The Student Room Group

Banning Gay Kissing on TV

British PM Wants to Ban Gay TV Kisses
British prime minister David Cameron supports a ban on same-sex kisses on television outside late-night "adult" viewing hours.

British prime minister David Cameron wants to restrict same-sex kisses on television to late-night adult viewing hours.

The Sunreports that Cameron, the Conservative leader who attended the royal wedding last week, supports a ban on same-sex kisses during the “pre-watershed” viewing hours before 9 p.m. An independent review may recommend the restriction.

Brooke Vincent, who plays lesbian Sophie Webster on the soap opera Coronation Street, took to Twitter to accuse Cameron of not supporting equality.

According to The Sun, the 18-year-old actress tweeted, "I swear David Cameron's meant to be supporting equal rights. I just think if same-sex kisses are what he is prioritising and concentrating on changing, our country's in trouble."

Source.

Part of the Conservative manifesto was a claim to be tackling homophobia, so I'm wondering why they are supporting descrimination such as this? If gay kissing is too indecent for pre-watershed hours then why is straight kissing fine? Has our Prime Minister been haunted by the ghost of Mary Whitehouse? What's going on here? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm wondering what Nick Clegg is gonna do now, since he had a huge petition for "equal rights". If he backs down on that too, I'mma be pissed. ?_?
Reply 2
Haha classic Cambot!
Reply 3
It was obvious reading their manifesto that there were serious absences from GLBTQ rights. Like the fact that there was no mention of transgender rights and that the minister for equality that he elected is against many gay rights, such as adoption, marriage, the age of consent and the right to educate children about homosexual relationships.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
If they manage this, I'm going to get a t-shirt with some lesbians kissing on it, and wear it in public before the watershed.

I doubt highly, however, that this will actually happen.
Reply 5
I agree that it should be banned if only to protect gays from God's justice. If they don't change their ways, He will be just and send them to Hell.

Edit: Why all the neg reps? Christianity, Islam and Judaism all forbid homosexuality, and as the majority of people are part of one of these religions, we should not accept homosexuality in our society. God will punish them, and it's our duty to teach them the right ways before it's too late.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well if Cameron thinks that ban is just gonna happen without significant uproar he's got another thing coming
Original post by God_X
I agree that it should be banned if only to protect gays from God's justice. If they don't change their ways, He will be just and send them to Hell.

-10/10.
Reply 8
Original post by Tesphena
If gay kissing is too indecent for pre-watershed hours then why is straight kissing fine?

:rolleyes:

lol dey r leik totally da same I dnt even notice if its men or womans or woteva else every1 the same and nuffin is anyfing and all is the same yea btw wind turbines r gr8

:tsr:
Something about this is fishy, when exactly did David Cameron say he was going to do this? I can't find any direct quote from him.
Reply 10
Hmm, not sure about that source. It doesn't seem like something he'd say openly.
Original post by kerily
If they manage this, I'm going to get a t-shirt with some lesbians kissing on it, and wear it in public before the watershed.

I doubt highly, however, that this will actually happen.

Umm yeah.. can I get one of those t shirts as well? In fact gimme two, in case one gets ruined :colondollar:

If a bit stupid to ban kissing on tv. Either have all kissing after watershed or none at all.
Reply 12
Original post by Ferrero Rocher

Original post by Ferrero Rocher
-10/10.

:lolwut:
Reply 13
Original post by God_X

:colonhash: uhh, I hate ignorant religious fools like you.
Reply 14
I can't see the justification for the policy tbh... other than a hysterical "Won't somebody please think of the children?"
If this true, this is beyond vile and ridiculous.

However, i can't find a quote from him and i doubt he'd be stupid enough to shoot himself in the foot over such a trivial issue
What? I thought there were laws against homophobia and discrimination.

I'm not sure if this is true to be honest, it doesn't sound like something Cameron would openly admit he wants to ban.
Reply 17
This will never go through.

But if it does, I'm going to snog every guy I see, even though Im straight...just to piss off the people who want this ridiculous ban
Reply 18
How come no one is disputing the source? The Sun reports?!
Reply 19
Original post by Mally-xo

Original post by Mally-xo
:colonhash: uhh, I hate ignorant religious fools like you.

There's nothing ignorant in following the teachings of Christ. Atheists, on the other hand, take every opportunity they can to attack Christians whilst they have no evidence to prove their claims. It's silly, arrogant people like you who are ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending