The Student Room Group

What will happen to Pakistan now considering Bin ladens been hiding there ?

Poll

What will happen to Pakistan now considering Bin ladens been hiding there?

What will happen to Pakistan now considering Bin ladens been hiding there for all this time possibly?

I'd like to believe that a dramatic government change will take place and that Perpetrators who helped Bin laden would be brought to justice.
But I reckon its more like: Senior Pakistani officials will be questioned but will lead no where. Case closed soon after...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's not the only terrorist to come from Pakistan and won't be the last.
Reply 2
I should imagine a few government and military employees will lose a large portion of their income.
Original post by Broderss
He's not the only terrorist to come from Pakistan and won't be the last.

I know but the West have been protecting Pakistan for too long now...even against their own interests!
Reply 4
Pakistan is more complicated than people on here are imagining. Now I'am willing to bet my balls that no one in the military establishment or the government knew of the whereabouts of Bin Laden but that certain elements in the ISI were responsible and these are the elements which must now be destroyed by the army as they refuse to realise which way the wind is going and what is best for Pakistan. The situation in Pakistan is unique in that the intelligence services and the army are autonomous and indeed more powerful and influential than the weak corrupt government- the leader of which is the most corrupt man in Pakistan with approval ratings of around 10%.

Nothing will happen- no sanctions etc. as the West NEEDS Pakistan for a whole variety of things with the country being by far the biggest factor in terms of how the war in Afghanistan works out. An invasion is impossible and will result in an enormous quagmire outdoing Vietnam by an enormous margin with at least 200,000 US troops dying I'd imagine.
Reply 5
Original post by slavetosociety
I know but the West have been protecting Pakistan for too long now...even against their own interests!

How many people has the West sacrificed in this war and how many have we? Who has caught most of the leading terrorist figures?

Original post by Inzamam99
Pakistan is more complicated than people on here are imagining. Now I'am willing to bet my balls that no one in the military establishment or the government knew of the whereabouts of Bin Laden but that certain elements in the ISI were responsible and these are the elements which must now be destroyed by the army as they refuse to realise which way the wind is going and what is best for Pakistan. The situation in Pakistan is unique in that the intelligence services and the army are autonomous and indeed more powerful and influential than the weak corrupt government- the leader of which is the most corrupt man in Pakistan with approval ratings of around 10%.

Nothing will happen- no sanctions etc. as the West NEEDS Pakistan for a whole variety of things with the country being by far the biggest factor in terms of how the war in Afghanistan works out. An invasion is impossible and will result in an enormous quagmire outdoing Vietnam by an enormous margin with at least 200,000 US troops dying I'd imagine.

You know, they could always stick two middle fingers up and say: "You've been helping Bin Laden hide all this time :angry:? Goodbye! Sort your own mess now."
No need for war :smile:

:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Inzamam99
Pakistan is more complicated than people on here are imagining. Now I'am willing to bet my balls that no one in the military establishment or the government knew of the whereabouts of Bin Laden

seriously?

say goodbye to your testicles.

I've just seen ongoing news and a 12 year old boy had visited the compound where Osama lived a few times - he knew about Osama and his wives.

A 12 year old local boy knew the whereabouts of Osama.

I have every confidence that Pakistani officials knew.
Nothing, This government won't do ****, And will still give them £610million a year to fund their schools 0.o, Maybe we should revoke that, Then see how pissed they'll get?
Original post by ShadowConspiracy
Nothing, This government won't do ****, And will still give them £610million a year to fund their schools 0.o, Maybe we should revoke that, Then see how pissed they'll get?

Fund their schools? Don't be silly. Pakistan has one of the highest expenditures on Military alone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
seriously?

say goodbye to your testicles.

I've just seen ongoing news and a 12 year old boy had visited the compound where Osama lived a few times - he knew about Osama and his wives.

A 12 year old local boy knew the whereabouts of Osama.

I have every confidence that Pakistani officials knew.

Its natural for the Pakistani government to deny such claims even though they are at fault. Any government in the same position would have done the same.
Reply 11
I think Pakistan should head for a new direction without the USA or the West for that matter. Look at where it got Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Hosni Mubarak, Ben Ali- all were their stooges at one point, then the USA got rid & froze their assets which was funnily enough donated by them with 'aid'. Friends quickly turn into enemies.

A time will come for Zardari.
Its natural for the Pakistani government to deny such claims even though they are at fault. Any government in the same position would have done the same.

That doesn't justify anything.
Original post by Hamesh
I think Pakistan should head for a new direction without the USA or the West for that matter. Look at where it got Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Hosni Mubarak, Ben Ali- all were their stooges at one point, then the USA got rid & froze their assets which was funnily enough donated by them with 'aid'. Friends quickly turn into enemies.

A time will come for Zardari.

Lets hope its this year.
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
That doesn't justify anything.

By God, it doesn't indeed. lol :colondollar:
Fund their schools? Don't be silly. Pakistan has one of the highest expenditures on Military alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_aid_to_Pakistan

United Kingdom

United Kingdom has pledged £665 million to Pakistan from 2009-2013.

That country would be in the stone ages if it wasn't for the aid it receives?

http://www.forexpk.com/from-international-desk/special-reports/p665-million-assistance-promised-uk-has-no-objection-to-ip-deal-says-hague.html
Maybe get a slap on the wrist, reprimanded in some way

We ll have to wait and see really, I'm sure some higher ups in Pakistan knew Osama was there though, 'I wonder who would live in a massive compound with 18 foot high walls at some points like this'... I thought he fled a long way from Afghanistan and turns out he was in the neighbouring country... epic failfor intelligence
Reply 17
Lets hope its this year.

The minute he says no to US 'aid', his head will be on a chopping block.
I get a feeling Pakistan is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm sure Pakistan understands its obligations and renewed commitment to the 'war on terror', but on the other hand wants to secure its future. For eg. If the perceived threat from India turns into an attack, will Pakistan have international backing and support from its allies (US and UK), or will it be left to fight alone and thus could do with the Taliban?
Reply 19
I doubt the UK would back pakistan over India tbh...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending