Something filling to break the fast? Watch

MelissaJayne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've been having plain oats for breakfast every morning for well over two years now, and upon ANOTHER bowl today I just felt a bit bored with it. Only thing is, I get up at 6 and need it to fill me up til lunch time, so I figured the slow release carbs was the only option. Does anybody know of any other breakfasts that really fill you up but isn't watery porridge? :\
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
3 Weetabix and a slice or 2 of toast?

And :five: on saying 'break the fast' like I do :ahee:
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to have a piece of toast (either white or wholemeal) with cherry tomatoes on (either cold or grilled), which fills you up loads.

Or a poached egg on toast?
Weetabix with some yoghurt or fruit?
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Willum Infanta)
3 Weetabix and a slice or 2 of toast?

And :five: on saying 'break the fast' like I do :ahee:
:five:

yeah, I did think Weetabix..but wondered if I'd soon get bored with that too. Maybe I'll consider a porridge/weetabix schedule where I swap between the two every now and then. :cool:
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't have to make porridge with water...I prefer it with milk.

Also, try adding apple, cinnamon and raisins to it. Porridge the way it was meant to be.
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MelissaJayne)
:five:

yeah, I did think Weetabix..but wondered if I'd soon get bored with that too. Maybe I'll consider a porridge/weetabix schedule where I swap between the two every now and then. :cool:
Weetabix do get boring I know, then you could maybe try Jordan's country crisp? It's pretty expensive for what you get though... :grr:
Bella_Cullen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MelissaJayne)
I've been having plain oats for breakfast every morning for well over two years now, and upon ANOTHER bowl today I just felt a bit bored with it. Only thing is, I get up at 6 and need it to fill me up til lunch time, so I figured the slow release carbs was the only option. Does anybody know of any other breakfasts that really fill you up but isn't watery porridge? :\
I'm a muesli addict - Lidl sells a really nice Swiss-style muesli (a bit like Alpen, but cheaper) and it's really filling and tasty.
Bella_Cullen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
You don't have to make porridge with water...I prefer it with milk.

Also, try adding apple, cinnamon and raisins to it. Porridge the way it was meant to be.
Or maple syrup. Porridge with maple syrup is divine!

This thread is making me hungry.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bella_Cullen)
Or maple syrup. Porridge with maple syrup is divine!

This thread is making me hungry.
I crumbled a hobnob in as well once. Godly.
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Poached egg on a slice of brown toast x 2 is yum yum yummy in the morning.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Eggs, mushrooms and toast will fill you up nicely. Lots of protein is the key!
Cypriots
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hm im not a fan off breakfast, I last from 7am-5pm with no food throughout weekdays.
I think if you eat in the morning it makes you hungrier throughout the day.. or maybe thats just me?
anyway.. id go for two toasts with butter if i had to eat anything.
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There was a thread about what to put in porridge a while ago, if you want to make it more interesting.

Or if you fancy being colonial, you could try kedgeree.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

LittleGee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
- weetabix with blueberries / strawberries/ banana - change thefruit each day
- bran flakes
- supermarkets own make of shreddies - malted wheats (think they taste nicer than shreddies)
TotoMimo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I personally love a big fruit salad (if you have the cash to burn, the single best option is Marks and Spencer 2 for £5 premium fruit salad, a full one, in a bowl) with a Marks and Sparks Count on Us Rhubarb/Vanilla/Strawberry yoghurt over the top. Fills me for LOADS of hours and it's 185 kcal in total.

Add in a chocolate weetabix or a portion of all bran and 300 calories gives you a monster brekkers.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Scrambled eggs on brown toast.
DLJ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
Eggs, mushrooms and toast will fill you up nicely. Lots of protein is the key!
This. Massively. I watched a programme about the problem of feeling hungry all too soon after breakfast. I think they experimented 3 different meals- porridge, fry up and scrambled eggs, toast, beans and bits of ham. Guess which meal made them feel full for longer? That's right, the scrambled eggs, toast, beans and ham. The expert person said that the protein in the beans, eggs and ham filled them up and the toast gave the much needed nutrition.

Protein, protein, protein. :borat:.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Willum Infanta)
Weetabix do get boring I know, then you could maybe try Jordan's country crisp? It's pretty expensive for what you get though... :grr:
and ludicrously high in fat.

And go for Asdas own brand one, lower in fat and almost identical in taste (if anything i prefer it)
TotoMimo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
and ludicrously high in fat.

And go for Asdas own brand one, lower in fat and almost identical in taste (if anything i prefer it)
Heheh, one of my buddies was shocked to hear his favourite Crunchy Nut cereals have more fat, sugar and calories than eating ice cream cookie sandwiches for breakfast. "But it's breakfast cereal!" He exclaimed.

No, if you crunch up hobnobs, dairy milk, millionaire shortbread and cream cakes into a bowl, then shove some flakes in there with it, it doesn't automatically become "a breakfast cereal." And it CERTAINLY doesn't morph it into a healthy dish!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.29%
No - but I will (4)
3.39%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (65)
55.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise