Must I have a business degree to...? Watch

MizzPoly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Must you necessarily have studied Business (or something related) to go into Business as a future career? I know my question is incredibly vague, but I'm at a point where I'm not sure where I want to go with my life and I'm afraid of making mistakes. I know I would like to own my own business one day, but how do I go about doing this and will I need a business degree to do this?

I would like to study social sciences at university, and I don't want it to hamper my opportunities in other fields like business.

Right now in terms of A-levels I'm looking at Biology, English Literature, Geography and possibly French. There is no Maths because I dislike it and know I will very likely not be able to get an A without putting in a lot of effort (at the expense of doing not-as-well in my other subjects).

Any opinions?
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Generally a degree alone will get you in to a lot of places, even if completely unrelated.

You can easily (in theory) enter a business-related job with whatever else degree.

However, a business-related degree in itself usually gives certain work placements, career links and general subject knowledge that will take them to higher areas quicker. I doubt you could get the same 'graduate placement' as a business related grad could.

But to start your own business you certainly do not need a degree. Obviously, it will help. But you could just as easily hire a consultancy firm or find a business-related degree graduate to get it going ;D
star_violet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It really depends on which area of business you want to go into. You do not need a business degree to go into business per se. But for some areas of business it's a must (eg. accounting) whereas in others it's not.
Flying Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by star_violet)
It really depends on which area of business you want to go into. You do not need a business degree to go into business per se. But for some areas of business it's a must (eg. accounting) whereas in others it's not.
lol, what? You don't need a business degree to go into accountancy!
star_violet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flying Scotsman)
In my country you need a bachelors degree before you can become a chartered accountant. But I have just checked and it seems that's not the case in the UK. However, it was just an example, there are other areas of business that would require (or be difficult to get into) without a degree and that was the point I was trying to make really...
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flying Scotsman)
He was referring to an accountancy degree, because (i assume) he assumed the OP went thw wide range of 'business degrees' which you can include accountancy in to.

And yes you do not need any degree for accountancy, but it provides great learning abilities+ exemptions from tests and such
Flying Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
He was referring to an accountancy degree, because (i assume) he assumed the OP went thw wide range of 'business degrees' which you can include accountancy in to.

And yes you do not need any degree for accountancy, but it provides great learning abilities+ exemptions from tests and such
In my experience of being an accountant it is the people with accountancy degrees and exemptions that actually end up struggling. I would actively advise against doing accountancy at uni if you wanted to become an accountant!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads