Given up on exams before they've even started Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Has anyone else really lost motivation for their exams?

I don't understand it- I just can't seem to revise. I'm always too tired even after a good night's sleep. I sit down then get nothing done- I end up worrying too much about university (I didn't get into the medical school I'd hoped to and to be honest, I didn't really want to go anywhere but there- it would have been a new country, new start, amazing town, great course etc and I seem to have lost motivation for going to the local university). Most of the time, I don't even feel like going at all anymore.

I have 11 exams and therefore a huge amount of work to do but I'm not making progress- certainly not enough to do as well in the exams as I need to.

My immune system seems to ever so kindly be taking everything that's going even though I used to never be sick until about a month ago. I'm being tested because of a growing thyroid nodule too among many blood tests for other things- gp and hospital appointments are really putting a big dent in revision time. I don't have time for it but my mum won't let me miss the appointments which I suppose is understandable.

Exams start next week and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Either I'm weak and dizzy or I have a sore throat and cold- it doesn't seem to go away. I can't concentrate- most of the time, trying to read or write something makes my head hurt or things go blurry- tried mentioning this to the doctor but I've just been getting a scan then blood test after blood test but no actual help. It's stressing me out a lot because I'd always been a good student and will be expected to do well this year again but I just know I won't. With the increase in fees, I really can't afford to take a gap year.

Anyone else in the same position? Or any advice?

Thanks for reading and sorry for complaining
DH-Biker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You've got to separate revision with other activities.

For example, I go biking. It clears my head, its my favorite thing to do and when I get home I sit down and do an hour's worth of revision.

Admitedly, my Exams don't mean as much as I'm not going to Uni as you're aiming too, and so my word only goes so far.

But in any case, its important to have a clear head before you sit down and do it.

Doing it whilst tired is a waste of time, and trying to do it feeling ill is also a waste. Take a break for a day, go out for a long walk, clear your head and listen to music; then come back and try it again.

That's all I can suggest.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by DH-Biker)
You've got to separate revision with other activities.

For example, I go biking. It clears my head, its my favorite thing to do and when I get home I sit down and do an hour's worth of revision.

Admitedly, my Exams don't mean as much as I'm not going to Uni as you're aiming too, and so my word only goes so far.

But in any case, its important to have a clear head before you sit down and do it.

Doing it whilst tired is a waste of time, and trying to do it feeling ill is also a waste. Take a break for a day, go out for a long walk, clear your head and listen to music; then come back and try it again.

That's all I can suggest.
Thanks for the advice- I'd like to take a day or even a couple of hours off but I've been doing that over Easter and am still just as tired when I go back (but I spend the time off feeling guilty for not revising anyway ) I don't have time to do that anymore since the exams are so soon- they're all clumped together which is part of the problem.

Thanks anyway though and good luck with your exams
Emmie3303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Break everything down into small chunks. If all you can think about is the enormity of what you have to do then you won't be able to concentrate properly on the task at hand and you will feel more stressed about everything. If you work out what parts of your revision are essential and which are just desirable and then focus on getting the essential parts done you might feel better about everything .

You should also ask yourself whether you truly want to go to university. Try and forget about the fees increase. If nothing had changed would you decline the offers you have and take a gap year or would you push on ahead anyway?
SQ918
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
DO NOT GIVE UP! Believe in yourself!

I am just like you! Sometimes I don't get enough sleep during exams but I passed all my January AS Exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.73%
No - but I will (104)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.75%

Watched Threads