Any gamers? Int connection Watch

Joshie92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Probably an odd question...

But I'm a pretty pro gamer < don't get the stereotypical gamer/nerd image of me though, cause I'm nothing like that...But I do love my games!

What's accomodation internet connection like around the Kent Unis? If anyone also is into gaming that'd be a great insight, constant disconnects etc?

Also; if you're on Uni Accomodation, could you potentially upgrade your connection yourself by paying more?

Thanks in advance <3 :cool:
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joshie92)

But I'm a pretty pro gamer < don't get the stereotypical gamer/nerd image of me though, cause I'm nothing like that...But I do love my games!

What's accomodation internet connection like around the Kent Unis? If anyone also is into gaming that'd be a great insight, constant disconnects etc?

Also; if you're on Uni Accomodation, could you potentially upgrade your connection yourself by paying more?

I knew someone in my first year who used to game professionally and would have to go to tournaments and stuff - I think he quit doing all that when he came to uni but he did use it as his excuse to have his car kept on campus with a parking space permit.

Anyway back on topic - internet connection is fine. It's better than fine. It's incredible. Unless they decide to take it down for maintenance but they usually e-mail out before that happens and it's not very often.

I would online game all the time in first year and never had any issues with speed.

I believe they're letting people connect up their XBox Live and PS3 network things to the uni network as well now.
meloncoly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
pings are better than any ISP really, and can get 2.1mb/sec download speed
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hi

I sometimes play a few games, no issues at all. The study bedroom network is very good, I haven't come across any blocked ports for games either.

You will generally get speeds 25-30Mbps down, upload is throttled right down to about 1Mbps but that really isn't a huge issue. Not for gaming anyway. Pings hover around 5ms to most UK servers.

Flash video is throttled on the SBS network, however I haven't personally noticed it being slow or constantly buffering.

On campus PCs you can expect much higher speeds:

Not that you can really do a lot on campus PCs/wireless as it is more restricted.

(Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
I believe they're letting people connect up their XBox Live and PS3 network things to the uni network as well now.
Yes game consoles are allowed on the network, however applications must be approved and then the console manually registered. There are limited registrations available. Probably best to get in quick when you arrive if you want a console registered, otherwise you may be put on a waiting list.

Ultimately, I don't think you will have any problems with the bedroom Internet connection. The problem is when you move off campus, I've heard Canterbury's internet connections aren't too great.

If you've got any other questions about the network services, feel free to ask
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
Hi

I sometimes play a few games, no issues at all. The study bedroom network is very good, I haven't come across any blocked ports for games either.

You will generally get speeds 25-30Mbps down, upload is throttled right down to about 1Mbps but that really isn't a huge issue. Not for gaming anyway. Pings hover around 5ms to most UK servers.

Flash video is throttled on the SBS network, however I haven't personally noticed it being slow or constantly buffering.

Not that you can really do a lot on campus PCs/wireless as it is more restricted.

Yes game consoles are allowed on the network, however applications must be approved and then the console manually registered. There are limited registrations available. Probably best to get in quick when you arrive if you want a console registered, otherwise you may be put on a waiting list.

Ultimately, I don't think you will have any problems with the bedroom Internet connection. The problem is when you move off campus, I've heard Canterbury's internet connections aren't too great.

I've been with O2 the last 2 years off campus - loads better than my home broadband connect - can game fine off it
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been with O2 the last 2 years off campus - loads better than my home broadband connect - can game fine off it
Yeah I imagine they are still playable, just they aren't particularly fast in comparison to Kent uni and other areas of the country. For example, Ashford which isn't even that far away has had speeds of 50mbps+ for some time.
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
Yeah I imagine they are still playable, just they aren't particularly fast in comparison to Kent uni and other areas of the country. For example, Ashford which isn't even that far away has had speeds of 50mbps+ for some time.
Well obviously the university can afford an industrial power connection speed but I can guarantee that I've never had a lag issue yet on my broadband off campus.

Though upload/download speeds obviously aren't going to be as amazing as on campus but for the purpose of gaming then on or off campus you'll be fine.
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
Hi

Where on campus did you run that test? I ran it in my room in Eliot and I got just above 20mbps

OP in answer to your question, I agree with all of the above; the internet connection you get in your "study bedroom" really is great! Especially as it's not via the wireless network, you use an ethernet cable.
I've never tested he wireless network. I will do on wednsday when I'm back (yes I know term starts monday but I cba to go back yet :p:)
Bgreen91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hey man I'm in parkwood houses and the internet is great. I've downloaded at about 11mb/s before.

Also, although I only play the one game every now and then on my laptop, my ping varies literally from 1 - 10. Admins of servers would constantly accuse me of ping masking when I went below 5.

In answer to your question you have nothing to worry about!
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well obviously the university can afford an industrial power connection speed but I can guarantee that I've never had a lag issue yet on my broadband off campus.

Though upload/download speeds obviously aren't going to be as amazing as on campus but for the purpose of gaming then on or off campus you'll be fine.
Yes, most connections unless you get stupidly low speeds should be able to cope. When you are in a shared house and all 5+ of you are on the Internet, perhaps some watching flash video you may run into lag issues just like any general ADSL connection. Of course you can use QoS on routers to slow down flash video etc

(Original post by Loz17)
Where on campus did you run that test? I ran it in my room in Eliot and I got just above 20mbps
As said its on a campus student PC which is a different network to Study Bedroom Service, I think it was in Cornwallis.
You probably won't get far above 30mbps in study bedrooms, but that is more than enough!
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
Yes, most connections unless you get stupidly low speeds should be able to cope. When you are in a shared house and all 5+ of you are on the Internet, perhaps some watching flash video you may run into lag issues just like any general ADSL connection. Of course you can use QoS on routers to slow down flash video etc
Or only have 3 housemates, one of whom is never in
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Or only have 3 housemates, one of whom is never in
Heh, I have another CompSci student in my house next year. Hope our 'net connection can stand up to it
LadySmythe
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
As said its on a campus student PC which is a different network to Study Bedroom Service, I think it was in Cornwallis.
You probably won't get far above 30mbps in study bedrooms, but that is more than enough!
Ahh Cornwallis. Says it all really :p:
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
Ahh Cornwallis. Says it all really :p:
You can probably get similar speeds in the library.
LadySmythe
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
You can probably get similar speeds in the library.
Seeing as it shall be my 2nd home as of wednesday, I'll test then :p:
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
Seeing as it shall be my 2nd home as of wednesday, I'll test then :p:
Heh good luck. I can only see the library being extremely busy over this term, it was surprisingly busy during the vacation.
LadySmythe
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xno-)
Heh good luck. I can only see the library being extremely busy over this term, it was surprisingly busy during the vacation.
I'm going in at 9am every day and not moving! I can't revise in my room. Eliot is just too busy
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Loz17)
I'm going in at 9am every day and not moving! I can't revise in my room. Eliot is just too busy
Haha, good plan. I have 8 exams ahead of me, I can't wait until the 15th of June!
unkle-sam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was in Darwin Houses last year and was constantly downloading at around 10Mbs. Loved it. Beats the 8mbit connection i get off campus
Nav87
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I graduated from UKC last year but while i was there i can say that their oncampus internet connection was and will probably be one of the best you will get in all of the UK uni's - this is because they host one of the main backbones in the UK (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_backbone) - An example of this is i play abit of CS and my ping's on UK servers would usually never exceed 8. and go as low as 2-3.

Dorm room connections for the best of my knowledge were capped but this (unless you wish to download files at superspeeds) shouldnt effect your (your ping) - there were ways to get around this and achieve uncapped speeds but nothing i would condone ofcourse and thats not a conversation for here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads