Has my skin had a reaction? Watch

theonelink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so for the past year or so i've had this 'fungal' infection under the skin on and around my nose which causes it to go bright red and flaky. In the past i've been prescribed cream which clears it up for the most part yet it keeps returning.

I went to the see my gp a week ago and was prescribed 2 months of antibiotics and a moisturiser. As soon as I started using both these the infection has spread onto my forehead and into my scalp (omfg).

I swear, my face is on ****ing fire atm. Feels like i've been seriously sunburned. My skin feels so tight. Its also started to weep a bit. I can't stand being seen in public like this.

So my question is:
is it possible I have had some sort of reaction to the moisturiser or antibiotics? because since starting them, they have made my skin so, so much worse.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would seem that way, go see the doctor again.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
apply sudocrem and stop touching it.
Sabriella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds to me like an allergic reaction, yes. Go back to your GP IMMEDIATELY.
theonelink
Rep:
?
I haven't been able to get into the Doctors with all the bank holidays atm :eek:
sparrow-legs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What was your original diagnosis? The 'red and flaky' condition sounds like seborrhoeic dermatitis, which is basically an inflammatory reaction to a type of microbe that lives on the skin. It is the same organism that causes itchy, flaky scalp (dandruff) and is usually treated with creams and washes that contain things like zinc, salicylic acid...

What is the name of the cream you were prescribed in the past?

It's definitely possible that you are having a reaction to the new moisturiser. I have very sensitive skin too, and if I'm not careful about what I used on my face I can get an extreme reaction too...itching, severe burning...horrible! So I know how you feel.

My advice would be to maybe stop using the moisturiser for a few days and see if it clears up. Certain antibiotics can also cause skin reactions, but I would talk to your GP before you stop taking these. Make an appointment ASAP and see what the doctor says
theonelink
Rep:
?
(Original post by sparrow-legs)
What was your original diagnosis? The 'red and flaky' condition sounds like seborrhoeic dermatitis, which is basically an inflammatory reaction to a type of microbe that lives on the skin. It is the same organism that causes itchy, flaky scalp (dandruff) and is usually treated with creams and washes that contain things like zinc, salicylic acid...

What is the name of the cream you were prescribed in the past?

It's definitely possible that you are having a reaction to the new moisturiser. I have very sensitive skin too, and if I'm not careful about what I used on my face I can get an extreme reaction too...itching, severe burning...horrible! So I know how you feel.

My advice would be to maybe stop using the moisturiser for a few days and see if it clears up. Certain antibiotics can also cause skin reactions, but I would talk to your GP before you stop taking these. Make an appointment ASAP and see what the doctor says
Yeah thats it i'm sure. The cream I was prescribed (that works) was called Nizoral I think. Its works but the red flakyness always comes back. The cream is like a preventative as opposed to a cure
sparrow-legs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here is a link about seborrhoeic dermatitis: http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dermatitis...ermatitis.html

You're right in that it's a case of managing it rather than curing it. There are lots of different creams available with different active ingredients. You might like to talk to your doctor about trying some? If the condition affects your scalp you can use an antidandruff shampoo such as head and shoulders.

In future before using a new cream, place a little bit somewhere inconspicuous like behind your ear, or on a tiny area of your face and wait for 24 hours or so to make sure you don't develop a reaction.

I know it sucks having sensitive skin, but if you keep looking for an answer you'll get there in the end! Make that GP appointment Good luck
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid the only realistic course of action now is a face amputation. Sorry
theonelink
Rep:
?
Here is a link about seborrhoeic dermatitis: http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dermatitis...ermatitis.html

You're right in that it's a case of managing it rather than curing it. There are lots of different creams available with different active ingredients. You might like to talk to your doctor about trying some? If the condition affects your scalp you can use an antidandruff shampoo such as head and shoulders.

In future before using a new cream, place a little bit somewhere inconspicuous like behind your ear, or on a tiny area of your face and wait for 24 hours or so to make sure you don't develop a reaction.

I know it sucks having sensitive skin, but if you keep looking for an answer you'll get there in the end! Make that GP appointment Good luck
Thanks for the helpful responses Its spread to my scalp since using these new treatments. Ive had this on and off for a year and never had any problems with the scalp but since last week
theonelink
Rep:
?

Do you think if i asked for said cream on a repeat prescription they would allow it?
Big_C.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to suffer from something similar all over my face. I was prescribed various creams and gels that ended up giving me the same response that you seem to be getting!

Then I was prescribed some oxytetracycline! That was a life saver almost cleared it all up.

Except for a stubborn scabby, ezcema like stuff around my mouth for that I used betnovate rd cream on prescription and E45 and that seems to have worked.

Good luck!
theonelink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Big_C.)
I used to suffer from something similar all over my face. I was prescribed various creams and gels that ended up giving me the same response that you seem to be getting!

Then I was prescribed some oxytetracycline! That was a life saver almost cleared it all up.

Except for a stubborn scabby, ezcema like stuff around my mouth for that I used betnovate rd cream on prescription and E45 and that seems to have worked.

Good luck!
Has it cleared completely?
Big_C.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by theonelink)
Has it cleared completely?
The flakiness has in the main, although I still get dandruff but head and shoulders works just fine for that

Just the plain old eczema left now! Even though thats almost cleared up now thankfully! Touchwood
kingkev
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by theonelink)
Thanks for the helpful responses Its spread to my scalp since using these new treatments. Ive had this on and off for a year and never had any problems with the scalp but since last week
Hey don't get too disheartened it could be worse, I've been living with eczema and dermatitis for 23 years, I am 23.

Anyway to be a bit more helpful, you've had most likely had a reaction to the antibiotics (I've had reactions to amox and it's not been pretty). If it's spread to your scalp get your GP to prescribe you some sort of shampoo, now don't get the ****ty polytar stuff get the good stuff (Nizoral 2%) I've noticed you had the Nizoral cream so I don't see why your GP shouldn't give you the shampoo. Just out of interest what moisturiser have you been prescribed? A few good moisturisers out there are Epaderm and Doublebase.
theonelink
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingkev)
Hey don't get too disheartened it could be worse, I've been living with eczema and dermatitis for 23 years, I am 23.

Anyway to be a bit more helpful, you've had most likely had a reaction to the antibiotics (I've had reactions to amox and it's not been pretty). If it's spread to your scalp get your GP to prescribe you some sort of shampoo, now don't get the ****ty polytar stuff get the good stuff (Nizoral 2%) I've noticed you had the Nizoral cream so I don't see why your GP shouldn't give you the shampoo. Just out of interest what moisturiser have you been prescribed? A few good moisturisers out there are Epaderm and Doublebase.
Its called diprobase, sound familiar to doublebase? I'm staying well clear of it now though that sht is lethal. Thanks for the help and info
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.79%
No - but I will (87)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.73%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (540)
47.79%

Watched Threads