Countries you were disappointed about Watch

FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Have you had any negative experiences travelling abroad? If so, what happened?
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
None so far. Except I had lots of creepers flirting with me in Egypt and Jordan which was worrying. (Not bragging, I was genuinely creeped out.)

Having said that, in Jordan they were pretty friendly. Egypt, not so much.
RahRah09
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Harry Potter Land at Universal.
Paul McCartney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Guam. Such a small country, and there wasn't really anything to do
LaughingBro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
England.
Rob da Mop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spain didn't understand a) the concept of wanting things to entertain oneself with on a campsite (eg. swimming pool, table tennis, childrens playground) or b) the idea of service in a resteraunt. Quite nice food, but the staff were surly and seemed to regard problems within the kitchen as our fault.
4TSR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dubai - Has no culture, no history and it's just hot and the only thing worth seeing was the nice buildings.....
Tesphena
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I travelled to France in the hope of dispelling the myth that French people are surly, arrogant, and offish. I failed.

Having said that, they didn't smell. So that's one thing.
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Turkey, beautiful place but they seemed rude over there. Plus I got food poisoning from the hotel restaurant and spent two days in my hotel room throwing up and needing the toilet constantly, I couldn't keep anything down, not even water.

Didn't help when I watched watchdog a few months later and saw our hotel was on the programme due to complaints about really bad hygiene in the kitchens and how hundreds of people had ended up with food poisoning.

But then I did get to say 'I told you I didn't overeat.' to my mum because she didn't believe that I had food poisoning despite being so sick.
AspiringGenius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xEndeavors)
Guam. Such a small country, and there wasn't really anything to do
Guam isn't really a country. But still, I bet it was absolutely beautiful?
Paul McCartney
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AspiringGenius)
Guam isn't really a country. But still, I bet it was absolutely beautiful?
Yes, very beautiful
AspiringGenius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Italy, or more for that fact Rome. We went a few years ago and it was dirty, congested and the landmarks were poorly maintained and cost money to go into.

Were not Christian but we found the Vatican a really impressive place, well kept, had lots of history. We spent three occasions there, first we saw St Peters which was amazing. Then we went to the Sistene Chapel, which also gave way to the Vatican museum and artefacts. Then, finally we went to Sunday Mass and saw Pope Benedict XVI.

Ok, well that was sort of irrelevant. But it is incredible that my biggest surprise and disappointment were both in one city!
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know it isn't a country, but I was thoroughly disappointed with New York.

As far as entire countries go, then probably France.
Smilingsam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
France more specific Disneyland paris, was full of german got nothing against germans. However they were very disrespectful and always moaned if you asked them anything. Also the british/uk residents there were the only ones that are ever helpful.

We were on a coach on the way back to the airport and it was full of greeks, germans, french, spanish and other nationalities. They took up 2 seats to every one person we almost had to sit/stand in the middle of the aisle however uk residents actually moved around and helped us get seats we didn't ask them to. They were the only kind people on the coach.

Edit: Grow up the people who negged me seriously if you have an opinion say so, im just telling the truth here.
EDit2:What is wrong with that seriously ?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to a part of Spain that I can't spell right now (lol) because my Auntie and Uncle have a property there and let us stay in it. But it wasn't remotely tourist-y, and nobody spoke English.. and we hardly spoke any Spanish, so the whole holiday was just stress from beginning to end, and we couldn't eat out anywhere as my brother has a peanut allergy and we had no way to be sure of what he was eating. Horrible.

But I love Spain as a country- we went back with my Auntie who is fluent, and it was sooo much better!!
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bratislava.. it was dead and we hopped back on a train and left pretty much straight away.

And, controversially.. Thailand. I'd been to Fiji a few years before, so when I went to the Thai beaches I found them so overdeveloped and just boring. I loved Bangkok though.
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Last year we did a tour of Europe and it was massively disappointing. All the cities looked the same. All had the same H&M on the high street and naff cafes. Really really massive waste of money. Not going back to Europe any time soon!
edward_wells90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 4TSR)
Dubai - Has no culture, no history and it's just hot and the only thing worth seeing was the nice buildings.....
Just the way I like it.
Bezzler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not a country, but I was disappointed with Milan when I went. Very little of interest to do and it was very overpriced, and the people were much ruder than other parts of Italy I've been to.
soy_david
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
New Zealand. 24 hours on a plane to end up back in Wales. In the 1980s.

Catalonia, Barcelona excepted, is the anti-Spain. No sense of fun, super-conservative, take themselves far too seriously and bore you constantly with their talk of independence which they'll never do anything about because they're so conservative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads