Need some help on how to become a teacher! Watch

Laurah5498
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello there!

I'm currently a second-year IR student and have recently decided that I want to be a secondary History teacher. I have a History A-Level so I know I could teach up to GCSE

My main problem is that I'm not doing a national curriculum degree, I'm also very limited with my modules and cannot choose any History modules to supplement my course. I've tried looking around Google for potential conversion courses but the search has been a bit fruitless. Once I've graduated, I'm aiming to work in a school as a TA for a year so I'll have some paid experience. My summer job this year is working in a summer school so I'll have 8 weeks paid experience too

What I'm asking is:
  • Do History conversion courses even exist?

• Is there any chance that I can become a teacher with my degree? It does have a lot of history in it fortunately so I suppose that may help

I know I've decided a bit late to go into teaching but it's what I really want to do

So yes, please help!
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
An A-Level will let you teach a second subject up to GCSE, I know that much (apparently my A* at GCSE french is good enough for me to teach a bit of French up to GCSE alongside my main German course!!)

I think the best thing you can do is search for PGCE courses you like the look of, and ring the providers and ask them- that way they can think over what you have to offer individually rather than you just going by the admissions guides on a couple of websites.

Also, I don't know about conversion courses, but if all the unis said no, I guess you could do an MA?
yellow96
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
modgepodge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some unis offer subject knowledge enhansement courses which you do for 6 months before staring a PGCE. They are normally paid. I looked at doing Biology PGCE, my degree was Psychology and I had bio and chem A levels (grade B), some unis said I wouldn't be accepted (oxford and reading), but oxford brookes said they'd be happy to consider me, and mentioned subject knowledge enhansement courses. This may or may not be necessary, depending on your ability - they'll make that decision based on your degree content etc. Be warned though - history is a massively oversubscribed PGCE course. Def recommend calling providers and asking - I knew instantly there was no point applying to Oxford or Reading as they didn't like my degree. (decided in the end to do primary, but that's another story!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed