How does it work if you are sick and need a doctor's note? Watch

muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It hasn't yet happened to me, but in case if I get sick and need a doctor's note to show to my manager (at McDonalds) that I am actually sick? The problem would be that whenever I need an appointment from my gp, the earliest they can give is in 4-5 days and after that I would be fit again anyway in most cases.

For example:

If I get a bad cold and can't go to work. My manager would ask me if I had a doctor's note. How am I supposed to get one? If I go in 4/5 days, my cold would most likely be gone...
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well get one for when you go back in 4/5 days time?...... doesn't take a genius to figure this out - just get an appointment asap, i'm pretty sure you're not able to book doctors appointments 24 hours in advance so it's not like you'll not get an appointment, just phone in early

surely you didn't need to ask a question like this.....
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
It hasn't yet happened to me, but in case if I get sick and need a doctor's note to show to my manager (at McDonalds) that I am actually sick? The problem would be that whenever I need an appointment from my gp, the earliest they can give is in 4-5 days and after that I would be fit again anyway in most cases.

For example:

If I get a bad cold and can't go to work. My manager would ask me if I had a doctor's note. How am I supposed to get one? If I go in 4/5 days, my cold would most likely be gone...
you usually don't need a docs note for absences of 5 days or less, you can self certify. You need a drs note to cover anything over this, however it will depend on your employers sickness policy but it should be something along these lines.
muffingg
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
you usually don't need a docs note for absences of 5 days or less, you can self certify. You need a drs note to cover anything over this, however it will depend on your employers sickness policy but it should be something along these lines.
I don't know, but I once had an injury but could still work although I tried to ask my manager for a day off. He wanted a doctor's note or he would add it as an unpaid holiday.

And also is that anything official that you don't need a note for less than 5 days or is it just an approximation by you? In other words: Is there a source clearly stating you don't need doctor's note unless it's more than 5 days?
muffingg
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
well get one for when you go back in 4/5 days time?...... doesn't take a genius to figure this out - just get an appointment asap, i'm pretty sure you're not able to book doctors appointments 24 hours in advance so it's not like you'll not get an appointment, just phone in early

surely you didn't need to ask a question like this.....
In 4/5 days I'll have recovered, so the doctor wouldn't be able to say I was sick. And anyway when I have recovered, how am I supposed to go to my gp when I'll be working at the time when the praxis is open? This all does make me ask a question like this. It's not as simple as you think or you didn't understand the situation fully I think.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know, but I once had an injury but could still work although I tried to ask my manager for a day off. He wanted a doctor's note or he would add it as an unpaid holiday.

And also is that anything official that you don't need a note for less than 5 days or is it just an approximation by you? In other words: Is there a source clearly stating you don't need doctor's note unless it's more than 5 days?
Generally most the companies I used to deal with sickness absences had the 5 day self certification period (I used to work in payroll and HR), however like I said, it may differ from comapny to company but its usually pretty similar. You should have something in your contract of employment or employee handbook about sickness absences.

Whether or not it is paid, which is what I'm guessing you are getting at with your first bit about your manager asking for a docs note will differ vastly, I've worked for pubs where they do not pay sickness at all and if you are off for a long time you would have to claim SSP from the DWP to other jobs where they have generous sickness pay for employees after a qualifying period within the company. However the certification period has been the same.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In 4/5 days I'll have recovered, so the doctor wouldn't be able to say I was sick. And anyway when I have recovered, how am I supposed to go to my gp when I'll be working at the time when the praxis is open? This all does make me ask a question like this. It's not as simple as you think or you didn't understand the situation fully I think.
why must you get one in 4/5 days time? can't you get a doctors note for the next day after you phoned in sick? then present that note 4/5 days later?......

practices don't shut at 5 on the dot......... besides i doubt you're doing a 9-5 shift at mcdonalds and even if you are, why not book an appointment for after 5?

it really is a simple situation.....
moregano
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
McDonald's are very relaxed about stuff like this, it's not something you need to worry about at all.

If you do phone in sick and someone asks you for a note, just call up your GP and say you need a sick note and you're worried about waiting 5 days in case there's no evidence of you having been ill, they'll sort something out for you.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this might help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (255)
38.93%
No - but I will (45)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.18%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.02%

Watched Threads