Some advice before May 5th deadline, degree type, entry to CA Watch

Brumski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Throughout school I have always intended on going to University to learn how to create software and hardware.

In my final year at school now, in Scotland, almost completed my Higher Accounting class and I have loved it. I am quite frankly brilliant at it.

The idea of becoming a CA with one of the Big 4 is very appealing to me as it seems like a more secure job than a Software Engineer.

I cannot decide between the two. But what I was wondering is, would it be wise to go do my degree in Electronic and Software Engineering if I knew I was going to apply to one of the Big 4 and become a CA anyway afterwards?

Part of me likes the idea of doing something different for 4 years before becoming an Accountant, but then part of me says that is a waste of 4 years.

I need to decide by Thursday May 5th at 6pm.

I have been trying to decide all year.

Help me please.
Kemik
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your degree makes no difference to your application other than the question of "why did you do that degree? are you motivated to become an accountant?" will be asked. You'll also miss out on some exemptions.
Brumski
Rep:
?
So it really would be a slight waste of time? I know it would get me 5 exemptions, for becoming a Scottish CA.

I wouldn't be too disadvantaged then by doing engineering? Obviously this is at a much simpler level, but I am able to prepare Manufacturing, Trading, Profit and Loss accounts (with an appropriations section and balance sheet) for limited companies, partnerships, non profit making organisations. Aswell as being able to perform well in break even analysis/decision making/service and process costing/ ratio analysis etc

Anyone here done an Accounting degree and then went on to achieve their ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc? How useful was your 3 or 4 year degree in terms of the work at your firm?
Kemik
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brumski)
So it really would be a slight waste of time? I know it would get me 5 exemptions, for becoming a Scottish CA.

I wouldn't be too disadvantaged then by doing engineering? Obviously this is at a much simpler level, but I am able to prepare Manufacturing, Trading, Profit and Loss accounts (with an appropriations section and balance sheet) for limited companies, partnerships, non profit making organisations. Aswell as being able to perform well in break even analysis/decision making/service and process costing/ ratio analysis etc

Anyone here done an Accounting degree and then went on to achieve their ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc? How useful was your 3 or 4 year degree in terms of the work at your firm?
Do the degree you're going to enjoy most. The TC exams (that you'd get exemptions for if you went to the correct University) are fairly straight forward.
Brumski
Rep:
?
So I have came as close to a decision as I will. Electronic and Software Engineering then if I am still interested, apply to the "Big 4". Sorted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
37.98%
No - but I will (53)
7.24%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (348)
47.54%

Watched Threads