AMD Radeon 6950 1GB 830MHz or 6950 2GB 800MHz? Watch

neon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Got a question about the graphics cards. I know I won't 'need' the 2gb card over the 1gb card but I have read that you can unlock and overclock the 2gb 6950 to run pretty much the same as the 6970. This seems like a good deal to me, However, I have also read that core clock speed is more important than memory and the 1gb has 830MHz whereas the 2gb has 800MHz.

Basically I want to know if it is worth sacrificing the 30MHz for the added power in overclocking? Also, the 1gb has dual fans whereas the 2gb only has a single fan, but I'm not hugely bothered about noise; am bothered as to whether the card will overheat though.

The cards I am comparing are: XFX HD 6950 ATI AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB and the XFX HD 6950 XXX Dual Fan ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB

Thanks

scratch that, unlockable
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its not just 30mhz core speed, its got 200mhz more on the memory and much better cooling on the 1gb model.

its a really good Gpu take a look: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...950_1GB/7.html

its only weakness is the 2gb version will be better at 2560 x 1600 and using eyeinfinity, but for res's up to 1920 x 1080 ( full hd ) the 1gb xfx version is faster than the 2gb models because of its higher clock speeds
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (343)
37.82%
No - but I will (72)
7.94%
No - I don't want to (64)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise