Can we be friends? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My ex ended our 6 year relationship 5 weeks ago, I was devastated but am a lot better now. He said only contact him if I need to, I was really upset by this as in the end we were very good friends throughout our time together. I don't miss our relationship as there were too many problems and we cannot change who we are. He said he still had feelings but got with someone else the next week - there was evidence of emotional cheating. I know he wasn't the one but we stayed together out of convenience. He was a big part of my life and I don't know why he doesn't want to be friends? Should I just wait for him to contact me?
rbnphlp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
he sounds like a **** ,and you sound too clingy .. just move on with your life , he clearly doesnt care about you as much as you do about him . Im sure you can find someone who can do that .
WolfishSmile
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Give it time, it's never easy to go from a relationship to a friendship... especially if it was 6 years long. Give him some space, and take some yourself.. In a few weeks, re-evaluate
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My ex ended our 6 year relationship 5 weeks ago, I was devastated but am a lot better now. He said only contact him if I need to, I was really upset by this as in the end we were very good friends throughout our time together. I don't miss our relationship as there were too many problems and we cannot change who we are. He said he still had feelings but got with someone else the next week - there was evidence of emotional cheating. I know he wasn't the one but we stayed together out of convenience. He was a big part of my life and I don't know why he doesn't want to be friends? Should I just wait for him to contact me?
what on earth does that mean?

if he doesn't want to be friends with you then leave him be. Being friends with you will just re-open old wounds; and he doesn't want that to happen so let it go.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
what on earth does that mean?

if he doesn't want to be friends with you then leave him be. Being friends with you will just re-open old wounds; and he doesn't want that to happen so let it go.
He had been cheating by messaging this woman on the internet before dumping me
SugarPuffs
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It sounds like he has forgotten about you and your 6-year relationship together and has moved on to another girl. It is time for you to move on also and only contact him if its urgent or he calls/texts you. You don't want to seem too clingy, even though you really want to stay good friends with him. I wouldn't be that desperate to be friends with him anyway if he had cheated and then broke up with you soon afterwards, that's just disrespectful.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He had been cheating by messaging this woman on the internet before dumping me
are these messages of a sexual nature?
Jar of Hearts
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He probably doesn't want to be friends because either..
1. You did something terrible.
2. It's too hard to be 'just friends'.
3. He wants to get over you.
4. Other.

If he said don't contact him don't contact him: he doesn't want to know.
popdrops
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Distance yourself from him. If he does have feelings for you still he'll come crawling back..but I recommend that you just live your own life and block him out.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
are these messages of a sexual nature?
Yes, he met up with her a week later and slept with her He was suffering mental health problems but refused to talk to anyone and said he hated us all. It was out of character for him.
rbnphlp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He was suffering mental health problems but refused to talk to anyone and said he hated us all. It was out of character for him.
I take back what I said about him before (sorry).You Should have mentioned that he had mental health problems in your OP though .
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rbnphlp)
I take back what I said about him before (sorry).You Should have mentioned that he had mental health problems in your OP though .
I know, its hard cos obviously I still care for him but he's in a bad place and doesn't even realise. People have said he is driving away those he loves. Feel awful knowing the guy is experiencing a breakdown. I just wish he recovers soon.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, he met up with her a week later and slept with her He was suffering mental health problems but refused to talk to anyone and said he hated us all. It was out of character for him.
in light of this new information i don't think you'll be able to establish any meaningful friendship; just let him go, find someone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed