The Student Room Group

Most intelligent, creative and well written TV shows

In your opinion - what show do you have in mind for having outstanding dialogue either in a comedic/comic sense, it's generally really funny, creative, referential and intelligent in its' writing and jokes (for Sitcoms for example) or in just the way that it's written in a dramatic sense

As a drama you think it's got realistic dialogue, making believable and real characters with great rapport / banter, as well as making for great dramatic scenes / drama in general

For me

Lost (Totally had the believable characters, high tension, super dramatic moments, as well as humour and references to pop culture, generally a well written show with realistic dialogue to boot and helps to suspend disbelief seeing the genre the show is in)

Life Unexpected

Arrested Development (I'd say it's one of if not the best written sitcom ever)

True Blood

How I met your Mother (same as arrested Development imo, the continual creativity in the show stands out)

Community

Also want to add 30 Rock to the list ofc! really well written and creative

Sup with all the negs? no one likes any of these shows or something...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
30 Rock.
Community.
The War at Home.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
South Park

The League borders between the two in bold and the other three.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think parks and recreation is hilarious and in a similar vein to Arrested development, which I agree is the best thing ever.
hi negs :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
- The Wire
- The Killing
- Parks & Recreation
- The Thick of It
- Look Around You
- The Sopranos
Reply 5
Big Bang Theory.
Misfits.
Reply 7
True Blood- DEFINITELY. Good call.

The Mentalist
Reply 8
Original post by morematterlessartx
Misfits.

Nuff said.
The Sopranos
Outnumbered-though some of it is unscripted.

Being Human; starts off slowly and gets really gripping around the 3rd episode.

Gavin and Stacey-witty.

American Dad- Hilarious!
(edited 12 years ago)
HOUSE!

Omg how could I forget House =D
Reply 12
The Office (U.K. Version ONLY) is a clear winner
Spiral: The Butcher of La Valette

It's a French equivilant of the Bill (just much more violent) which I'm following on BBC 4 atm. Best show I've watched in years, it's just terrific.
The Inbetweeners. I know on a base level it doesn't sound intelligent or clever, but they are one of the few TV shows that actually has an accurate portrayal of teenage boys in an average state school. Beautifully done, unlike Skins...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by morematterlessartx
Misfits.

This + How I Met Your Mother and South Park :biggrin:
How i met your mother .. Funny/witty especially in flashback scenes, and somehow already passing 6 years and the 'mothers' identity still hasn't been revealed.

E.R .. Because the characters are believable, its witty and the medical side seems almost natural to the actors.
Game of Thrones
(edited 12 years ago)
Gilmore Girls!

Extremely funny, constant banter, sarcasm, references to literary characters from plays and novels as well as other fictional characters, amazing how we get to watch 'Rory' grow up, it's just one of the best TV shows ever. SO sad its over.
Reply 19
Original post by Comeheretellme
Outnumbered-though some of it is unscripted.

Being Human; starts off slowly and gets really gripping around the 3rd episode.

Gavin and Stacey-witty.

American Dad- Hilarious!

Off topic: can I ask why you have 'Possible University Applications' in your signature when you have not even finished your GCSEs?

On topic: most of the suggestions so far are dire; South Park, though it can be very hit and miss, and The Mentalist are the only decent ones. I cannot really think of any intelligent shows off the top of my head. Where comedy is concerned, everything seems to be lowbrow to a large extent.

Quick Reply

Latest