The Student Room Group

Titration - what goes where?

Hi.

I'm a bit confused.

Does the acid always go in the burette? Even if it's of known concentration?
Because usually I've seen titrations to know the concentration of an acid, but in this question we already knew the concentration, and the acid still goes in the burette.

Thanks.
Reply 1
AFAIK you always put the known concentration in the burette, so you can calculate how many moles reacted with the (25ml) of unknown
Reply 2
Original post by Iaink

Original post by Iaink
AFAIK you always put the known concentration in the burette, so you can calculate how many moles reacted with the (25ml) of unknown

In the book they added 25 cm3 of standard solution (known concentration), sodium carbonate, into the pipette then the conical flask, not the burette. They put the hydrochloric acid of unknown concentration into the burette.
I want to know if this is always the case, known in pipette/conical flask, unknown in burette, or acid in burette, alkaline in conical flask? >,<
Original post by ma3arf
In the book they added 25 cm3 of standard solution (known concentration), sodium carbonate, into the pipette then the conical flask, not the burette. They put the hydrochloric acid of unknown concentration into the burette.
I want to know if this is always the case, known in pipette/conical flask, unknown in burette, or acid in burette, alkaline in conical flask? >,<

It actually doesn't really matter which you put in the burette and which in the flask. Since both volumes are accurately known anyway (the titre in the first case, and the standard pipetted aliquot in the second case).

But usually, in school practicals you would put the known concentration in the burette and the unknown in the flask.

It's a matter of convenience really.

Quick Reply

Latest