What accommodation is there near to Aston? Watch

Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am a white guy going into my final year in September and need ideas on where I can live. I considered Heights but it's a pretty big asian scene in there and it gets a bit noisy or so I hear. Is there a new building they've just built (not the one on campus, one out in the city centre)?
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Possibly Jennens Court, Curzon Gateway, IQ5, Canalside off the top of my head.
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jennens Court: Full. Nice idea, but serious design flaws and disastrous management.
Cosmo: Full. For some reason has been incredibly popular this year, despite being on a very unsafe street.
Canalside: Pros: Diswasher, TV and sky included. Cons: Next to a homeless/addicts half way house. Expect beggars.
Studios 51: Good location, only do studio flats so can be expensive. Managed by the same people as Jennens Court.
Curzon Gate: Nice place, further walk from uni.
Arctic_wombaT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
I am a white guy going into my final year in September and need ideas on where I can live. I considered Heights but it's a pretty big asian scene in there and it gets a bit noisy or so I hear. Is there a new building they've just built (not the one on campus, one out in the city centre)?
hey my mates and i are also looking for somewhere to stay next year, we were thinking about the Heights or Curzon, but i dont know what the Heights is like, do you think you could elaborate on what you mean by it having a pretty big asian scene, as i havent heard much about what its like? cheers
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
hey my mates and i are also looking for somewhere to stay next year, we were thinking about the Heights or Curzon, but i dont know what the Heights is like, do you think you could elaborate on what you mean by it having a pretty big asian scene, as i havent heard much about what its like? cheers
a lot of south asians live there and it's kind of 'their thing' so it may be a bit out of place for a white guy to go there.
Arctic_wombaT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
a lot of south asians live there and it's kind of 'their thing' so it may be a bit out of place for a white guy to go there.
ok yeah fair enough thanks,
also i heard that there might be some accomodation at the hive flats next to jennens, which look very posh but are only around £110 a week, which is the same as curzon really
and you might want to check out londonderry house as well, above scruffy murphy's too
i live in jennens this year and it's pretty decent to be fair although maybe fully booked for next year
DesiChild
Report 7 years ago
lol i am asian and i lived in heights, its not 'our thing', its just that asians don't mind paying the rent, whilst white people prefer cheaper options such as houses, your more than welcome to go there- no one bites... its a bit like how the black people go to canalside

curzon will be full of indians too! trust me its the new heights
and i lived at jennes one year, and there were asians there too, but i think jennens is kinda booked up now, but if u want less asians- go to jennens
DesiChild
Report 7 years ago
and btw we are not 'south asians' we're all british asians
gem89
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I lived at Heights last year and I think we were the only white flat on the complex but its all cool I didn't feel out of place at all in fact I think now I have more asian friends than white friends its scary at first but we all mix
bhavi
Report 7 years ago
hi!
so i'm going to be a fresher at aston this september and am looking to sort accommodation out, im looking at heights however have got mixed views on it :s
some posts describe it as being grotty and dirty? but then others have had a positive experience there? i'd appreciate it if you could give me your opinion on your experience there,

was it overall good/bad?
what were/are the pros/cons of living at heights? is it apparently as dirty/grotty as i have read?
and is there a majority of aston students?
and how many of them are freshers, as im going to be coming in through clearing i feel im unlikely to get my first choice of aston campus accomm, and wanting to be in a more freshers environment in my first year
what's the management like, are they helpful?
and any more helpful advice would be much appreciated,
thanks!
WCHS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bhavi)
hi!
so i'm going to be a fresher at aston this september and am looking to sort accommodation out, im looking at heights however have got mixed views on it :s
some posts describe it as being grotty and dirty? but then others have had a positive experience there? i'd appreciate it if you could give me your opinion on your experience there,

was it overall good/bad?
what were/are the pros/cons of living at heights? is it apparently as dirty/grotty as i have read?
and is there a majority of aston students?
and how many of them are freshers, as im going to be coming in through clearing i feel im unlikely to get my first choice of aston campus accomm, and wanting to be in a more freshers environment in my first year
what's the management like, are they helpful?
and any more helpful advice would be much appreciated,
thanks!
Hey bhavi,
Im going aston this year too And unfortunatelyy, i missed my offers for my firm and insurance so i got in through clearing too, so im in the same position as you. I've applied for heights, a friend of mine stayed there last year and he said it was pretty decent! And has quite a lot of Aston students, but then again it changes year to year. So yeah!

PS: What course are you looking to go on?
Lady-T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to disagree FireDeuce.
I'm confused as to why Cosmo is said to be on a 'very unsafe street'- it's opposite Heights, and Studio 51 is around the corner! I've never had a problem there.

If anything, Curzon is in a very scary area- security put me off with his stories, that street has had known robberies but if you're not alone it's ok. I think that's got places left, Jennens & Cosmo is booked out with a waiting list.
DJSKYLINE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lady-T)
If anything, Curzon is in a very scary area- security put me off with his stories, that street has had known robberies but if you're not alone it's ok. I think that's got places left, Jennens & Cosmo is booked out with a waiting list.
agreed. tbh im a guy and was scared enough walking down them roads to visit friends at curzon. definately passing the big old creepy building half torn apart!
bhavi
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WCHS)
Hey bhavi,
Im going aston this year too And unfortunatelyy, i missed my offers for my firm and insurance so i got in through clearing too, so im in the same position as you. I've applied for heights, a friend of mine stayed there last year and he said it was pretty decent! And has quite a lot of Aston students, but then again it changes year to year. So yeah!

PS: What course are you looking to go on?

hey! yeh i asked people i know who went to aston and am getting mixed opinions, but it should be ok, my concern was more whether there'd be many freshers, but yup it changes year to year. it's not actually me going to aston! i was asking on behalf of a friend, they're going onto chemical engineering, how about yourself?
codesnifer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Room available in Birmingham - Londonderry House

Hello all,
There is a room available in Londonderry House, very close to Aston University in Birmingham.
Londonderry House is a student accommodation.
The room is a large, en suite room (shower and toilet) and has large desk space. The cost is £120 a week.

Within a few minutes walk there is a Tescos, and the city centre is also close.

Please contact me for more details.

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise