Building my own PC - will this work? Watch

neon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, i'm thinking of building my own pc. Basically I want to be able to play most games and high/best settings but, of course, I don't want to spend a whole load of money. I've put together a list of components to make my own PC and worked out a rough cost (costs from amazon.co.uk) of £691 which is perfect because its under £700.

I was just wondering if (a) there were any components that were better for a similar price, (b) the components will go together, (c) whether there is/are a better site to find the components on, and (d) whether this will create a PC that will do a good job at playing games such as Black Ops, BBC2, GTA IV, Crysis 2 at high/best graphics and without really putting too much pressure on the PC. I also do a bit of video editing and i'll be connecting it up to an HD monitor through HDMI/DVI.

Ok, so here's what I have so far:
Motherboard: ASRock AM3 M3A770DE/A/ASR Motherboard Socket S/L 5200MT/S
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition
Graphics: MSI Radeon HD 6950 - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (R6950-2PM2D2GD5)
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu - Memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.65 V - unbuffered - non-ECC
Hard Drive: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X SATA DVD-RW - Black
Case: Zalman Z7-PLUS Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Computer Chassis
Power: Seasonic S12II-620 620W ATX12V Standard Power Supply Unit - Bronze
Cooling: Corsair Air Series A70; CPU Cooler (CAFA70)
Wireless USB stick (not sure if I really need a built in card): TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
Sound: I don't know if it's worth getting a dedicated sound card as I've read the inbuilt sound cards tend to do a pretty decent job. At the moment I connect my laptop up to my HD screen and then up to a Hi-fi and it sounds as good as i'll need.

Obviously the links go to Amazon but i'm not against getting the components from anywhere else. Thanks a lot in advance, I'm totally new to this.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Looks fine, what monitor you using?
buzzcat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
dude please don't buy your components from amazon... use scan or overclockers. otherwise looks like a good build, have fun
Elbonian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neon)
Hi, i'm thinking of building my own pc. Basically I want to be able to play most games and high/best settings but, of course, I don't want to spend a whole load of money. I've put together a list of components to make my own PC and worked out a rough cost (costs from amazon.co.uk) of £691 which is perfect because its under £700.

I was just wondering if (a) there were any components that were better for a similar price, (b) the components will go together, (c) whether there is/are a better site to find the components on, and (d) whether this will create a PC that will do a good job at playing games such as Black Ops, BBC2, GTA IV, Crysis 2 at high/best graphics and without really putting too much pressure on the PC. I also do a bit of video editing and i'll be connecting it up to an HD monitor through HDMI/DVI.

Ok, so here's what I have so far:
Motherboard: ASRock AM3 M3A770DE/A/ASR Motherboard Socket S/L 5200MT/S
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition
Graphics: MSI Radeon HD 6950 - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (R6950-2PM2D2GD5)
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu - Memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.65 V - unbuffered - non-ECC
Hard Drive: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X SATA DVD-RW - Black
Case: Zalman Z7-PLUS Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Computer Chassis
Power: Seasonic S12II-620 620W ATX12V Standard Power Supply Unit - Bronze
Cooling: Corsair Air Series A70; CPU Cooler (CAFA70)
Wireless USB stick (not sure if I really need a built in card): TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
Sound: I don't know if it's worth getting a dedicated sound card as I've read the inbuilt sound cards tend to do a pretty decent job. At the moment I connect my laptop up to my HD screen and then up to a Hi-fi and it sounds as good as i'll need.

Obviously the links go to Amazon but i'm not against getting the components from anywhere else. Thanks a lot in advance, I'm totally new to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbEBARu6LY

To build a PC, here are an awesome set of tutorials. A little outdated, so bear that in mind and scan through the comments below the vids. But the ratings are very high.

As far as performance is concerned, the components you've listed are sufficient for high end gaming.

EDIT: And I agree with the person above, don't buy individual components off Amazon. You need the make sure the components are all compatible with each other. If there's some sort of computer shopping centre, your best bet is to attend one of those because the shop keepers are often helpful. If you have a friend who knows his fair share about computers, bring him along as well.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
use ebuyer or scan. they're probably the cheapest and most reliable.

i'll build it for you if you want for about £40.
neon
Rep:
?
I won't, I was just using them as a price estimate and since I didn't really know where to look that was reliable.

Another thing. With processors, is it worth going for this: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Six-core Processor - 3.20 GHz, 9 MB Cache, Socket AM3, 125W, 45 nm, 3 Year Warranty, Retail Boxed over the processor I previously listed? Out of everything in the PC, the processor is what baffles me the most. Obviously that processor is better, but will the difference really translate into significantly better performance? Also, are the new Intel sandy Bridge processors better/worth the extra cost or are the AMD processors adequate? Thanks a lot
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here we go

Sandybridge CPU are much faster than AMDs current phenom 2
neon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dumachi)
Here we go

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This looks good, and you obviously know more than me. I've looked up a bit and i'm not entirely sure of the differences between the i5 2500k and the phenom II but am I right in saying the i5 is slightly better? But is it worth the extra money for what I need?

I've also read that the visible difference between 1GB and 2GB in graphics cards is minimal but for some reason I still think 2GB is probably better, but I see you've picked a 1GB card. Does it matter?

Also, i'm looking at Intel Core i7-2600 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor. Is that much better than the Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor ie worth the extra cost? I think i'm swayed towards intel now.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neon)
This looks good, and you obviously know more than me. I've looked up a bit and i'm not entirely sure of the differences between the i5 2500k and the phenom II but am I right in saying the i5 is slightly better? But is it worth the extra money for what I need?

I've also read that the visible difference between 1GB and 2GB in graphics cards is minimal but for some reason I still think 2GB is probably better, but I see you've picked a 1GB card. Does it matter?
the 2gb card wont benefit unless your intend to use eyeinfinity, or game at stupid resolutions (2560 x 1600+) at which case a 6950 wont be powerfull enough anyway.

The core i5 2500k is about 60% faster than that phenom II and the gap just increases when you overclock, the i5 can overclock to insane speeds with very little heat.

The core i7 2600k isnt needed imo save your cash trust me.

Heres some information on the 2500k verses the phenom 974 (faster than the one u linked)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1163/16
neon
Rep:
?
the 2gb card wont benefit unless your intend to use eyeinfinity, or game at stupid resolutions (2560 x 1600+) at which case a 6950 wont be powerfull enough anyway.

The core i5 2500k is about 60% faster than that phenom II and the gap just increases when you overclock, the i5 can overclock to insane speeds with very little heat.

The core i7 2600k isnt needed imo save your cash trust me.
That about settles it then. Apart from what you've listed such as eyefinity and the huge resolutions, what wouldn't I be able to do on the computer? Just to give me a framework to work around.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neon)
That about settles it then. Apart from what you've listed such as eyefinity and the huge resolutions, what wouldn't I be able to do on the computer? Just to give me a framework to work around.

nothing? i carnt think of anything.
neon
Rep:
?
nothing? i carnt think of anything.
Thanks a lot for your help, that comparison of the 2 processors looks pretty conclusive. I found the components pretty cheap on overclockers so I might go with them but it all looks pretty good. Cheers.
neon
Rep:
?
Looks fine, what monitor you using?
I'm on a 19 inch Samsung syncmaster 933HD btw. Nothing special
neon
Rep:
?
Got a question about the graphics cards. I know I won't 'need' the 2gb card over the 1gb card but I have read that you can unlock and overclock the 2gb 6950 to run pretty much the same as the 6970. This seems like a good deal to me, However, I have also read that core clock speed is more important than memory and the 1gb has 830MHz whereas the 2gb has 800MHz.

Basically I want to know if it is worth sacrificing the 30MHz for the added power in overclocking? Also, the 1gb has dual fans whereas the 2gb only has a single fan, but I'm not hugely bothered about noise; am bothered as to whether the card will overheat though.

The cards I am comparing are: XFX HD 6950 ATI AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB and the XFX HD 6950 XXX Dual Fan ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB

Thanks
neon
Rep:
?
Current ideas for build:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor OEM
Graphics: XFX HD 6950 ATI AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB (to unlock to 6970 specs)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Hard Drive: Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive
Optical Drive: PIONEER DVR-S19LBK DVD Writer, SATA
Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Power: Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W Power Supply (PSU)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case with Fan Controller - Black
USB wi-fi stick: TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
Monitor: Going to use my Samsung syncmaster 933HD 19" hooked up via HDMI
Sound: Going to go with the onboard sound connected through my monitor and into a hi-fi.
Think thats all.

Total cost comes to £689.38 without any delivery costs. Looks pretty reasonable to me. Don't know if i've missed anything out or made any mistakes with compatibility.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neon)
Current ideas for build:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor OEM
Graphics: XFX HD 6950 ATI AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB (to unlock to 6970 specs)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Hard Drive: Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive
Optical Drive: PIONEER DVR-S19LBK DVD Writer, SATA
Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Power: Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W Power Supply (PSU)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case with Fan Controller - Black
USB wi-fi stick: TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
Monitor: Going to use my Samsung syncmaster 933HD 19" hooked up via HDMI
Sound: Going to go with the onboard sound connected through my monitor and into a hi-fi.
Think thats all.

Total cost comes to £689.38 without any delivery costs. Looks pretty reasonable to me. Don't know if i've missed anything out or made any mistakes with compatibility.
You carnt unlock the 6950 any more, AMD caught on and locked it in the hardware
neon
Rep:
?
You carnt unlock the 6950 any more, AMD caught on and locked it in the hardware
Really? That's a bit rubbish then. I'll go for the extra clock speed then instead. Cuts £5 off but i'm still not sure whether an extra GB is better than the extra 30Mhz.

Edit: Scrap the need for crossfire support. I have 2 choices: the current one, or this one; Storm Silent LPK19-35 700W Power Supply

The only real difference I can see is that the current one is ATX 2.3 whereas this one is ATX 2.2 so it will be slightly less efficient. Is this important? It is less than half the price and a higher Wattage just in case, and to me looks a better deal, but i'm not sure if there are any other differences between them or if the ATX difference is that important.

Differences: One on the left is the new one, right is current one

Attached files
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neon)
Really? That's a bit rubbish then. I'll go for the extra clock speed then instead. Cuts £5 off but i'm still not sure whether an extra GB is better than the extra 30Mhz.

With regards to the power supply, i'd like one that gives me the option in the future to utilise the crossfire feature and maybe put in another graphics card. Because of this, I need a power supply like the one listed but I'm not sure whether a cheaper one would also suffice?
Will this work just as well?
EZCool Silent 650W Power Supply (PSU)
Its a fair bit cheaper and it doesn't look that different but I don't really understand the technical specs.
Not that PSU is rubbish try this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-...-12v-135mm-fan

I know its bit expensive but your going to need least 800w to power 2x 6950s
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neon)

Edit: Scrap the need for crossfire support. I have 2 choices: the current one, or this one; Storm Silent LPK19-35 700W Power Supply

The only real difference I can see is that the current one is ATX 2.3 whereas this one is ATX 2.2 so it will be slightly less efficient. Is this important? It is less than half the price and a higher Wattage just in case, and to me looks a better deal, but i'm not sure if there are any other differences between them or if the ATX difference is that important.

Differences: One on the left is the new one, right is current one

Never heard of them and the price and fact they dont state its efficency is a instant no-no to me. PSU is something you dont wanna skimp on in the system because if it overloads and is a cheap one with no protection it will fry ure motherboard, ram and cpu.

It has less amps on the 12v rails but is 700w lol
neon
Rep:
?
Never heard of them and the price and fact they dont state its efficency is a instant no-no to me. PSU is something you dont wanna skimp on in the system because if it overloads and is a cheap one with no protection it will fry ure motherboard, ram and cpu.

It has less amps on the 12v rails but is 700w lol
Alright, I'll stick with the corsair. Consensus on the internet is thats the most reliable PSU manufacturer and I don't want anything getting fried.

On a sidenote, do you know what sort of GHz i could overclock the i5 with without causing any heat issues?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.65%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.11%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (707)
47.45%

Watched Threads