The Student Room Group

I am 22 and don't have any work experience, how do I get work references?

I need a job, because I haven't really had to work because my parent's have always paid for stuff for me. I know it's wrong, but that's the way it has turned out, but now I need references to give to an employer, but I literally don't have any at all. What do I do?
Reply 1
did u do anything whilst u were in school/college like organise fundraisers or take part in extra curricular activities?
that could carry a little weight..

:smile:
Volunteer
Reply 3
Whats more important? Qualifications or work experience? ( obv work exp)
Iam afraid you will need to apply mcdonalds
Original post by Who's the daddy
I need a job, because I haven't really had to work because my parent's have always paid for stuff for me. I know it's wrong, but that's the way it has turned out, but now I need references to give to an employer, but I literally don't have any at all. What do I do?

Ask other people for references ie any coach, head of a club/society, tutor, lecturer, faith leader etc.

If an employer specifically asks for a work reference, you just have to say you don't have a work reference, but offer them a specific alternative.
tutors or lecturers
Use university tutors, neighbours, friends of the family, people like that who know you and can vouch for your qualities. Now may be the time to call up people you did work experience with.

If you really have absolutely no one, maybe you could try volunteering or applying for internships or something for a bit.
How? Not even a paper round?
Reply 8
I used my teachers at first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending