Applying this late on for primary PGCE to avoid the fees...clearing chances? Watch

jualey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew how many unis tended to have primary PGCE places in clearing, as I was considering applying now for 2011 entry instead of 2012 as planned to avoid the hike in fees. I realise it's very late in the day to be doing this but any help would be really, really appreciated!
SundayGirl.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Best bet would be to do a search on GTTR for places with vacancies. Whether or not they will still have vacancies once your application has been processed is another issue. Do a search and then give them a call
jualey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I've had a look at the courses with vacancies (think the process is in extra at the minute) and there's a couple which look okay though possibly not ideal (although better than paying about triple for the course next year!) but I was more wondering about the clearing process in early July onwards, and if anyone knew how many unis would still have spaces left for primary PGCE, or had any info about past clearing spaces?
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jualey)
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I've had a look at the courses with vacancies (think the process is in extra at the minute) and there's a couple which look okay though possibly not ideal (although better than paying about triple for the course next year!) but I was more wondering about the clearing process in early July onwards, and if anyone knew how many unis would still have spaces left for primary PGCE, or had any info about past clearing spaces?
it would probably be best to get your application in ASAP, rather than wait for clearing. Still no guarantees tho
SundayGirl.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jualey)
There really isn't any way of knowing unless you phoned the uni. Some universities list that they still have vacancies when in actual fact they are vacancies for the waiting list. At this stage I agree with xKTx, you just really need to get your application in. I would recommend calling the university you wish to apply to first, just to make sure they DO have actual places so you're not wasting your time.
smileysteph
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't say year to year how many clearing spaces there will be - I guess there will be less than usual this year because people, like yourself, have decided to apply a year earlier than expected to avoid the fee hike. But it won't guarantee you a place, especially seeing as you've yet to have your application processed.

There are still many people who applied in Oct/Nov and are still hunting places because Primary PGCE's are massively oversubscribed this year.
Vanadesse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There aren't many clearing places usually, it's too competitive for that. But there are a few unis that were awarded extra places and reopened their application process, so keep an eye on things. I only applied mid Feb, had a few wasted applications that took weeks to find out they were full, had my interview last week for Worcester which was one of the ones with extra places because of such a good OFSTED inspection last year so they reopened applications for a little.
starfired
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think if you apply now through extra and don't get a place you go straight into clearing so it's worth getting your app in asap! As someone else said people who applied earlier are still getting their apps seen to by their 2nd/3rd/4th choices so if you pick providers carefully you could have a chance. I'd say go for it and try asap, you could be lucky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed