Simple questions about A-levels Watch

MizzPoly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi!

I was wondering how A-levels are normally prepared in the classroom setting. I'm studying all my A-levels from abroad so a lot about how I'm supposed to go about preparing for the exam is very vague to me as an international student.

Aside from doing a lot of past papers, is there anything else one can do to prepare for the exam? Does your course tutor give out mock exams with questions lifted from past AS/A2 exams? Or does he make his own term exams that test your knowledge but the result of which does not count towards your final mark in the A-level?

Finally, where do I go to find the past papers from 2008 and prior? How far back can I go until the exams are no longer relevant to what is currently being tested this year? (like 1995!?) I am doing edexcel biology AS and the papers that I can view on the edexcel website are from post 2008 only.

Thanks so much in advance!
laura_802
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its probably I good idea to know the assessment objectives inside out, and know exactly whats required of you in each exam. And then as you said do as many past papers as possible. From there you can highlight your weaker areas and focus on those.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The specification is your best friend. Once you feel you know enough about every point on the syllabus, you then move on to past papers - you'll soon spot how marks are awarded and how you should be answering questions to maximise the marks you gain while minimising the 'fluff' content you need to write.
MizzPoly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Great, thanks!
But where do I go to find as many past papers as possible? Will I have to pay for access? Which websites?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise