I am 22 and don't have any work experience, how do I get work references? Watch

Who's the daddy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need a job, because I haven't really had to work because my parent's have always paid for stuff for me. I know it's wrong, but that's the way it has turned out, but now I need references to give to an employer, but I literally don't have any at all. What do I do?
Amyy496
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
did u do anything whilst u were in school/college like organise fundraisers or take part in extra curricular activities?
that could carry a little weight..

charlesdance
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Volunteer
neo112
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whats more important? Qualifications or work experience? ( obv work exp)
Iam afraid you will need to apply mcdonalds
threeportdrift
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Who's the daddy)
I need a job, because I haven't really had to work because my parent's have always paid for stuff for me. I know it's wrong, but that's the way it has turned out, but now I need references to give to an employer, but I literally don't have any at all. What do I do?
Ask other people for references ie any coach, head of a club/society, tutor, lecturer, faith leader etc.

If an employer specifically asks for a work reference, you just have to say you don't have a work reference, but offer them a specific alternative.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
tutors or lecturers
thecaterpillar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use university tutors, neighbours, friends of the family, people like that who know you and can vouch for your qualities. Now may be the time to call up people you did work experience with.

If you really have absolutely no one, maybe you could try volunteering or applying for internships or something for a bit.
lazy smurf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How? Not even a paper round?
xDave-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used my teachers at first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
38.13%
No - but I will (5)
3.13%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.5%

Watched Threads