The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Geography unit 4: Geographical Research

The pre release was out today with an insight to what is going to be in the exam.
In particular i am looking at option 4: the world of cultural diversity which is
Explore the concept of cultural diversity and varying views about globalisation's impact on cultures and their diversity
Research the contrasting influences of globalisation on cultural diversity at a range of locations and scales.
With globalisation being the key aspect to this what are your thoughts about it and case studies for support.
Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's not a bad topic tbh, you can talk all about americanisation or as my teacher likes to call it "McDonaldsisation" :P. Also the diminishing of local cultures as the world becomes more like the West.

I myself am doing the cold environments topic which is on periglaciation...not a bad topic again...just talking about ice freezing and thawing mostly :wink:.
Reply 2
I'm doing food and famine - mostly focused on desertification... not bad.
Reply 3
What is the food and famine steer? Our teacher hasn't released it to us yet :/
Reply 4
Ignore my last post - if anyone needs the steer for whatever reason, here's the link.
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/CPS/GCE%20from%202008/W38859A%20GCE%20Geography%206GE04%20ADV%20INFO%20June%202011.pdf
Reply 5
Original post by Cermo
I'm doing food and famine - mostly focused on desertification... not bad.

I am doing food and famine, for me its like the worst of the enquiry questions cos it is the one I don't really get. You know in the pre-release it talks about processes leading to food insecurity is it talking about like salinisation and desertification (I can't really think of any others) or do you think it is like including human reasons in "processes"?
Reply 6
Original post by Livy123
I am doing food and famine, for me its like the worst of the enquiry questions cos it is the one I don't really get. You know in the pre-release it talks about processes leading to food insecurity is it talking about like salinisation and desertification (I can't really think of any others) or do you think it is like including human reasons in "processes"?

I think because it mentions desertification as one of the processes, that will be what the question is focused around. But i think it's worth learning all the processes leading to food insecurity - human and physical.

Physical would be things like drought, salinisation, high winds/dust storms, hot climate etc.

Human would be things like overcultivation, trampling, ignoring of fallow periods, improper farming techniques etc
Reply 7
Original post by Cermo
I think because it mentions desertification as one of the processes, that will be what the question is focused around. But i think it's worth learning all the processes leading to food insecurity - human and physical.

Physical would be things like drought, salinisation, high winds/dust storms, hot climate etc.

Human would be things like overcultivation, trampling, ignoring of fallow periods, improper farming techniques etc

Thats really helpful, thanks so much! :smile: :smile:
Reply 8
anyone doing the tectonics one ?
Reply 9
Original post by FF-

Yep I am, I don't think it's too bad but it is quite open. What do you think?
Reply 10
Hey, I'm doing human health and pollution. It's good that it's on causes which is easily the nicest section of the spec, but I'm worried about how open it is. I'm predicting some question like 'Discuss to what extent human and physical factors influence health risk' which would be nice and pretty easy but SO broad.

On the issue of pollution, I'd still include it in your revision because pollution can be classed as an environmental factor. I'm kind of stuck now, not sure what to do next. I guess I'll try and think of case studies with specific human or physical causes and then some examples that combine the two.

Is any one else doing this unit, and if so how are you going to revise now??? Oh and good luck everyone!
Reply 11
Original post by FF-

Tectonics for me! really open the question will be something like ... “Using named examples explain the factors that lead to tectonic hazards producing impacts on different scales around the world”
Reply 12
Original post by ben05
Tectonics for me! really open the question will be something like ... “Using named examples explain the factors that lead to tectonic hazards producing impacts on different scales around the world”

I agree, the pre-release seems like a good one, causes and impacts are the easiest areas of the sylabus. The word 'diasaster' may also prove key here, such as: 'What are the factors that lead a tectonic hazard to become a disaster, and how do these impacts vary in scale in contrasting locations?'.

However, it may not be an open-ended question, it may mention a single factor, with 'discuss' at the end to lure people into the trap of only mentioning that factor, e.g: 'Tectonic hazards are more likely to become greater scale disasters in regions of the world close to plate boundaries. Discuss.'

All speculation mind be prepared for anything in this exam!
Reply 13
any one else doing culture?
Reply 14
Original post by Grahim99
any one else doing culture?

Yep, quite pleased with it. Our teacher said don't look over the environment bit (Enquiry Question 4) which is good because we didn't learn it.

I don't know if you use the Edexcel A2 Textbook but tables 12.5 and 12.7 will be useful I think, they're in the culture section (Chapter 12) and they're the ones about hyperglobalisers, transformationalists and sceptics, and then westernisation, global mixing, cultural layers and glocalisation.

Case studies which spring to mind are:

Japan - a homogenous society

China in Tibet

Americanisation/McDonaldisation

UK and France immigration tightening

The Amish

UNESCO (protecting cultures)

China westernising as it develops

The Media - i.e. BBC and CNN, and the internet, spreading a global culture

TNCs and NGOs - particularly TNCs and their power (E.g. Coca Cola)

Masai, Maori, and other tribes trying to stay traditional to bring tourism

Local British cultures i.e. Yorkshire

Hope these help culture people!

Please list more case studies if anyone has any they will help us all :smile:

Whats everyone going to do with regard to planning? I'm going to define culture, cultural diversity and globalisation and then some others :smile:
Reply 15
Hey I'm doing the tectonics one, is it best to revise some theory from 'what are tectonic hazards' and 'human impacts' section
and get three good case studies for both earthquakes and volcanoes? :s-smilie:
Pretty confused tbh... i did one in January but didn't do as well so I would like some advice on writing reports!
Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by a.nk
Hey, I'm doing human health and pollution. It's good that it's on causes which is easily the nicest section of the spec, but I'm worried about how open it is. I'm predicting some question like 'Discuss to what extent human and physical factors influence health risk' which would be nice and pretty easy but SO broad.

On the issue of pollution, I'd still include it in your revision because pollution can be classed as an environmental factor. I'm kind of stuck now, not sure what to do next. I guess I'll try and think of case studies with specific human or physical causes and then some examples that combine the two.

Is any one else doing this unit, and if so how are you going to revise now??? Oh and good luck everyone!

Hi

I am resisting this exam and I am doing Human health and pollution. I was thinking that the areas that are going to be covered are the diffusion models, Geographical links to disease and the OMRAM Model.

Any other areas you think we need to look at? Going to be looking at it in class next so will have more to say then.

Ben
Reply 17
Original post by a.nk

Hey i'm doing pollution too. It says get a examples at a 'range of locations' my teacher suggested doing local, national and global but I was wondering if this would be too hard to try fit in specific transport, environment and 'other' case studies I was also thinking of doing MEDCs vs LEDCs but not sure which to choose and not sure if i'm looking too deeply into varying location! A bit stressed have you though about this bit yet?
Reply 18
Yay I'm doing cold environments...thrilling physical geography of pingos and permafrost.
Reply 19
Original post by taxatoon
Hey i'm doing pollution too. It says get a examples at a 'range of locations' my teacher suggested doing local, national and global but I was wondering if this would be too hard to try fit in specific transport, environment and 'other' case studies I was also thinking of doing MEDCs vs LEDCs but not sure which to choose and not sure if i'm looking too deeply into varying location! A bit stressed have you though about this bit yet?

humm how about

Transport
Local: London emission zone etc
National: Accidents?
Global: Aircraft and pollution(air noise)

Environment
Local:
National: Desert? ozone depletion over Australia? Malaria belt?
Global: Global warming?

Other: Lifestyle choice? | Poverty?
local: HIV/AIDs | slums?
National: ageing population? NHS? | mega-cities?
Global: Cancers? Heart disease? | HIV/AIDs? malaria?

Any other ideas? as I am struggling

Ben

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending