Using 1 in Integration By Parts Watch

ViralRiver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How do you know when to use it? I know you use it when integrating lnx, but now I'm doing FP3 I have to do it for integrating arsinhx, arctanx etc. But I don't know exactly which ones to use it on... so is there a definitive list or a way of knowing?
olipal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For Further Maths A level, you will be expected to use 1x(whatever you are trying to integrate) for inverse trigonometric and hyperbolic functions, and also for ln. In each case, assuming you are going by \displaystyle\int u v' = u v - \displaystyle\int u' v, let v'=1. Setting v' as the thing you were initially asked to integrate would be a bit pointless; if you are able to find v from v' then there would be no need for using this method at all
TwilightKnight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ViralRiver)
How do you know when to use it? I know you use it when integrating lnx, but now I'm doing FP3 I have to do it for integrating arsinhx, arctanx etc. But I don't know exactly which ones to use it on... so is there a definitive list or a way of knowing?
I just generally use LIATE to assign 'u' - Logarithms, Inverse(s), Algebraic, Trigonometic/Hyperbolic, Exponentials.

1 Counts as an Algebraic. If you've got an inverse, i.e, artanhx, then LIATE says to use the inverse (which is essentially a logarithm here) as u and 1 as dv/dx. Using LIATE works for any expression, so even if you didn't have to use '1', you could just use parts to integrate it, so if you want to be safe, do that. I.e, integrating tanx - if you use LIATE, you would set u=1 and dv/dx = tanx, which would give you, du/dx = 0 and v=ln(secx). If you then just plug that into the parts formula, you get the standard integral of ln(secx).

If you're asking how you're supposed to spot it in general, the general rule is that if you see something by itself, that you know doesn't integrate directly, you use u={function} and dv/dx = 1. Like you've said, in FP3 that's almost exclusively the inverses and natural logs.
ViralRiver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ahh ok, thanks a lot for the insight .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads