OCR MEI Numerical Methods Revision Watch

DymentriX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey there guys, my exam is coming up in a few weeks and I keep getting stuck on the same kind of questions and the book I have is not very good.

Are there any websites with revision material for this exam board?
aams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
try the website mei.org.uk i think (just type mei into google and its the first one). They have some revision resources i think. Yes the book is terrible, just make sure you do the past papers as well (on the site if u need them) because thats probably the best way to revise for Alevel maths exam IMO.
supercal35
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, i need some clarification before the exam tommorow,
the mark schemes give the answers to 6 d.p
but sometimes futher calculations using the answers to 6 d.p gives the answers wrong for example
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/nm09ju_20cs.pdf
in question 6 for the second part the second simpsons rule estimate is 1.428017 when using the midpoint rule as 1.431056 ( 6 d.p) but when you use the midpoint rule as 1.43015560 you get the simpsons rule estimate as 1.428016 which is the correct answer

my question is , do we have to state the answers to 6 d.p or can we put more down for questions like numerical integration.
aams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by supercal35)
Hi, i need some clarification before the exam tommorow,
the mark schemes give the answers to 6 d.p
but sometimes futher calculations using the answers to 6 d.p gives the answers wrong for example
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/nm09ju_20cs.pdf
in question 6 for the second part the second simpsons rule estimate is 1.428017 when using the midpoint rule as 1.431056 ( 6 d.p) but when you use the midpoint rule as 1.43015560 you get the simpsons rule estimate as 1.428016 which is the correct answer

my question is , do we have to state the answers to 6 d.p or can we put more down for questions like numerical integration.
Your best option is to just store the values into your calculator so that you can use the the full values (to avoid rounding errors) for further calculations.
username537823
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how did you guys find it then?
Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I reckon it was harder than usual (well more strenuous particularly with both the secant method and method of false position - fml) and there were odd bits here and there that seemed completely different to past papers.

By the way, for the method of false position, you guys did take each iteration with two values of x that form an interval of the root right?
username537823
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reminisce)
I reckon it was harder than usual (well more strenuous particularly with both the secant method and method of false position - fml) and there were odd bits here and there that seemed completely different to past papers.

By the way, for the method of false position, you guys did take each iteration with two values of x that form an interval of the root right?
Yeah I did that as in found my initial estimate, did f at that root then saw positive or negative therefore root must be between these two..

What did you do for the simpsons rule from trapezium one, did u calculate midpoint rule estimates?
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For discussion of today's exam: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1981740
Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did all your functions of x in false position come out negative so you kept using the interval -1 and the new x?

Midpoint I found by the T2n = (Tn + Mn)/2 formula but rearranged.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed