Mass mailing my Cv Watch

Rhys1988
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm fedup with getting no where, i was thinking about just mailing my Cv, covering letter and a referance to every business in my area. Does anyone know how best to go about around doing this? Are there lists of all the business in a given area that i can get a hold of?
threeportdrift
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rhys1988)
I'm fedup with getting no where, i was thinking about just mailing my Cv, covering letter and a referance to every business in my area. Does anyone know how best to go about around doing this? Are there lists of all the business in a given area that i can get a hold of?
It is likely to be a waste of time. The most competitive CVs are the best tailored ones. Quality in a CV will be more successful than a quantity of CVs. Your lack of success so far is almost certainly because you haven't been making your CV tailored enough for each job you are applying for. Mass mailing your CV is just the worst end of that approach.

You should decide a specific job you want to apply for. Work out 4-6 skills the employer will be looking for. Work out how you can give evidence of having those skills, then write a tailored CV that focusses just on those 4-6 skills. If you want to apply for a different job, then you go through the same process again.

Employers don't want any sort of employee, they want a specific person who has the specific skills they need to do the job. So long as they get more than 1 application, and at the moment they are likely to get about 100 for an entry level job, then it is a competition. A mass mailed CV is never going to be competitive.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Much like threeportdrift said , your CV must be tailored per job. I mass mailed my CV but made sure to use a simple generic template. I then tweaked each generic one to be suitable to the job setting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads