Don't know what to do with my life...help. Watch

pnorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically I've got my exams coming up, I enjoy my subjects but I don't like education. In fact I hate it, it's so rubbish! Why should I have to spend about 10 years of my life learning things that are sometimes disproven and also I bet I could do the same job that I'd get with good qualifications without years of learning helpful "skills". I was thinking of joining the army when I'm done with my a levels, if I do good then great, if I don't then great. But I don't know if I should? I can't go back once I've chosen which career to do, either be university student or army. When I'm older I want to be a rich man with a beautiful wife and kids, could I still achieve that in the army? :P Thanks... so confused and just don't want to be educated anymore !
ju1c
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nah the army salary is **** unless you have experience or are a high rank offical

Just do well in your exams, truth is nobody is going to earn more than £60k a year just out of uni.

Many people are finding it hard to even find a job these days, even with that the average salary for someone with a degree is around £35-45k.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ju1c)
Nah the army salary is **** unless you have experience or are a high rank offical

Just do well in your exams, truth is nobody is going to earn more than £60k a year just out of uni.

Many people are finding it hard to even find a job these days, even with that the average salary for someone with a degree is around £35-45k.
This is definatley not true.

Army pay can look a bit crap until you realise that a large proportion of your pay packet will be disposable income. I forget the exact figures, but I think you only end up paying about £2000 a year on accomdation and food in the Army, which mean you end up taking home £14k after tax. Which turns out to be far more than a job that would pay £25k a year on Civi street.

That's based on £18k a year for a basic soldier as the go into the army. Not to mention the Golden Hello you could be eligable for.

When you look at Army pay you have to look at what you're taking home, not what you're being payed overall. Once you take rent, utilities, food, gas, electricity, transport, council tax and everything else away from a Civilian pay check of £25k you'll be taking home less than even the most basic soldier.
ju1c
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
This is definatley not true.

Army pay can look a bit crap until you realise that a large proportion of your pay packet will be disposable income. I forget the exact figures, but I think you only end up paying about £2000 a year on accomdation and food in the Army, which mean you end up taking home £14k after tax. Which turns out to be far more than a job that would pay £25k a year on Civi street.

That's based on £18k a year for a basic soldier as the go into the army. Not to mention the Golden Hello you could be eligable for.

When you look at Army pay you have to look at what you're taking home, not what you're being payed overall. Once you take rent, utilities, food, gas, electricity, transport, council tax and everything else away from a Civilian pay check of £25k you'll be taking home less than even the most basic soldier.
Not everyone spends the same amount of money on food, gas, electricity, transport, rent.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ju1c)
Not everyone spends the same amount of money on food, gas, electricity, transport, rent.
The point still stands though. In a normal civilian job a large proportion of your wage is tied up with the normal utilities needed to live life. Not true with the Army. So instead of looking at base wage when comparing pay, you have to look at disposable income, or take home pay after all those utilities have been accounted for.
pnorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for helping guys. I didn't care much about the pay but hey, now I know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed