Media Work Experience Help! Watch

KatieMai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with ideas on places to apply for work experience at in Birmingham. I hope to become a journalist, or maybe if i'm lucky, a radio presenter or an actress (either within the theatre, soap, film ect).
I'm a Year 10 student and last year was asked to apply for work experience. I sent over 60 different applications to various magazines, newpapers, and radios through the bbc and elsewhere - but resulted in nothing, due to either my age or the competitive nature of the industry. I eventually had to settle with work experience at a local primary school.
However, next year (either on holidays or weekends as I will be 16 and in Year 11), I am hoping to maybe apply for work experience again within the media industry. Has anyone got any ideas for places I could apply to? Last time it seems like a lot of time was wasted applying to the main newspapers ect (as there are not many 'local' papers around). With so many of the placements in London which I wouldn't be able to attend, I am finding it hard to find many opportunities in Birmingham.
Many thanks, Katie
~ Purple Rose ~
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My sister once did work experience at a BBC station by writing to them, but that was a few years ago when placements weren't so much in demand.

Have a look at www.do-it.org.uk in case there are relevant organisations in your area. Otherwise hospital radio is a good place to start and can give you contacts at other stations if they have links.
Other options for your potential careers are free newspapers/newsletters/school newspaper/amateur dramatics etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.81%
No - but I will (111)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise