The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Maybe a mini Pearl Harbour? They knew what was going on, or half knew, but either were given bad info, or decided not to act.

Exactly! All the evidence was there, someone didn't do their damn job. To many different branches not working together to put all peices together and realise what was about to go down.
Reply 41
vienna95
but that would imply that 9/11 was a controlled event. ie the US planned it, which is of course, false.

Maybe not controlled, but they probably knew a likely chance of a 9/11 happening. But probably did not a lot to tighten up security before hand.

You do know they have portable missile launchers around the White house, so they are prepared for maybe a helicopter style thing.
They would have anyway, but (I'm all for the war to remove Sadaam) as it is it was a pretty dodgy ground, with France and what not.

With respect, who cares about what France thinks?
Reply 43
Joey_Johns
With respect, who cares about what France thinks?

A member of the UN security council, so USA would never have gotten it past its veto. So it would never have been a UN led coalition.
Reply 44
Maybe not controlled, but they probably knew a likely chance of a 9/11 happening. But probably did not a lot to tighten up security before hand.

You do know they have portable missile launchers around the White house, so they are prepared for maybe a helicopter style thing.

The white house wasn't hit, just the towers and the pentagon.
Reply 45
Infinity

No, I was saying that before 9/11, there was a protocol for having missile launchers on buildings near the White house. As to protect it from limited airborne threats.
A member of the UN security council, so USA would never have gotten it past its veto. So it would never have been a UN led coalition.

Once again. Does America really care about the UN? I think not. American can do what the hell it wants. Its proved that enough times in the past.
Infinity

that day was a dark day for american security - they were totally hapless
Reply 48
Joey_Johns
Once again. Does America really care about the UN? I think not. American can do what the hell it wants. Its proved that enough times in the past.

America doesn't care about the UN. When tehy put troops close to iraq, the dice was rolled, and everything pointed to war. Would you pull your troops out? In from of the world media? No, they would be laughed at, badly.
America doesn't care about the UN. When tehy put troops close to iraq, the dice was rolled, and everything pointed to war. Would you pull your troops out? In from of the world media? No, they would be laughed at, badly.

yes but it was a gamble that doesnt appear to have paid off - now Bush and Blair could yet face impeachment by the Senate House and the Parliament respectively
Reply 50
Infinity
Exactly! All the evidence was there, someone didn't do their damn job. To many different branches not working together to put all peices together and realise what was about to go down.

youll be in favour of extending the Patriot Act, contrary to the wishes of some democrats?
Reply 51
Kurdt Morello
yes but it was a gamble that doesnt appear to have paid off - now Bush and Blair could yet face impeachment by the Senate House and the Parliament respectively

True. But do you really think that it might happen? Not a chance.
Reply 52

they didnt know a great deal primarily because the previous administration had been so sloppy and deprioritised this kind of threat. the CIA has had a file open on Iran since before Bush came to power, yet they were ignored. terrorist organisations werent tracked or monitored. although even at their worst, the US still outperforms and outspends European security and defense by an embarassing amount.
Kurdt Morello

BT's lyrics seem very appropiate:

No man's a jester playing Shakespeare
Round your throne room floor
While the juggler's act is danced upon
The crown that you once wore

And sooner or later
Everybody's kingdom must end
And I'm so afraid your courtiers
Cannot be called best friends

Caesar's had your troubles
Widows had to cry
While mercenaries in cloisters sing
And the king must die

Some men are better staying sailors
Take my word and go
But tell the ostler that his name was
The very first they chose

And if my hands are stained forever
And the altar should refuse me
Would you let me in, would you let me in, would you let me in
Should I cry sanctuary

No man's a jester playing Shakespeare
Round your throne room floor
While the juggler's act is danced upon
The crown that you once wore

The king is dead, the king is dead
The king is dead, the king is dead
Long live the king

Mastery.
Reply 54
Kurdt Morello

how does that work?
Reply 55
Kurdt Morello
that day was a dark day for american security - they were totally hapless

I live less than an hour away from where the third plane went down,It actually went over my town, I have freinds that were on the scene after the crash, I've been there after, Just this great hole in the ground and nothing else. I cried when I went. That plane could have taken out so many more people than it did, but the people on it sacrificed themselves, to save others. But it should'nt have happened, it could have been prevented.
Reply 56
vienna95
youll be in favour of extending the Patriot Act, contrary to the wishes of some democrats?

Not really, because all the evidence was at their dispossal before the patriot act. I just wish they would take the threats more seriously than they have. They get tons of false alarms, but they still need to investigate each threat as if it could happen, or else it will happen again.
Reply 57
Infinity
Not really, because all the evidence was at their dispossal before the patriot act. I just wish they would take the threats more seriously than they have. They get tons of false alarms, but they still need to investigate each threat as if it could happen, or else it will happen again.

the evidence was there but they were unable to pass it between themselves. the patriot act removes these, at times, ridiculous barriers in information sharing.
Reply 58
vienna95
the evidence was there but they were unable to pass it between themselves. the patriot act removes these, at times, ridiculous barriers in information sharing.

As long as the power is not abused, I have no problem with it.
Reply 59
Infinity
As long as the power is not abused, I have no problem with it.

theres little chance of that. the democrat opposition comes from their concerns over personal liberties and rights in sharing of information.

Latest

Trending

Trending