I got on wrong train, do I blame myself or complain due to getting through barrier? Watch

drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As in theres 2 stations around corner from each other and both go to same train station just a different route.

I got my ticket online and normally you can use either station as its the same price, but mine was a little bit cheaper but said "anytime" so it wasnt an advance ticket.

I collected ticket at machine next to barriers and then it didnt let me through so the guard looked at it and told me it was ok then opened barrier for me.

When i was on train I was told it was wrong train(different company which is why it was about 50p cheaper) so I would have to pay the normal single fare which was almost £10 more and couldnt use my 16-25 railcard!

Now true enough I was at wrong station but the staff shouldnt of let me through barrier.

What would you do?
efn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
your stupid, you should blame yourself
Sim188
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blame yourself, and don't bring such a silly question onto here.

Just go to the station it says your train departs from!
Dumb Economist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is like saying I sat in the 'first class' and it is barrier guy's fault for letting me in. It is your job to make sure you were in the right train.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If the barriers had let you through, you would have a fair claim. However a bit of human nature comes into play due to the guard - he assumes that you are wanting to get on Company X's train because you're trying to go through the barrier.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blame yourself.

Where there are different stations close together, quite often the ticket will technically be allowed to either one. If you are travelling to London for example, quite often the ticket will say "London Terminals" rather than a specific station.

Also, the barriers don't always read the data on the ticket. Sometimes they just make sure its a valid ticket, and don't check the stations.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Blame yourself.

Where there are different stations close together, quite often the ticket will technically be allowed to either one. If you are travelling to London for example, quite often the ticket will say "London Terminals" rather than a specific station.

Also, the barriers don't always read the data on the ticket. Sometimes they just make sure its a valid ticket, and don't check the stations.
There is only 2 stations in the place I am so its not as if there was loads and normally tickets work for either station.

Also the ticket didnt specify what station just said the town.
the_neg_master_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dont blame yourself.

Sorry mistyped it.. Dont blame the guard
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
There is only 2 stations in the place I am so its not as if there was loads and normally tickets work for either station.

Also the ticket didnt specify what station just said the town.
Are you sure it wasn't a ticket that was marked as via a specific train company?
Eg - going from Exeter to Bristol you can buy tickets that are slightly cheaper but are specifically marked "FGW only".
drbluebox
Rep:
?
Are you sure it wasn't a ticket that was marked as via a specific train company?
Eg - going from Exeter to Bristol you can buy tickets that are slightly cheaper but are specifically marked "FGW only".
I looked but nope, but apparantly the ticket price was only for certain trains i.e instead of the local trains (run by First) I should of got a Crosscountry but the ticket had nothing for the route.
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good god people here are stupid and hypocritical. And I'm not talking about the OP. The machine wouldn't let him through meaning it was the wrong train, if a machine can tell him something that a human security guard cannot, where technology has over taken us in terms of intelligence, what's the point employing the dosey ****er then? He was being half arsed about his job, and even if you were being half arsed and not paying attention, the guard if being paid to do what he does, no one pays you to live your life.

To conclude, you were not in the wrong, life is unfair, TSR is full of idiots.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by edd360)
Good god people here are stupid and hypocritical. And I'm not talking about the OP. The machine wouldn't let him through meaning it was the wrong train, if a machine can tell him something that a human security guard cannot, where technology has over taken us in terms of intelligence, what's the point employing the dosey ****er then? He was being half arsed about his job, and even if you were being half arsed and not paying attention, the guard if being paid to do what he does, no one pays you to live your life.

At the end of the day, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the right tickets and get on the right train.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
(Original post by edd360)

That was similar to my thinking, the guard should of realised it was a invalid ticket(since they normally turn people away with wrong tickets as have seen it at the station before) but this one took it off me and checked it for like a minute and told me it was ok, I actually asked him to confirm and he said yes!
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I looked but nope, but apparantly the ticket price was only for certain trains i.e instead of the local trains (run by First) I should of got a Crosscountry but the ticket had nothing for the route.
Seems odd. Any restrictions are usually quite clearly marked on the ticket, or are made clear when you book.

Was the journey one that can only be done from one of the stations (Yeovil stations are a good example of this, two stations quite close to each other, but on totally seperate lines - one goes from Bristol to Weymouth and the other from London to Plymouth).
drbluebox
Rep:
?
At the end of the day, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the right tickets and get on the right train.
I would of got on the right train had I had a minute to check the ticket, but since the guard came up to me within seconds of it being rejected and then let me through I had no opportunity to check.

I would of walked to the other station since theres no barriers there anyway and theres trains every 15 minutes.

The main reason I put this thread up was due to the ticket guard letting me through after confirming ticket was fine was that I had no chance to check my tickets so if he hadnt of rushed me through I would of had no problem getting the correct train.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That was similar to my thinking, the guard should of realised it was a invalid ticket(since they normally turn people away with wrong tickets as have seen it at the station before) but this one took it off me and checked it for like a minute and told me it was ok, I actually asked him to confirm and he said yes!
Sadly guards do sometimes get things wrong, and the responsibility is still on the passanger to have the right ticket and get on the right train. It can be a nightmare, especially when some staff have the ability to use their discretion when accepting / rejecting a ticket.

I would of got on the right train had I had a minute to check the ticket, but since the guard came up to me within seconds of it being rejected and then let me through I had no opportunity to check.

I would of walked to the other station since theres no barriers there anyway and theres trains every 15 minutes.

The main reason I put this thread up was due to the ticket guard letting me through after confirming ticket was fine was that I had no chance to check my tickets so if he hadnt of rushed me through I would of had no problem getting the correct train.
What do you mean rushed you :confused:
I don't get how someone can rush you to go through barriers at a train station. If you want to check your ticket, just step to one side.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
Seems odd. Any restrictions are usually quite clearly marked on the ticket, or are made clear when you book.

Was the journey one that can only be done from one of the stations (Yeovil stations are a good example of this, two stations quite close to each other, but on totally seperate lines - one goes from Bristol to Weymouth and the other from London to Plymouth).
There is 2 different routes yes, but the tickets are normally interchangable but they are normally day returns and since I just wanted a single I found one slightly cheaper than the others and it said "anytime" not "advance" which is why I triple checked(and more) when I booked.

So whatever station you get on normally you can go through barriers at this station and they end up on same route near end.

I just planned to get this one originally as it takes about 15 minutes less than the other and the train at other station wasnt due for like 30 minutes.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
Sadly guards do sometimes get things wrong, and the responsibility is still on the passanger to have the right ticket and get on the right train. It can be a nightmare, especially when some staff have the ability to use their discretion when accepting / rejecting a ticket.

What do you mean rushed you :confused:
I don't get how someone can rush you to go through barriers at a train station. If you want to check your ticket, just step to one side.
I put the ticket in, it didnt work and he came right over(since its common) and then took it and then told me it was fine and used his keys and handed me back ticket and there was other people waiting and he was like "there you go"

EDIT : just going to get another train now as just in pub so may not reply to tonight or tommorow.
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not when I'm paying people do to this **** for me. If trains were free then yes, certainly fair enough. But they're not.
ella4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
youself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.3%
No - but I will (38)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (255)
47.05%

Watched Threads