Intel Core i5-2540M vs Intel Core i5-2410M Watch

Gowrav
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys,

I am thinking of buying the new dell xps 15. I am currently trying to find out the difference between these two specs and what difference will this make when using the laptop. I'm just trying to see if it is worth spending the extra money.

2nd Generation
Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90GHz for £559

2nd Generation
Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30GHz for £679

Thanks

P.S I know it will be faster
hxecute
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it's worth £120 more...
Gowrav
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxecute)
I don't think it's worth £120 more...
Neither do I, but I just want to know the difference really and judge for myself. I might use that to get myself a fhd screen instead
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's quite a bit faster, depends how you are planning on using the laptop really!
hxecute
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gowrav)
Neither do I, but I just want to know the difference really and judge for myself. I might use that to get myself a fhd screen instead
The difference is minuscule. You won't see much of a performance increase in any application, except a game here or there. But even then, I doubt the increase in performance would be by much.

Check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...0M+%40+2.60GHz

The 2410M is about 20 rows below it. As you can see, the difference isn't that great...
Gowrav
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxecute)
The difference is minuscule. You won't see much of a performance increase in any application, except a game here or there. But even then, I doubt the increase in performance would be by much.

Check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...0M+%40+2.60GHz

The 2410M is about 20 rows below it. As you can see, the difference isn't that great...
That list surely can't be right? I thought the processor I was going for (sandy bridge) was one of the top spec ones, but according to the list it basically is saying that it is **** and a lot of the older processors are better?
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That list surely can't be right? I thought the processor I was going for (sandy bridge) was one of the top spec ones, but according to the list it basically is saying that it is **** and a lot of the older processors are better?
That list looks like it's comparing almost every processor out there. Mobile chips for laptops, Desktop chips, Server chips, Intel and AMD.

You're looking at the mobil chips which usually are a bit slower than the desktop versions as they have to be much better with their power consumption and heat.

The Server chips are usually much faster but they have less to worry about in terms of heat generation. They're often also designed to work in multi processor systems

In terms of buying a laptop unless you're trying to play the latest games or render high def movies the processor probably wont make much of a difference (and in those examples a good dedicated graphics card is likely to be of more use). The key component that's likely to make more difference is having enough ram. Id recommend 2GB as an absolute minimum and ideally 3 or 4GB.
Gowrav
Rep:
?
(Original post by mfaxford)
That list looks like it's comparing almost every processor out there. Mobile chips for laptops, Desktop chips, Server chips, Intel and AMD.

You're looking at the mobil chips which usually are a bit slower than the desktop versions as they have to be much better with their power consumption and heat.

The Server chips are usually much faster but they have less to worry about in terms of heat generation. They're often also designed to work in multi processor systems

In terms of buying a laptop unless you're trying to play the latest games or render high def movies the processor probably wont make much of a difference (and in those examples a good dedicated graphics card is likely to be of more use). The key component that's likely to make more difference is having enough ram. Id recommend 2GB as an absolute minimum and ideally 3 or 4GB.
Thanks!!. I thought this was the case as some of the CPU did seem to be fore desktops only
Repressor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
2nd Generation
Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90GHz for £559

2nd Generation
Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30GHz for £679

Thanks

P.S I know it will be faster
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=52224,50072,

Also, there is the Lenovo ThinkPad E520 which has similar specs (might be cheaper). Both will be cheaper if you use quidco, I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.2%
No - but I will (6)
3.66%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.1%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
53.05%

Watched Threads