Titration - what goes where? Watch

ma3arf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi.

I'm a bit confused.

Does the acid always go in the burette? Even if it's of known concentration?
Because usually I've seen titrations to know the concentration of an acid, but in this question we already knew the concentration, and the acid still goes in the burette.

Thanks.
Iaink
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
AFAIK you always put the known concentration in the burette, so you can calculate how many moles reacted with the (25ml) of unknown
ma3arf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Iaink)
AFAIK you always put the known concentration in the burette, so you can calculate how many moles reacted with the (25ml) of unknown
In the book they added 25 cm3 of standard solution (known concentration), sodium carbonate, into the pipette then the conical flask, not the burette. They put the hydrochloric acid of unknown concentration into the burette.
I want to know if this is always the case, known in pipette/conical flask, unknown in burette, or acid in burette, alkaline in conical flask? >,<
Plato's Trousers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ma3arf)
In the book they added 25 cm3 of standard solution (known concentration), sodium carbonate, into the pipette then the conical flask, not the burette. They put the hydrochloric acid of unknown concentration into the burette.
I want to know if this is always the case, known in pipette/conical flask, unknown in burette, or acid in burette, alkaline in conical flask? >,<
It actually doesn't really matter which you put in the burette and which in the flask. Since both volumes are accurately known anyway (the titre in the first case, and the standard pipetted aliquot in the second case).

But usually, in school practicals you would put the known concentration in the burette and the unknown in the flask.

It's a matter of convenience really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (325)
37.49%
No - but I will (68)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (412)
47.52%

Watched Threads