In which universities in the uk can i study for a phd in pharmacy? Watch

darkprince216
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
After obtaining my master degree from sunderland university.Also, can anyone tell me what the starting salary of a pharmacist with a master degree is. Thanks.
Caponester
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by darkprince216)
After obtaining my master degree from sunderland university.Also, can anyone tell me what the starting salary of a pharmacist with a master degree is. Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by a PhD in pharmacy? All schools of pharmacy are involved to a greater or lesser extent in pharmacy orientated research, whether it is drug discovery, formulation science, biomedical, microbiology, practice based or public health orientated. Some are better than others - just need to do your research and get a good degree classification.

Starting salary depends on your job of course. Community pharmacists start on anything between approximately £32,000 to £40,000 per year before tax while hospital pharmacists are paid via NHS agenda for change and currently start on a yearly pre-tax salary of £25,472. Quite a difference. Can't really comment on academia but suffice to say you will be paid an absolute pittance during your PhD and post doctoral years.

Best of luck.
darkprince216
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caponester)
Not sure what you mean by a PhD in pharmacy? All schools of pharmacy are involved to a greater or lesser extent in pharmacy orientated research, whether it is drug discovery, formulation science, biomedical, microbiology, practice based or public health orientated. Some are better than others - just need to do your research and get a good degree classification.

Starting salary depends on your job of course. Community pharmacists start on anything between approximately £32,000 to £40,000 per year before tax while hospital pharmacists are paid via NHS agenda for change and currently start on a yearly pre-tax salary of £25,472. Quite a difference. Can't really comment on academia but suffice to say you will be paid an absolute pittance during your PhD and post doctoral years.

Best of luck.
Thank you for the details. But what I want to know is, in pharmacy can you study for a phd degree. I don't understand how it works exactly. Or is that clinical pharmacy.
Caponester
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for the details. But what I want to know is, in pharmacy can you study for a phd degree. I don't understand how it works exactly. Or is that clinical pharmacy.
You would study for the DPharm if you wanted to participate in doctoral level research as a pharmacist. It's reasonably similar to the MD for medics. Currently only a few universities provide this degree though. Strathclyde and Bradford spring to mind.
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
These are the programmes that I know of - the list may not be complete but hopefully its a starting point for you.

PhD programmes in pharmacy:
University of Nottingham
The School of Pharmacy at the University of London
King's College London
University of Manchester
University of Bath
Cardiff University
Robert Gordon University
Queen's University Belfast
University of Reading
Medway School of Pharmacy
University of East Anglia
University of Ulster
Univrsity of Hertfordshire
DeMontford University

Professional Doctorates in Pharmacy (DPhil)
Bradford University
Strathclyde University
University of Brighton
University of Portsmouth
darkprince216
Rep:
?
(Original post by OrmondDrone)
These are the programmes that I know of - the list may not be complete but hopefully its a starting point for you.

PhD programmes in pharmacy:
University of Nottingham
The School of Pharmacy at the University of London
King's College London
University of Manchester
University of Bath
Cardiff University
Robert Gordon University
Queen's University Belfast
University of Reading
Medway School of Pharmacy
University of East Anglia
University of Ulster
Univrsity of Hertfordshire
DeMontford University

Professional Doctorates in Pharmacy (DPhil)
Bradford University
Strathclyde University
University of Brighton
University of Portsmouth

Thank you . So after my masters degree from sunderland, I will be able to do one of these, with my MPharm degree. Correct?
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you . So after my masters degree from sunderland, I will be able to do one of these, with my MPharm degree. Correct?
I would expect so but you may want to check with individual universities what their admissions requirements are. Good luck
johnstella3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what are the requirements for P.h.d in pharmacy in the universities of uk??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed