LA Noire Qs about pre-ordering, prices and what's best value (edit: lesson learned) Watch

nonotrly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This consists of a couple of questions:

1) How much do you think the DLC for the two pre-ordered exclusive cases will be each on Xbox Live? 800 points/£6.80? 1,200 points/£10.20?

2) It's currently available at £32 - £35 without exclusives. Will the price go down when it's released, or is it too big a game to have a price drop to, say, £29.99? Could it in fact go up to £39.99? Pre-owned or new.

Thanks!

EDIT: Well well well. ALL LA Noire pre-order DLC available for 800 points (£6.80ish) on Xbox 360 or £7.19 on PS3. The game itself is currently available at £29 from Asda Direct or around £20 on Ebay.

Once again, people got BURNED!

Guess I'm buying the pass first and the actual game later. >_>

EDIT2: Just bought it on Ebay for £21.99, and all the DLCs and the two upcoming cases all for 800 points/£6.80. £27.79 is quite a saving on £46.79. ^_^

Aw, no-one cares. Pft, fine.
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think there is always a chance a game might be cheaper after release. Look at Modern Warfare 2 as an example, it was going for £17 in either Tesco's or Sainsbury's stores! The pre-order bonus missions will almost certainly be rubbish, half an hour extra tops in a game likely to be long enough not to notice it. They obviously won't be integral to the plot or else they would have to be included in the game everyone else is getting! If you aren't that bothered, I would recommend that you wait until release and either get it cheaper or pay the same price.

Oh, and I doubt that they will be released as DLC, unless it is some kind of mission pack or similar, I think they will be too small to merit DLC. Look at Rockstar's DLC for GTA IV, 2 expansions that together had more content than the majority of current games, I can't imagine them putting a couple of piddly extra missions up for 400 points or thereabouts!

Hope this helps (And do remember that I might be utterly wrong I haven't been following L.A Noire myself)
nonotrly
Rep:
?
(Original post by tface)
I think there is always a chance a game might be cheaper after release. Look at Modern Warfare 2 as an example, it was going for £17 in either Tesco's or Sainsbury's stores! The pre-order bonus missions will almost certainly be rubbish, half an hour extra tops in a game likely to be long enough not to notice it. They obviously won't be integral to the plot or else they would have to be included in the game everyone else is getting! If you aren't that bothered, I would recommend that you wait until release and either get it cheaper or pay the same price.

Oh, and I doubt that they will be released as DLC, unless it is some kind of mission pack or similar, I think they will be too small to merit DLC. Look at Rockstar's DLC for GTA IV, 2 expansions that together had more content than the majority of current games, I can't imagine them putting a couple of piddly extra missions up for 400 points or thereabouts!

Hope this helps (And do remember that I might be utterly wrong I haven't been following L.A Noire myself)
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if there are any games that have DLC worth getting. GTA IV's were obviously portrayed as separate games, but other than that Saints Row II's were deemed too short, L4D2's are too short again and tend to have unfavourable views (particularly with Valve getting pretty lazy) and Assassin's Creed II's were missable, although there's nothing wrong with mini-epic sword battles.

They are all actually going to be released as DLC, Rockstar said it on their website. They're doing it for Red Dead Redemption's pre-order 'exclusives'. I think it took them longer than they thought it would, but it's finally coming out in April according to them. Considering it's May, I assume it's out now or been delayed further.

If anyone cares about a gun being coloured gold.
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nonotrly)
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if there are any games that have DLC worth getting. GTA IV's were obviously portrayed as separate games, but other than that Saints Row II's were deemed too short, L4D2's are too short again and tend to have unfavourable views (particularly with Valve getting pretty lazy) and Assassin's Creed II's were missable, although there's nothing wrong with mini-epic sword battles.

They are all actually going to be released as DLC, Rockstar said it on their website. They're doing it for Red Dead Redemption's pre-order 'exclusives'. I think it took them longer than they thought it would, but it's finally coming out in April according to them. Considering it's May, I assume it's out now or been delayed further.

If anyone cares about a gun being coloured gold.
The worst guns in the game too Ah, I didn't realise they had said that. Oblivion and Fallout and RDR all have some good DLC Oh and Mass Effect 2, as well. I suppose a lot of people would say map packs for shooters are good, but apart from BC2 Vietnam (even though I don't have that game) they are a little expensive!
nonotrly
Rep:
?
Anyone else? At this point normally I'd wait until it's released, but I wouldn't want to find out that everywhere's selling it at £39.99 or there's no online codes for it when it's too late.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1) Games don't tend to drop in price significantly until a few months after release, unless it gets panned or Christmas comes along. Highly anticipated games can stay at the same price for over 6 months outside of pre-owned copies.

2) Considering standard pricing for most decent length DLC releases is 800-1200 Microsoft Points (£7-£10), it can be cheaper to buy the game on release and get it free than buying the game cheap and then paying for DLC. I don't know how large/long LA Noir DLC pieces are going to be, but if it's anything like the DLC in RockStar's other titles, it may retail for this price too. If it's just different coloured guns or extra costumes, I wouldn't deem them worth it.

Or is it likely these bonus cases will be two hours of "meh", as seems to be the case with DLC?
Rockstar usually make great DLC. Virtually everything they released for Red Dead Redemption was bloody terrific, and most of the released on GTA IV also received high praise.
nonotrly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
1) Games don't tend to drop in price significantly until a few months after release, unless it gets panned or Christmas comes along. Highly anticipated games can stay at the same price for over 6 months outside of pre-owned copies.

2) Considering standard pricing for most decent length DLC releases is 800-1200 Microsoft Points (£7-£10), it can be cheaper to buy the game on release and get it free than buying the game cheap and then paying for DLC. I don't know how large/long LA Noir DLC pieces are going to be, but if it's anything like the DLC in RockStar's other titles, it may retail for this price too. If it's just different coloured guns or extra costumes, I wouldn't deem them worth it.

Rockstar usually make great DLC. Virtually everything they released for Red Dead Redemption was bloody terrific, and most of the released on GTA IV also received high praise.
How much do pre-owned new games tend to go for? I think I recall it's basically treated as new at £34.99 or £39.99

I don't believe the pre-owned exclusives will be released stand-alone, because they're just two cases/missions.
nonotrly
Rep:
?
Well well well. ALL LA Noire pre-order DLC available for 800 points (£6.80ish) on Xbox 360 or £7.19 on PS3. The game itself is currently available at £29 from Asda Direct or around £20 on Ebay.

Once again, people got BURNED!

Guess I'm buying the pass first and the actual game later. >_>
nonotrly
Rep:
?
Just bought it on Ebay for £21.99, and all the DLCs and the two upcoming cases all for 800 points/£6.80. £27.79 is quite a saving on £46.79. ^_^

Aw, no-one cares. Pft, fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads