4 or A6.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aston Martin Rapide.

Sod the others. Let 'em be uncomfortable.
fruit_n_veg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
You would be surprised, these days you find more BMW X5s, Mercedes M-class and to a certain extent Toyota Land Cruisers rather than Range Rovers.

Surprisingly too, you find lots of VW Touaregs as well.... many of the people in country estates with money to roll rarely ever buy Range Rovers these days.

Sales figures say it all....... residuals on them are somewhat horrific... and you would be surprised outside of Britain hardly anyone ranks a Range Rover as highly.

Reliability hasn't been all that good either, my Disco which has the same engine and gearbox has been back to the garage to fix a leaky gearbox twice.
There's a fair few of "gentleman farmers" round my parts and I'd say you're right on the VW Touareg and Toyota Land Cruiser - wouldn't quite agree with the BMW X5 or Merc M-Class...

However the residuals issue is a good reason not to buy a Range Rover if you haven't got money to burn - perhaps the only real reason to buy the Range Rover is the image?

Have you thought about a Volvo XC90? Not really sure if it will fit your needs but I like it - mind you, it has been out since 2002 so I reckon a new model is well overdue...
Iorek
Rep:
?
(Original post by RabbitCFH)
Range Rover (Sport), Dodge Caliber, BMW X5/X6, Nissan Navara, Ford S-Max, Grand Cherokee, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lancer Sportback?
I drove a Grand Cherokee briefly, the experience was not something I cared all that much for.

BMW X5/6, don't really like the shape of the X6... X5 is a good one, but it's starting to look dated and I reckon a facelift or a replacement model would be out soon.

The rest, don't really like them.

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
Just thinking about it slightly differently, does it have to be a 4x4? Could it be an upmarket estate instead? I'm thinking the likes of the Mercedes C or E class, BMW 3 or 5 series, Audi A4 or A6.
The Merc C , Audi A4 and BMW 3 is a bit tight on space for 4 adults to travel in comfort.

The E class, I don't like the looks of it.
The 5 series and A6, the problem will come when I have to carry 3 of them who have travelled from outside UK and have their overnight bags plus laptops. I won't be able to fit my whiteboard in there without exposing what's in the back. The reason for the 4WD is the back is deeper and it is easier to conceal all the bags and the whiteboard.

(Original post by JC.)
Aston Martin Rapide.

Sod the others. Let 'em be uncomfortable.
Even a pre-owned one is more than I could budget for.

(Original post by fruit_n_veg)
There's a fair few of "gentleman farmers" round my parts and I'd say you're right on the VW Touareg and Toyota Land Cruiser - wouldn't quite agree with the BMW X5 or Merc M-Class...

However the residuals issue is a good reason not to buy a Range Rover if you haven't got money to burn - perhaps the only real reason to buy the Range Rover is the image?

Have you thought about a Volvo XC90? Not really sure if it will fit your needs but I like it - mind you, it has been out since 2002 so I reckon a new model is well overdue...
Yup, generally the Range Rover is bought for the image, though outside of Britain the image isn't particularly flattering

The XC90, my parents had one, they got rid of it after 4 months after endless problems with it..... they replaced it with a Lexus LX570 and so far no complaints with it.

Right now on short list :-

Audi Q7
Porsche Cayenne
VW Touareg.
fruit_n_veg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
The XC90, my parents had one, they got rid of it after 4 months after endless problems with it..... they replaced it with a Lexus LX570 and so far no complaints with it.

Right now on short list :-

Audi Q7
Porsche Cayenne
VW Touareg.
I'm surprised with the XC90, it's supposed to be fairly reliable - however like I said it's well old anyway...

To my mind I don't like the Cayenne, it just doesn't look right, so to me it depends on how much you want the country squire look, if you want it go for the Touareg, if not go for the Q7. Presumably the Touareg is cheaper meaning you could either save the money or get one with a few more toys if that floats your boat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise