Uni of Kent - Rutherford/Eliot College Watch

sciencehelp
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I have a conditional place to study Business Admin and Hispanic Studies at Kent in September and I applied for Rutherford/Eliot accomodation (Parkwood being 2nd choice) a few months ago.

I am now beginning to regret my choice of accomodation. One of the reasons I chose it was because I'm independant so I don't like the idea of cooking for other people, cleaning up after others etc. but all I have heard so far about them is that... well its not good. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on here who has lived there recently or is staying there at the moment who can tell me what it's like?

I haven't found the Uni webiste particularly helpful and I am now thinking of ringing the Uni and asking to change my choices.
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sciencehelp)
Hi, I have a conditional place to study Business Admin and Hispanic Studies at Kent in September and I applied for Rutherford/Eliot accomodation (Parkwood being 2nd choice) a few months ago.

I am now beginning to regret my choice of accomodation. One of the reasons I chose it was because I'm independant so I don't like the idea of cooking for other people, cleaning up after others etc. but all I have heard so far about them is that... well its not good. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on here who has lived there recently or is staying there at the moment who can tell me what it's like?

I haven't found the Uni webiste particularly helpful and I am now thinking of ringing the Uni and asking to change my choices.
If you're wondering why the uni website hasn't been too detailed about Rutherford/Eliot then that MIIIIIIIGHT be because they are a bit of a hard sell.

I personally believe I'd have had a lovely time living in Rutherford and Eliot but so many people seem to have hang ups on room aesthetics and stuff.

On the upsides:

- It's cheap
- Centre of campus
- You don't have to worry about feeding yourself (though still have to work out something from lunch; breakfast too if you want to save your dinner time discount money - but breakfast is easy i.e. cereal)
- Proper "halls" feeling where you have a corridor of people in with you and

Drawbacks:

- Not the most charming interior (read that as rather dingy) - like there's nothing wrong with the actual interior, it's all clean and so on, but there's a distinct lack of bright lighting and your room can suffer from this as well if you don't have a window that gets a fair bit of the sunlight.
- Rooms tend to be quite small, I didn't really think they were that small compared to some of the ones I'd seen in other accommodations but people still whinge about this being an issue
- Having your meals cooked for you - some people see this a drawback. Yeh I can see how it's not really achieving independence and people might not like having a restricted menu to pick from and yeh it does feel a bit mass catered school dinner-y but on the flipside you've got another 2 years to do the whole independence thing. Also people are like "oh I don't want to have my meals at a set time" - is a time frame of getting it between 5:30pm and 7:30pm REALLY that restrictive? Having dinner earlier or later than somewhere in there is actually probably unhealthy for you. Also mealtime becomes a really nice social time so long as you make a few friends either from your corridor or elsewhere in Rutherford/Eliot to eat with - so if you've spent the whole day working then you can just relax with friends over dinner - it's nice.
- Shared bathroom facilities - I tend to find that people who consider this a drawback need to wake up and remember that they've probably been sharing a shower/bathroom with their family for the last 18 years. I know the difference is that it'll be people who you don't know who could leave horrific messes etc. but people aren't all that bad, they want to have somewhere nice to shower too! Of all the problems I've heard raised by people in uni accomm with shared facilities then the shared bathroom has rarely been an issue.

That's about it really - so you see the drawbacks are a largely aesthetic issue and I've seen some of the rooms can actually be quite large (if you've got one on the end of a corridor it's usually big). I admit the interior's a bit oppressive but if you can get over this I really don't know what the problem is. I'd happily stay there but maybe I just have really low standards.

I'm gonna stop typing there cos I've already written an essay - hope it's helped, I could probably write more so if you've got anymore questions then I'd be happy to answer.
sciencehelp
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thankyou so much! That was really helpful, thanks for taking the time to reply to me .

When I first applied for accomodation I didn't realise that I wouldn't be cooking my own meals. That was an error on my part as I just assumed that all accomodation had it's own kitchen etc. Now I see it as a positive because my Degree is 4 years long so I will have 3 years of cooking my own meals. Plus, will I have time to be cooking my own meals in the first year? I don't think so.

I'm not bothered about room space, as long as I have a bed to sleep on and a roof over my head. The way I see it, I probably won't be spending that much time in my room anyway so it doens't really matter .
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sciencehelp)
Thankyou so much! That was really helpful, thanks for taking the time to reply to me .

When I first applied for accomodation I didn't realise that I wouldn't be cooking my own meals. That was an error on my part as I just assumed that all accomodation had it's own kitchen etc. Now I see it as a positive because my Degree is 4 years long so I will have 3 years of cooking my own meals. Plus, will I have time to be cooking my own meals in the first year? I don't think so.

I'm not bothered about room space, as long as I have a bed to sleep on and a roof over my head. The way I see it, I probably won't be spending that much time in my room anyway so it doens't really matter .
Yes. Yes you will. You will have so much free time it you'll be wallowing in it

I guess it depends what you do - if you throw yourself into doing like 10 societies (like I do) then you'll be really busy all the time (particularly if you neglect your work like I do and end up having to do it all at the last minute).

Technically you can be really busy like if you obsessively do all the work set and do all the reading bang on time then you'll be plenty busy but the workload for first year is less than subsequent years so it's more of an introduction to what it'll be like in future years.
Jakeh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I moved from Kent (for reasons unrelating to the university, course or anything else to do with Canterbury), this year to UEA.

From what I remember the accomodation you've chosen isn't great, I'd definitely not have chosen to go there if i ended up staying on campus (i went through clearing and had to stay off campus, DO NOT DO THIS ). If its that accomodation or nothing then obviously take it, but I just thought it was horrible, very small and not very nice.

I also found those having the best time were mainly in Tyler Court, their flats are amazing, really great atmosphere. If i could redo first year and have any accomodation it would be these for sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads