Anyone been to India? Going on holiday next month Watch

fhatthewuck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What's it like? Is it really as hot,smelly, dirty as people say it is? Are the people unfriendly and rude? Are there good hotels, places to see?
kalaghoda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fhatthewuck)
What's it like? Is it really as hot,smelly, dirty as people say it is? Are the people unfriendly and rude? Are there good hotels, places to see?
I live there. It's ****.
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

yhh i've been there
it is smelly and dirty but the people are not that unfriendly or rude
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just came back from India last Friday. Went to Delhi and around. It is in fact quite hot there. Not as hot as some other places, but temperatures usually range between 37 - 42 degrees during the day. You need air conditioning in your hotel and car. Make sure whenever you travel in a taxi you have ac in it. Otherwise go on the rikshas, cycle rikshas, etc. People are not really rude, but as a British you might think so as they are less civilised. The streets are overcrowded with all sorts of vehicles, some of them you have never seen before.

Go to the following places:

Delhi: Lotus Temple, Akshardham, Jama Masjid, Kutub Minar, Red Fort, India Gate, Humayun's Tomb
Agra: Taj Mahal, Agra Fort

The distances aren't that long between cities, but the roads are very bad, so from Delhi to Agra (~200km) took us almost 5 hours. It really depends where in India you are going. It's so massive. If you go Mumbai, it would take you 16 hours by train to get to Delhi and vice versa. And Mumbai is not even half way through India. Calcutta for example is 1500km away from Delhi and Kerala even 2800km.

So, have a good time, make sure you get injections (ask your doctor which ones you'll need). Don't ever drink water from the tap (only bottled one not even filtered) and enjoy yourself.
greengrapes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depends really cos everyone will just stare at you especially if your a girl, it does smell and is very humid and hot but you will get used to it and also take mosquito repellent there the most irritating thing out there. enjoy your holiday
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sure, it's hot, full of smells both good and bad, people stare at you especially if you're female, and there's a lot of poverty and dirt. But it's also (IMO) very exciting and beautiful and full of history and culture, and also has some wonderful national parks and beaches. Lots of artisans and craftsmanship around if you like that. Oh, and if you like Indian food here then the cuisine in actual India should blow your mind.

It is a very large country though obviously so I really wouldn't try to see too much in one visit.
fhatthewuck
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Sure, it's hot, full of smells both good and bad, people stare at you especially if you're female, and there's a lot of poverty and dirt. But it's also (IMO) very exciting and beautiful and full of history and culture, and also has some wonderful national parks and beaches. Lots of artisans and craftsmanship around if you like that. Oh, and if you like Indian food here then the cuisine in actual India should blow your mind.

It is a very large country though obviously so I really wouldn't try to see too much in one visit.
What are the people like?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What are the people like?
Friendly as a whole, though if you're female you'll probably find the staring a bit unnerving (I did, anyway). The shopkeepers can hassle you quite a lot, but you get that in many Asian other countries too, and in any case you also get guys chatting to you who are just friendly, no ulterior motive aside from maybe practising their English, wanting to talk to you about where you come from and your thoughts on India etc.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to India (Kerala and Tamil Nadu) twice.

Yes, it's hot and noisy, and a little bit smelly and dusty, but it also has some great beaches and the towns and really interesting. It's a great place to pick up some souvenirs and see some wildlife too (although I wouldn't bother trying to see wild tigers - many of the tiger reserves are reported to not actually contain any tigers), whilst being really cheap

The people are generally quite friendly, although I was berated by one woman in rapid Malayalam for only wearing one anklet (bad luck apparently) - but another friendly local came over and translated when he saw us looking bemused!

Downsides? If you're female, you're likely to get a lot of stares, men asking to have their picture taken with you etc. Google 'eve-teasing'.
source
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well depends on how open you are to new things and culture.

They aren't rude, but there are good and bad everywhere, so up to you.

I would be very careful on drinking water from anywhere BUT A KNOWN brand of bottled water (make sure the bottle comes sealed!)

its easy to get ill when there as your not used to the weather and stuff
theseeker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

(Original post by kalaghoda)
I live there. It's ****.

(Original post by surina_xxx)
yhh i've been there
it is smelly and dirty but the people are not that unfriendly or rude
I think it really depends on where you stay. I stayed here. http://www.tajhotels.com/Palace/The%...AI/default.htm

Depends on the area. Not all areas are disgusting.
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm Indian and I agree with everything said above.

OP what I would say to you is go with an open mind, take things in your stride and take them on as just experiences. India is very different from the UK and if you allow things to get to you you will be miserable and very homesick on your holiday. If nothing else, going to India may give you a bit of perspective on how other people live and may make you feel very grateful for being born in the UK.

Hope you have a great time
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Walk around in a Victorian army uniform demanding everyone get you a cup of tea. You'll have a blast.
the greatest
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im part indian and lived there for 4 years of my life!

Hot? By all means certainly, especially if you go in the summer, where some places can easily reach 120 F.
Smelly? Yes some places, Agra I found smelly but, it varies, not the smelliness, but the smell factor
(Same goes for dirty, Old Delhi, Agra and Slums are all dirty from what ive come across)

I may be biased, but im sure people will back my statement, that in general, Indians are some of the most wholesome and friendly people to come across! Regardless of richness, race, sex etc

Hotels? India is famous for some extravagant hotels, quite alot, espeically in Bombay and Rajasthan (heres a link if you're not afraid to spend)

http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_udaivilas/index.asp
G550NDH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Iv been there every year for the past 7 years. Went to Goa last year to volunteer and then after than Delhi. It really depends where you go. Lots of poverty but also youll see lots of rich people in the bigger cities. The gap in inequality is ridiculous. There are beautiful beaches, buildings. I lived in a camp full of volunteers in Goa who were all white. Youll get lots of people staring at you esp if you are a female. At night always go with a mate or mates when walking around. India can be a dodgy place if you are by yourself. But overall its a beautiful country. Just be careful and enjoy your holiday
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I could write plenty of advice, but this is all you need. Possibly the greatest travel website on the internet:

http://www.indiamike.com/
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by history-student)
walk around in a victorian army uniform demanding everyone get you a cup of tea. You'll have a blast.
trololololol
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehforum)
trololololol
Did you intentionally de-capitalise my username in that quote? Why?

Also learn the difference between a making a **** joke and trolling. I was doing the former.
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by History-Student)
Did you intentionally de-capitalise my username in that quote? Why?

Also learn the difference between a making a **** joke and trolling. I was doing the former.
Why are you obsessing over the de-capitalisation of your name?

It got de-capitalised because my whole post was in caps, therefore it automatically my post in all lowercase.
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehforum)
Why are you obsessing over the de-capitalisation of your name?

It got de-capitalised because my whole post was in caps, therefore it automatically my post in all lowercase.
Because my name's not history-student, it's History-Student. Changing the capitals is a deeply offensive act in my culture, and if you'd done it on purpose I'd have to do something very unpleasant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads